[SERIE A] Cagliari - Juventus (21st September, 2008) (18 Viewers)

DiDoz

Jun 23, 2007
I wasn't kidding and i don't know if you got it or not, but it's true that the coaches choose not to put their new players (unless they are proven stars), especially the younger players, directly into the fire. They like to introduce the young players slowly and to go step by step.
Usually they start by giving them 15-20 minutes as subs, when the team is leading and there is no pressure. Then it's up to the players to take their chance and earn their place in the starting XI.
Ranieri was doing that with most of the new signings.
but Gio isn't an inexperienced player, he got both Serie A and internationals experience, at least he's as experienced as De Ceglie and Marchisio, still these 2 players get their playing time but Gio was totally neglected

Plus we were playing against a very weak team and Nedved was definitely exhausted and still he played the whole 90 mins, maybe starting with Marchionni and Gio is risky, but he could be brought in in the 2nd half

I am desperate to see Gio play because I'm afraid we lose the kid, he'll be like: no pay and no play, i'm leaving

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006
De Ceglie has to compete with Molinaro to play
Marchisio has to compete with Poulsen to play
Giovinco has to compete with either Nedved or Camoranesi or else Iaquinta/Del Piero/Amauri/Trezeguet.

I believe that is why he has had no playing time so far

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
About today, i agree that Giovinco could have started this match. But you all forgot that Amauri, Sissoko, Iaquinta, De Ceglie made their serie A debuts for Juve as subs. Ibrahimovic under Capello, Del Piero under Lippi etc...all of them debuted as subs.
Come on. If this is really his methodology, it's just dumb. I don't really understand it. I mean, it's not like we're talking about teenagers here that are hot prospects and nothing else. Giovinco has played for us in Serie B and has a whole season under his belt in Serie A. If he really is as good as what people make him out to be, he should already have a solid part in the team, but right now he doesn't and he probably won't have one for a while. I want to get down to the bottom of this.

And Amauri and Marchisio started in Florence. So what you're saying is Marchisio is a veteran player now? IMO this is just silly stuff here.

Guys u know that its ramadan right, obviously he is fasting
This is just silly imo.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
Giovinco has to compete with either Nedved or Camoranesi or else Iaquinta/Del Piero/Amauri/Trezeguet.

but he should have definitely played today...these would have been tomorrow's headlines

"Giovinco: the next Del Piero has arrived!"

would have been heavenly :cry:

DiDoz

Jun 23, 2007

It's not about competition, our manager is supposed to be called "Tinkerman" for a reason,
Following your logic, Iaquinta should compete with DP,Trez and Amauri to play, that means he'll get zero playing time, but it's different

Giovinco could have easily started instead of Nedved today, or replace him in the second half

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
but he should have definitely played today...these would have been tomorrow's headlines

Instead, we'll start hearing headlines of, "Ranieri Row with Giovinco" or "Flop Giovinco Seeks Flight Out of Turin."

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
It's not about competition, our manager is supposed to be called "Tinkerman" for a reason,
Following your logic, Iaquinta should compete with DP,Trez and Amauri to play, that means he'll get zero playing time, but it's different

Giovinco could have easily started instead of Nedved today, or replace him in the second half
Tinkerman :howler: yeah sure. What a joke.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
but Gio isn't an inexperienced player, he got both Serie A and internationals experience, at least he's as experienced as De Ceglie and Marchisio, still these 2 players get their playing time but Gio was totally neglected

Plus we were playing against a very weak team and Nedved was definitely exhausted and still he played the whole 90 mins, maybe starting with Marchionni and Gio is risky, but he could be brought in in the 2nd half

I am desperate to see Gio play because I'm afraid we lose the kid, he'll be like: no pay and no play, i'm leaving
We all want Giovinco to play.
I, and i'm sure many others here, were looking forward to this season mostly because of Giovinco.
Personally i was angry and sad when i saw De Ceglie entering the game as our third sub.

But if you put your emotions away and if you look at things realistically and logically, you'll see that it was hard to expect Giovinco to play today, if you have in mind the injury of Buffon, the timing of Marchisio's injury and the awful match Sissoko had.
Like i said, i'm sure Ranieri planned to give Gio playing time and to introduce him gradually into the first team. But some unplanned things happened and we should wait for the next match to see Seba play.

Don't make an elephant out of a fly. Everyone in Italy, including Ranieri, is aware of Seba's talent and i'm sure he'll get playing time and take his chance with both hands.
Just a little patience and everything will be fine.

Paolo Sosa

Nov 11, 2005
Come on. If this is really his methodology, it's just dumb. I don't really understand it. I mean, it's not like we're talking about teenagers here that are hot prospects and nothing else. Giovinco has played for us in Serie B and has a whole season under his belt in Serie A. If he really is as good as what people make him out to be, he should already have a solid part in the team, but right now he doesn't and he probably won't have one for a while. I want to get down to the bottom of this.

And Amauri and Marchisio started in Florence. So what you're saying is Marchisio is a veteran player now? IMO this is just silly stuff here.

This is just silly imo.
why is it silly Andy ?

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
Don't make an elephant out of a fly. Everyone in Italy, including Ranieri, is aware of Seba's talent and i'm sure he'll get playing time and take his chance with both hands.
Did you get that from Claudio Ranieri's Book of Phrases? :p

DiDoz

Jun 23, 2007
We all want Giovinco to play.
I, and i'm sure many others here, were looking forward to this season mostly because of Giovinco.
Personally i was angry and sad when i saw De Ceglie entering the game as our third sub.

But if you put your emotions away and if you look at things realistically and logically, you'll see that it was hard to expect Giovinco to play today, if you have in mind the injury of Buffon, the timing of Marchisio's injury and the awful match Sissoko had.
Like i said, i'm sure Ranieri planned to give Gio playing time and to introduce him gradually into the first team. But some unplanned things happened and we should wait for the next match to see Seba play.

The same here, although I think that happened kinda late, maybe in the last 15 mins of the game (correct me if i'm wrong), which isn't enough playing time for Gio

Anyways, I hope you're right and Ranieri wont screw Giovinco's future with us

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007

This is just silly imo.
Marchisio played +20 matches for Juve and in Florence Sissoko was suspended while Zanetti was injured. He played because we had no other option in CM (unless you'd start with the guy who locked the director in the toilet the very same day).
Amauri was a ~25m eur signing. You can't put him on the bench just like that. Plus, Trez was unavailable on that match.

Giovinco played ~30 minutes for us in his career and his rival for a place in today's match was Pavel Nedved.
You don't put a ballon d'or winner, a Juve legend, on the bench just like that, so some kid (no matter how talented) will take his place. And this kid didn't start a single match for Juve in his life.
I'm sure Giovinco will take Pavel's place one day. But it can't happen over night, without deserving his place.
Giovinco will first have to play 20 minutes. Then 30, then 45 and when he'll prove that his better than Nedved (or Del Piero, Amauri, Trez), he'll play regularly.

That's life and that's how things stand in every aspect of our lives. It's an unwritten rule.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Marchisio played +20 matches for Juve and in Florence Sissoko was suspended while Zanetti was injured. He played because we had no other option in CM (unless you'd start with the guy who locked the director in the toilet the very same day).
Amauri was a ~25m eur signing. You can't put him on the bench just like that. Plus, Trez was unavailable on that match.

Giovinco played ~30 minutes for us in his career and his rival for a place in today's match was Pavel Nedved.
You don't put a ballon d'or winner, a Juve legend, on the bench just like that, so some kid (no matter how talented) will take his place. And this kid didn't start a single match for Juve in his life.
I'm sure Giovinco will take Pavel's place one day. But it can't happen over night, without deserving his place.
Giovinco will first have to play 20 minutes. Then 30, then a half and when he'll prove that his better than Nedved (or Del Piero, Amauri, Trez), he'll play regularly.

That's life and that's how things stand in every aspect of our lives. It's an unwritten rule.
Well, one could argue the opposite and say that Juventus legends shouldn't be guaranteed a spot on the team sheet, just like Del Piero with Zlatan. I'm not necessarily saying the kid should start, but with all these people saying it's "too risky" to play Giovinco in various situations it really brings up questions, like whether or not he should play at all if we're so scared about the risk associated in playing a damn creative player for a change.

So, if we only bring Giovinco on after we're wining 3-0 or whatever due to this "risk", when the game is practically already over and we're just going through the usual motions, Giovinco probably will not do much impressing. Why? Well, I don't think I have to answer that one as it's pretty obvious.

I think it's rather strange how anything related to creativity is just deemed as "too risky". It's rather telling of our frailties at the back and just the way we have been run over the years.

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006

I thought Giovinco was going to start, and was disappointed that he didn't play.

I'm not sticking up for Ranieri, i wanted Seba to play today, maybe even start, but things turned out differently than planned. Buffon and Marchisio's injuries, and Sissoko's bad game meant that Giovinco couldn't be played.

Iaquinta does not get much playing time either cause of the fierce competition. Today he played because Del Piero and Trez were injured. I'm not saying Iaquinta is not good, but he is our 4th choice striker, who can play both as a support striker or the main one.
Giovinco thus is either our 5th striker, or else our 2nd left winger, and Ranieri, as Alen said, is not going to drop a ballon d'or winner to give a player a chance, no matter how talented. Would Alex Ferguson drop Ronaldo to give Chris Eagles a chance? I know there is no comparison between Eagles and Giovinco, but its the same concept.

Hopefully in the next few games we see more of Giovinco though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 18)