Sebastian Giovinco (6 Viewers)

Would you bring Giovinco back next season?

• Yeah, we could use him

• Nope, get rid of him

Results are only viewable after voting.

HAZEM

L'architetto
Apr 22, 2008
I thought he did well but the way we attack is simply wrong with the players we have.
ture..even till now our attack line changes every game with no main pair like DP and Trez. just too many rotation based on the form condition and not about match approach.. and even the 3-5-2 makes it look even worse. and this midget for the thousand time should play deeper even with 2 other strikers maybe! but we play our midget as no9 which is nonsense to me. yet people complain about being eatin' by big defenders..

Buy on AliExpress.com

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
I was thinking about him (in a totally homosexual way) earlier, and what we could do. I've said it a few times, I don't like how close he's playing to the back line, or the way that he's sometimes having to perform as a centre forward when partnering Vučinić or Quag, because they both drift around a lot as well. The forwards haven't linked up well this season to begin with, so I'd like to see some change.

Ideally he should be able to receive the ball, turn and then look at the defenders in front of him. That's how you're going to get the best out of him. Today we saw him challenging defenders standing at 180cm+ for headers, and I can't get my head around why they don't play to his strengths more often. On the other hand, we saw him pick up possession wide or around the midfield area a couple of times tonight and he was able to play the ball around better, instead of trying to wrestle a defender.

Basically, I don't like how he's being played in a position which requires him to play more physically than he should. I'd be very interested to see him on the left of that three man attack Juve had last season.
Agree with everything in the post. He cut his teeth with the Azzurrini at LWF, for me it's always been his bread and butter position. I'd like to see some of him there as well, or at least in a free role as the SS.

Beyond that, I don't understand why we're not playing ANY 4-3-3 at all. We were undefeated with that formation last year, too, I know they love Bonucci, and we've got these wing backs, but surely having that flexibility can be crucial, especially for in game matchups.

May 22, 2007
Agree with everything in the post. He cut his teeth with the Azzurrini at LWF, for me it's always been his bread and butter position. I'd like to see some of him there as well, or at least in a free role as the SS.

Beyond that, I don't understand why we're not playing ANY 4-3-3 at all. We were undefeated with that formation last year, too, I know they love Bonucci, and we've got these wing backs, but surely having that flexibility can be crucial, especially for in game matchups.
I wasn't expecting to see the 4-3-3 this season, but even if there was a possibility of it, I think Conte would want Pepe back in the squad first.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
I wasn't expecting to see the 4-3-3 this season, but even if there was a possibility of it, I think Conte would want Pepe back in the squad first.
Really? Not at all? I was, obviously the 3-5-2 was the focus given the purchases, but I thought that part of the reason we were so strong last year was because of the flexibility (even if we played 3-5-2 almost exclusively down the stretch).

Maybe he's waiting for Pepe, could be. I'd be tempted to try a couple of our players over there on the right, though.

May 22, 2007
Really? Not at all? I was, obviously the 3-5-2 was the focus given the purchases, but I thought that part of the reason we were so strong last year was because of the flexibility (even if we played 3-5-2 almost exclusively down the stretch).

Maybe he's waiting for Pepe, could be. I'd be tempted to try a couple of our players over there on the right, though.
Nope, they purchased an alternative for Lichtsteiner in a 3-5-2 and no alternative for Pepe in a 4-3-3.

Unless Isla goes there, which I don't think is likely...who were you thinking of playing on the right instead?

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Nope, they purchased an alternative for Lichtsteiner in a 3-5-2 and no alternative for Pepe in a 4-3-3.

Unless Isla goes there, which I don't think is likely...who were you thinking of playing on the right instead?
Try Isla. Damn it, if Asamoah can lock down the LWB, the Isla can do the same in the 433.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008

Well I've seen Isla play on the right there for Chile (admittedly, was meh that match - he's better running into space), but I figured that between Pepe, Giovinco, and Isla we'd still see some of it. I mean, Pepe was pretty solid last year, and where else is he going to play? But especially because we had Licht (And I also still consider Caceres a better RB/RWB than CB)

Giacchi could potentially play there, he played a bit of LWF last year - although admittedly, I tend to prefer when these diminutive guys play on their off-wing, so they can cut in on that comfortable dominant foot, open up their shot... but clearly we still want our best players on the pitch whenever possible (Giacchi's my emergency RWF sub. HA!)

I just want that flexibility, mang :D

Anyway, I gotta run, time for some work. Have a good night, buddy.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
i have never seen isla play as a winger for udinese.

just because you can convert one player to a different position, doens't mean it will work for other players.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
i have never seen isla play as a winger for udinese.

just because you can convert one player to a different position, doens't mean it will work for other players.
Well that's certainly true - although many players, who have both technique, and a solid understanding of the game, are often able to "do a job" at a position, in a stop gap situation.

What's also true, is that *often* you won't truly know whether or not a player can cut it at a certain position, unless you give him a crack.

I always thought that Asa could "do a job" at LWB, although I didn't think he'd be as good as he has been.

Regardless, even if you don't think Isla can be effective at RWF, once Pepe's back we could certainly play 4-3-3 with Vuci/Gio/Giacch on the left, and Pepe/Gio on the right.

I really liked our ability to press our opponents in the 4-3-3, especially on that right side. With Pepe, Vidal, and Licht all operating down the right, you get a situation where it's almost like they compete with each other for who can run the most, who can give the best effort; it's a pretty tough group for opponents to break down (if they can get out of their own half). Definitely good to have options.

Delle Alpi

Chemical Dean
May 26, 2009
So far I'll give Gio a C. He has been average in most games. It's time to invest in a proper real world class talent like Jovetic to take over, because I only see Gio as a sub at Juve. He would more effective when opponents are tired and plenty of space for him to roam around.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
So far I'll give Gio a C. He has been average in most games. It's time to invest in a proper real world class talent like Jovetic to take over
Right now?

Can Juve not keep playing Giovinco for the rest of the season to see how things go instead of making a decision right now?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)