Serie A 2017/18 (90 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
His anticipation, let alone positioning, looks dubious at times though, to say the least.
Ya sometimes I would agree. But every team thinks they can teach him to be better at that I guess. His height and athleticism is pretty much top of the line though.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
No and no. And definitely not Kahn pffft

Buffon at 36/37/38/39 years old if not the number one best in the world, a very close second. Nobody was able to maintain that level at that age.
All my mentioned names were world class goalkeepers post 35 (Dino Zoff, Peter Shilton, Lev Yashin, Schmeichel, Van Der Sar, Kahn). Granted Buffon is unique; both in drama and quality. But my point: not unusual to see goalkeepers stay at the highest level after 35.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot this was on. How is it so far? Worth watching or not?
Tense but boring.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
The two Rome clubs are fighting for a CL spot and they can't sell out the stadium for a Derby Della Capitale. Absurd.
Cause Olimpico is one shitty-ass stadium.

Gee, I am so glad we got rid of Delle Alpi, it was even worse. Probably the worst top club stadium ever.

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
All my mentioned names were world class goalkeepers post 35 (Dino Zoff, Peter Shilton, Lev Yashin, Schmeichel, Van Der Sar, Kahn). Granted Buffon is unique; both in drama and quality. But my point: not unusual to see goalkeepers stay at the highest level after 35.
I watched half of those and while they remained good at an older age I’d never state they were the number one best in the world around the time they retired. Age is just starting to catch up with Gigi now but last four seasons he still had the reflexes of a 20 some year old.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
Ya'll just biased.
:agree:

Anyways. Yashin won balon dor at age 34. A guy born in the Soviet Union in 1929 and European GK of the year at 37. Again a guy born in 1929 in the Soviet Union.

Dino Zoff won best goalkeeper at the world cup at 41, Van der Sar didn't become world class until he moved to Untied at 35, Schmeichel was great until the age of 40.

- - - Updated - - -

I watched half of those and while they remained good at an older age I’d never state they were the number one best in the world around the time they retired. Age is just starting to catch up with Gigi now but last four seasons he still had the reflexes of a 20 some year old.
And that's why we must not compare between generations. It's simply intellectual dishonesty to compare Yashin with Buffon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 87)