Serie A 2018/19 (48 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mus™

Mar 16, 2009
Those are hardly sanctions for someone like PSG, neither their players, nor the club are banned from playing in Europe.

Roma sell players every summer to stay in FFP parameters, Inter doesnt register their signings in Europe to tiptoe around them and Milan can get banned from Europe altogether. While I understand the difference between shady owners or poorer clubs and oil billionaires, such use of FFP only widens the gap between elite and the rest, while it was supposed to narrow it down.
FFP was put in place to stop poor clubs from overspending and ending up bankrupt? What PSG and City do isn't what what FFP was brought in to stop, media and fan hysteria aside

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I don’t understand this move from Napoli at all. He’s not a long-term replacement , and I can’t see them providing him with the funds he needs to give him a top quality squad in Europe and Italy. Ancelotti only does well with super-teams, and even recently, he’s lost quite a bit of his shine. His style of play is also completely different from Sarri, who made worse players look better - I don’t think Ancelotti has the ability to do that. I reckon they’ll struggle to make the top 4 next season.

I think they would have been a genuine title contender (again) if they managed to keep their team together and signed Conte instead.
Actually until Napoli he only did financially powerful teams, so we've no idea how good he is with more modest resources, I wouldn't write him off just yet. A lot will depend on transfer market and what ADL puts together for him, I doubt he signed Papa Carlo without promising him a star or two, also I don't think Carlo would've agreed to sign if he didn't intend to polish his reputation a bit after the Bayern fiasco, 6.5m is a great salary, but he could've gotten that elsewhere with much less pressure

He's always been more of a cup coach though, maybe ADL thought what the hell, we can pull a Roma or a Liverpool too and maybe he's right, we'll see.

- - - Updated - - -

Mus™;5747703 said:
FFP was put in place to stop poor clubs from overspending and ending up bankrupt? What PSG and City do isn't what what FFP was brought in to stop, media and fan hysteria aside
FFP was also brought in to stop football market inflation and allow clubs to not overspend beyond their means and still compete. Make no mistake, PSG and City are making a mockery of those regulations and they're raising the transfer and salary market in new heights almost every summer. Milan potentially changing owners isn't the biggest problem, the gap between what a normal football club can spend on salaries and transfer fees and what PSG spends is the biggest problem, it's not even comparable, of course clubs are forced to deepen their debt if they want to stay relevant.

Platini: Fifty per cent of clubs are losing money and this is an increasing trend. We needed to stop this downward spiral. They have spent more than they have earned in the past and haven't paid their debts. We don't want to kill or hurt the clubs; on the contrary, we want to help them in the market. The teams who play in our tournaments have unanimously agreed to our principles…living within your means is the basis of accounting but it hasn't been the basis of football for years now. The owners are asking for rules because they can't implement them themselves - many of them have had it with shovelling money into clubs and the more money you put into clubs, the harder it is to sell at a profit.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
In all seriousness, only an idiot would deny that the league has been improving big-time (on the field) for the past few years now. It’s just the off-field stuff (crazy presidents, poor infrastructure/crowds etc) that are still holding the league back. But it’s IMO equal 2nd best league in Europe

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
In all seriousness, only an idiot would deny that the league has been improving big-time (on the field) for the past few years now. It’s just the off-field stuff (crazy presidents, poor infrastructure/crowds etc) that are still holding the league back. But it’s IMO equal 2nd best league in Europe
Who denied that ? I'm just saying league's in its best shape since say 2007/2008.

You have one top club and two very good teams that have improved massively and can compete in Europe as well. Add one of the Milan teams(or maybe both) to the mix and the league quality improves even further.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
Also , lot of smaller clubs have reinvented themselves, investing in youth and playing a good brand of football. See Atalanta, Samp and even Lazio can be added to the mix something which dint exist 10-12 years ago.

The stadium infrastructure still continue to be THE problem on the other hand. I only see smaller Serie A teams/Serie B teams with legit stadium projects.

I think Atalanta are going to revamp their stadium soon like Udinese.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
I disagree.

From 2012-15 was a very low period for Serie A and weaker than 2011-12 league.

But these last three years have seen gr8 improvement and hopefully that continues!
Add quality of managers too during that period .

Mazzarri, Stramaccioni, Benitez, Mancini, De Boer, Seedorf, Pippo Inzaghi, Rudi Garcia, Montella etc

Next season you could have Allegri, Ancelotti, Spalletti, Di Francesco and potentially one of Sarri/Conte all coaching top Italian teams. Huge improvement in this area too.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
I expect Gattuso to get fired and Milan to appoint either Conte or Sarri depending on who's available if not this coming season, then in 2019 for sure.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Napoli are doing all they can to win that title and Ancelotti is the right man to do it, he has won the league before as he has won other leagues as well.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
He's won one league title with that mighty Milan side though, out of what? six or seven seasons?

I don't see him doing better than Sarri in the Serie A.

ADP1897

Apr 17, 2014
I expect Gattuso to get fired and Milan to appoint either Conte or Sarri depending on who's available if not this coming season, then in 2019 for sure.
Eh? Isn't Gattuso's Milan ranked 3rd when it comes to points at 2nd half of season?

Their defense surprisingly good, but milan problems for these past seasons always their attack.

Regarding Ancelloti, those mighty milan have a mighty competition for Scudetto, so not entirely his fault. PSG was a failure.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
I disagree.

From 2012-15 was a very low period for Serie A and weaker than 2011-12 league.

But these last three years have seen gr8 improvement and hopefully that continues!
That period you quoted (2012-2015) wasn’t a very low period at all. It was in a low period during InterMerda’s manufactured dominance of the league due to Farsopoli (between 2006 - 2010) - that was a period so bad that Italian clubs were struggling in Europe badly and the league ends up losing its 4th spot to the Bundesliga.

The league was also in a terrible shape during those years. A poor mediocre Roma was Inters closest challenger during that run, Milan were inconsistent living off fading stars, we were in the midst of our Cobolli Gigli/Secco years and Napoli were nothing. Don’t let Milan and Inters success in the CL during that time period fool you. Milan shouldn’t have even been allowed to compete in the CL that year anyway.

It’s improved every year since we won our first of 7 league titles in 2012, with teams slowly getting their houses in order on/off the field and improving their performances in the CL and EL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 48)