Sebastian Giovinco (43 Viewers)

Would you bring Giovinco back next season?

• Yeah, we could use him

• Nope, get rid of him

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
Good luck to him, I'm not terribly sad to see him go, he was a disappointment considering what could have been.

Anyone know for sure where that leaves us with the UEFA homegrown players rules?
next year we just need to add Audero instead of Rubinho. If Marrone leaves too then replace him with Clemenza or something.

Mar 3, 2014
Our media is going nuts over this. While I hate that he probably is cutting his competitive career short, it'll be great for TFC. They just sold that asshat Defoe back and hopefully Giovinco will show the quality of Calcio. Tfcs fanbase reminds me of United fans and it makes me sick. It'll be nice to see some italian players.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Our media is going nuts over this. While I hate that he probably is cutting his competitive career short, it'll be great for TFC. They just sold that asshat Defoe back and hopefully Giovinco will show the quality of Calcio. Tfcs fanbase reminds me of United fans and it makes me sick. It'll be nice to see some italian players.
Get ready for endless Gee-O-Vinko pronunciations.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
What competitive career?

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
It's pretty funny. If you go on ESPN, or other North American sports news sites that are reporting this, the comment sections are flooded with people saying how awesome this signing is, and how it's crazy that "a player of his calibre" from a top European team would come to the MLS in his prime, and "this move will be a game changer" and "the floodgates are opening" for top European players to start playing in the MLS.

Little do they know... just how talented la formica atomica really is.

:rofl:

Mar 3, 2014
It's pretty funny. If you go on ESPN, or other North American sports news sites that are reporting this, the comment sections are flooded with people saying how awesome this signing is, and how it's crazy that "a player of his calibre" from a top European team would come to the MLS in his prime, and "this move will be a game changer" and "the floodgates are opening" for top European players to start playing in the MLS.

Little do they know... just how talented la formica atomica really is.

:rofl:
MLS is pretty bad. He's probably going to look like Francesco Totti out there.

I've seen the games live including TFC play Roma. Roma played its 'B' team and it looked like they were playing games with TFC. Pjanic even scored on a trick shot. Also, there were more Totti jerseys than TFC jerseys.

Joe

Dec 20, 2009
Why is everyone shitting on his decision? If I was him I'd do the same thing...

Why would I want to go play for a Fiorentina type team, and earn less than 2M a season, not play in the CL, probably wouldn't be a star.

When I can go to TFC, probably crush the league, earn 7M (More than triple of what he'll earn in Italy, and more than anyone is making in Serie A currently I believe - I don't think some people understand how much money that actually is...), and be the star of the team.

Giovinco isn't a world beater, there's no real benefit of staying in Europe. Why? So he could make the 5th striker spot for the Azzurri and sit on the bench...which isn't even a guarantee with the young kids coming up.

I don't know..I just think he made the right choice career wise.

Pirlo's Beard

Junkie Joe Joyce
Oct 2, 2013
He made a great choice, absolutely fantastic.

People seem to forget that not every player in your club is a die hard fan willing to do hard time on the bench in their primes when they could go elsewhere, make ridiculous bank and probably be THE man.

He flopped at Juve compared to what people expected of him, but I will always say that half of that was down to us especially after we got him back from Parma only to play the Worlds tallest midget in a 3-5-2 predominantly with his back to goal doing ridiculous hold up play, when he needs space to operate and doesn't need to be dueling with CBs twice his size.

He's not starter material, really. But we made him look 3x worse than he really is.

Mar 3, 2014
He made a great choice, absolutely fantastic.

People seem to forget that not every player in your club is a die hard fan willing to do hard time on the bench in their primes when they could go elsewhere, make ridiculous bank and probably be THE man.

He flopped at Juve compared to what people expected of him, but I will always say that half of that was down to us especially after we got him back from Parma only to play the Worlds tallest midget in a 3-5-2 predominantly with his back to goal doing ridiculous hold up play, when he needs space to operate and doesn't need to be dueling with CBs twice his size.

He's not starter material, really. But we made him look 3x worse than he really is.
I tend to agree with that. I know Parma is a "provincial side" but you don't play that well if you're terrible. His 2011/2012 year was flat out dominant.
I think it was a combination of Conte's system, the lack of game time, and the shot to his confidence that really hurt him. He wasn't Juve material but he'd start on most other Serie A sides, and he'd probably fair pretty well in a 4-3-3.

I totally agree with the notion that forcing a 5 foot 5 weakling to hold up play, dual with center backs, and act as a decoy for Vidal makes very little sense. While Conte's system was great for us, it certainly wasn't great for Giovinco.

The funny thing is the lack of understanding of where players play in tactical formations in Toronto. Toronto media has been suggesting he'll play in a formation like this, which is clearly out to lunch:
------Altidore--------Gilberto--------
--------------Giovinco----------------

Both of those forwards are prima puntas who can't pass. Gilberto will hold up play well, while Altidore can't because his first touch is terrible. Then they have Giovinco playing behind the as a trequartista, which Allegri literally just commented on...

Also the first article "TFC signs Midfielder Giovinco"...Midfielder? Really?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 42)