Serie A 2023-24 (57 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
we need a system, that's unquestionably true, but we need quality too. we're one chiesa injury/drop of form away from being the least potent juventus i can remember
Both our over reliance on chiesa and his potential injury(overuse) are because of lack of system. A system would get the best out of what we have which imo is enough for this iteration of serie a, even with a lackluster mid. More balls will mask holes in quality.

Buy on AliExpress.com

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Both our over reliance on chiesa and his potential injury(overuse) are because of lack of system. A system would get the best out of what we have which imo is enough for this iteration of serie a, even with a lackluster mid. More balls will mask holes in quality.
as i said having a system could help to an extent. but we do lack quality. just check our players' performances with their previous clubs, neither of them were world class players then suddenly became meh. kostic, chiesa and vlahovic are all right, two of them started the season surprisingly well, we can't expect too much consistently from the rest though.

and you can't really teach balls to grown up people. guys like tevez, licht, mandzukic, chiellini (et al) grew them already before they became well known professionals. they could build some confidence through winning a series of matches, that's our best chance.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
as i said having a system could help to an extent. but we do lack quality. just check our players' performances with their previous clubs, neither of them were world class players then suddenly became meh. kostic, chiesa and vlahovic are all right, two of them started the season surprisingly well, we can't expect too much consistently from the rest though.

and you can't really teach balls to grown up people. guys like tevez, licht, mandzukic, chiellini (et al) grew them already before they became well known professionals. they could build some confidence through winning a series of matches, that's our best chance.
I disagree, this is a weak ass serie a and we don't have any euro competitions. I also believe a true leader will instill the balls and psychology for a team to be ruthless killers. If you believe in the mystique of a real madrid, then you have to believe in a leader effecting players the same way.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I’d say it’s somewhere in between what you and @s4tch are saying. I think we have an inferior squad to Inter, but only Inter, and the difference isn’t that big. With good coaching (both motivation and tactics) our two sides should leave the rest of Serie A behind, especially given that we aren’t playing in Europe this year. We should be able to pull off ~85 pts with this squad imo.

Mokku

Apr 17, 2019
It's not so much about the squad because we are capable and now flexible to play different styles. It's that shitty manager. We could win Serie A by putting in those nauseating 1-0 wins against the mid and bottom teams, but not when you lose like that to Sassuolo. We hold out for a draw in the tough games and I could see us doing it, but our performance under pressure is terrible. I've not seen an exciting or commanding performance in 2 years that would suggest us winning anything.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
We definitely lack quality, look at our lineups. But this is a weak league and getting a coach that could create a structure and proper gameplan would go a long way for us. Look at Pioli at Milan or even Inzaghi at Lazio before the covid interuption, they weren't strong teams but they were organised and picking up results led to a momentum that grew.

This team is too disjointed (partly from poor squad planning and also bad coaching).

At this stage, given the quality of the league even just being the team that runs the most would go a long way but we lack that too.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
We definitely have a weaker squad that Inter. Their team is well planned by Marotta for Inzaghi's vision. We are talking about a team that won the scudetto more recently than us and just reached a CL final.

Thats on top of the fact that at the moment we don't play in a manner that would lead to winning Serie A. Allegri hasn't been able to get the team to play better than the sum of its parts.

Pioli, Inzaghi, Spalletti, Gasperini, De Zerbi, Italiano, Palladino all do better at the moment.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
We definitely have a weaker squad that Inter. Their team is well planned by Marotta for Inzaghi's vision. We are talking about a team that won the scudetto more recently than us and just reached a CL final.

Thats on top of the fact that at the moment we don't play in a manner that would lead to winning Serie A. Allegri hasn't been able to get the team to play better than the sum of its parts.

Pioli, Inzaghi, Spalletti, Gasperini, De Zerbi, Italiano, Palladino all do better at the moment.
First and last paragraphs contradict each other.
We were third on the pitch last year, with essentially the same squad and were tied on pts with Inter (and ahead of all the managers you mentioned, other than Spalletti).

Strickland

May 17, 2019
my point was that efficiency is not important if you score a shit load of goals. ronaldo had a conversion rate of around 15-17% throughout his top5 career (didn't check, might be inaccurate for this very season, and i bet it's much better in the saudi league), while haaland was above 30% last season. even osimhen converted like 25% during last season. still, ronaldo is an elite shooter, and his conversion rate mustn't even be brought into this debate

and berardi isn't any different. he scores a lot, and that's what elite shooters (whoever they are) are supposed to do
But Berardi doesnt score shitload of goals, he takes a lot of shots, more than half the strikers in Serie A, and scores 5-10 non penalty goals per season with a 7-10% conversion rate. He's not a negative for Sass, he's the best player in their history, but those are not numbers of a deadly shooter.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
We don't do anything to help our players. We have lots of players like Kostic who can't beat their man, fine. Why not have overlappers? No can't be bothered. Just pass to the stationary position and pray.

You can create space for players with tactics easily.

Oh we suck at build up and Loca is not a regista? Well just press higher and do less build up then. Loca can tackle. Let him tackle.

Vlahovic sucks as a target man? Fine then play with wingers and let him finish. Pretty simple thoughts here.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
First and last paragraphs contradict each other.
We were third on the pitch last year, with essentially the same squad and were tied on pts with Inter (and ahead of all the managers you mentioned, other than Spalletti).
There are no contradictions, we didn't win last season and we weren't close to winning. We stumbled out of Europe and secured a top 4 spot on the pitch. That's it, it was enough given the circumstances.

Inzaghi had his team tied with us on points but reached a CL final, it shouldn't be hard to see the difference. Managers like Italiano, Gasperini, Palladino or De Zerbi has weaker squads yet they absolutely get more from their players than we do. Great examples of the added value of their coaching. Our squad is better than Milan's. Yet we don't play better than them, and some times we play worse.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
I’d say it’s somewhere in between what you and @s4tch are saying. I think we have an inferior squad to Inter, but only Inter, and the difference isn’t that big. With good coaching (both motivation and tactics) our two sides should leave the rest of Serie A behind, especially given that we aren’t playing in Europe this year. We should be able to pull off ~85 pts with this squad imo.
i think that both milan and napoli have better starting 11's

and of course we should do better regardless. this team has been underperforming since forever. i'd prefer an overperforming weak team with plenty of grinta to one full of quality that performs below expectations. unfortunately this is neither

Last edited:

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
But Berardi doesnt score shitload of goals, he takes a lot of shots, more than half the strikers in Serie A, and scores 5-10 non penalty goals per season with a 7-10% conversion rate. He's not a negative for Sass, he's the best player in their history, but those are not numbers of a deadly shooter.
Berardi would have been great here, we are starved for a playmaker. He is consistent in his impact on the games. Scoring, assisting, creating chances, he always looks to make things happen without being too irresponsible with the ball.

Di Maria was a mess, but he left and we didn't replace him as our primary creative player.

Mokku

Apr 17, 2019
Putting average players in their preferred position and playing them in a system that gets the best from them is far more effective than playing talented players out of place and in the wrong formation. Allegri does the latter. Whenever our players go on international duty, they play much better in their natural positions.

Last edited:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
i think that both milan and napoli have better starting 11's

and of course we should do better regardless. this team has been underperforming since forever. i'd prefer an overperforming weak team with plenty of grinta to one full of quality that performs below expectations. unfortunately this is neither
Personally, I think our starting XI is better than those two. We just have far too many underperforming players, even based on previous form. It’s close though, so fair enough to think different.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
Berardi would have been great here, we are starved for a playmaker. He is consistent in his impact on the games. Scoring, assisting, creating chances, he always looks to make things happen without being too irresponsible with the ball.

Di Maria was a mess, but he left and we didn't replace him as our primary creative player.
I’d rather build a full machine than add another player and pray for individual brilliance to save Jj each Match

- - - Updated - - -

But it all goes back to the couch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 31)