Russian Thread (4 Viewers)

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Dissapointed with the results of the russian competitors in the GPA world championship this weekend

Only Konstantinovs delivered from all them big names. But he's technically lavtian.
Zahir Khudayarov performed aswel, but is technically azerbeijan and was representing finland

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Good, we need more lawyers here. I would like to file a claim about bad advertisement of diet cola and how consuming 92929298 gallons of it a day is good for ya!

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
It's no secret I'm a huge fan of documentaries and I do love watching frontline documentaries and so it was natural that I watch their latest episode aired on the 13th of January 2015 called Putin's way. I'll add a link to where anyone interested can watch this episode and under spoilers I will add my own personal opinion as unfortunately this episode in particular left the viewer with a few points to be taken as FACT without coming up with proof to such claims. I won't call them propaganda points as I am fed up with the propaganda war taking place over the past year between both camps.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/putins-way/

All the points the documentary brings up with regards to Putin's early days specially his shady days as deputy mayor in saint peters-burg are to the point, and there are many books written by both Russian intellectuals and foreigner intellectuals that detail his rise to power.
Having lived here for nearly two years now, it is clear to any one once they get here that there is corruption, and its corruption that starts from the very top! the level of corruption witnessed in the Sochi winter Olympics infrastructure projects is on a whole new level unprecedented and this is coming from someone who is a citizen of an Arab country notorious for its level of governmental corruption, let's just say the Mubarak regime would be in awe of the level of sophistication and detail that goes into this level of corruption.
what never fails to amaze me, and I actually find it horrific on a moral level, is how people specially so called businessmen who in reality are nothing more than mafia head's all of a sudden take a page out of the moral's text book once they are removed from Putin's inner circle and sent to exile to hit back on his regime using the same points they themselves abused when they were in the inner circle of Yeltsin in the early 90's amidst the chaos that accompanied the collapse of the soviet union. it's no secret during the soviet union all the industries, whether metal, mineral, and energy sources where under the tight control of the government, so before the imminent collapse and specially during Yeltsin's early days the ownership of these businesses where handed over to business men, the likes of those interviewed whilst living with their billions ( money they don't actually have right too, considering the population was let's say ripped off during the privatization of these state owned assets) in exile, whether in London, Switzerland, Estonia and Israel to name a few of these hot spots where super rich Russians tend to go to in there exile. so you have tycoons now giving Putin's regime a corrupt label when they in fact made their riches the same way, the only difference is these people where once the friends of Yeltsin and now it's the turn of Putin's friends to take a piece of the cake, so in other words its out with the old in with the new. one of those who really stands out from the rest is Mikhail Khodorkovsky, and yes I was made fully aware that our resident juve rus likes and admires him, and I do understand why, after all Mikhail Khodorkovsky is known to promote for democracy specially from his exile in an attempt to get back at Putin ( I firmly believe he is no different that Putin himself it's just his way of getting back and leveling the score after all the guy was jailed for ten years) for me Mikhail Khodorkovsky is a bigot specially after reading his tweets during the catastrophe that occurred in Paris.

and finally a point that really stood out and I think it was rushed on purpose was the ending and the ongoing issue with Ukraine, which Russia plays a shady role in, no different from the west, however the fact the producers did not provide a single thread of proof with regards to the downing of the mh flight is a cheap stunt of propaganda add to that the closing line of the documentary portraying Putin and actually using a story Putin retells from his childhood about a rat being cornered tending to be much dangerous when he gets cornered is a lame attempt at portraying Russia as a threat to Europe when in reality there is no clear cut proof of such aggression, after all its a known fact that during the collapse of the soviet union the United states made promises to Gorbachev with regards to not pushing NATO membership too close to the Russian borders, a promise that was broken on numerous occasions ( as stated by the documentary produced by Oliver stone ( the untold history of the united states)

I firmly believe that Putin is using the Ukrainian drama to mask internal failure in domestic politics. The pressure is actually increasing on his regime especially with the weakened economy that got hit hard by the drop in oil prices, and the imposed sanctions. Mind you the average Russian is the one who feels the heat from those sanctions, the inner circle of the regime are not feeling its effects. I personally think Russia had a once in a life time opportunity to strengthen its economy due to the sanctions imposed but sadly there seems to be no interest, on the contrary the Russian products specially when it comes to foods products are of lesser quality and a higher price as opposed to the same food products but of western origins.

Putin's regime has placed all its bets on the Russian people being used to the hard life, after all the Russians have grown accustomed to economical collapses since the 90's. The truth is they are unaware that things have changed, and that people who once went through the wails of losing everything will not go down that road again no matter how much propaganda they are fed via state owned TV. also I feel the Putin's regime has not really learned the lessons that where out for everyone to learn in the Arab spring, whilst Putin is a popular figure amongst the senior citizens who buy into the propaganda stunts on TV, the youth are pretty much very different. considering I am currently studying political science in uni, I am exposed to a wide variety of political opinions, opinions with regards to the direction Russia is taking and the direction it owe to take, however it's very rare to find someone who fully supports this current regime. Their opinions are not with regards to Ukraine, as much as they are with regards to the internal politics of Russia, and the very clear rise in corruption especially governmental backed corruption. whereas the state run media is indirectly pointing the blame on western backed Saudi Arabia for the drop in oil prices being one of the factors to the current state economically, people (however little a percentage it may be) firmly believe that the blame should be placed on the Russian government for wasting the millions in revenues gained from oil, instead of pumping this money into Russia's industrial infra structure, the money was wasted on many corrupt purposes starting from Sochi but not limited to it.

note: with regards to Ukraine, i think its a geopolitical war that was predicted by Zbigniew Brzezinski in his book the grand chessboard. a book i highly recommend to any one trying to understand what's going on in this part of the world. Brzezinski actually states that the attention of the world and the united states in particular is moving from the middle east and towards Eurasia that borders russia and china.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)