Russian Thread (7 Viewers)

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
from the private collection of prince Albert of Monaco. these are the olympic torches for the winter olympics which were on display at the historic GUM shopping complex on red square :)

- - - Updated - - -

Russia :disagree:

So people are allowed to smoke inside a restaurant, but not outside if they are 14 meters from a bus stop? My goodness, that sounds retarded. This anti smoking policy (not just in Russia, but in general) is just getting way too much, and I don't even smoke.
the law prohibiting smoking in cafes/restaurants wont go into effect until june 14. however the 15 m from bus stops and or metro entrances is pretty much in effect now ( its day 3 since it got imposed. i have no problems with smoke bans but i think they should also consider making it crystal clear by posting signs as to where people who CHOOSE to smoke can actually do that. i read a while back that they closed the smoking room in domodedovo international airport and turned it into a kids playing area of sorts with no reasonable option for smokers. i def support banning tobacco for minors 100% but to go on and create a smoke ban in the streets with no clear marks really leaves things up for bribes, and you know what happens next...

Attachments

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
so the last two days have witnessed snowing falling and covering moscow in white :D its my first time ever to see snow so off course i was excited like a little kid :) its not super cold yet, its -6 and i am handing it pretty well. snow is really cool and i prefer it to rain for sure. the problem with snow is the fact it gets pretty slippery specially early in the morning if you r not careful but (SLAVOOO BOG :D ) i did not fall on my ass just yet. the main problem is how muddy the road gets due to the chemical substance they spray to prevent icing but sadly it makes streets extremely muddy making it hard to clean your boots and increases the chances of slipping :D where ever i go and they find out my nationality they laugh and give me looks of sympathy specially when they ask me if i think its cold now :D because the simple fact of the matter is, now its warm ( -6 is warm) come jan i will understand what cold means. or as my russian language prof says, come january the freezer will be warmer than the street!! :D

- - - Updated - - -

i need to get my ass off the forums and sit and read my text so i can re tell the story of Yuri Gagarin tomorrow in class :( its a long text with many new russian words that need to be learned :D

Attachments

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Hahaha! :lol: It's epic for a Dane like me to hear you talk about your first experience with snow. :D Almost as funny as when the Balkans talked about bowling. Nice to see you enjoy it though! :tup: Keep us updated.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Bisco, can't wait for your impressions when the real winter hits, the first time you will hear your footprints on snow and the howling winds of -20 and bellow :D

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
Bisco, can't wait for your impressions when the real winter hits, the first time you will hear your footprints on snow and the howling winds of -20 and bellow :D
That's what everyone is trying to prepare me for... I was told by my Arab friends in Uni, who have experienced this weather before, that once it gets past negative ten just standing at the bus stop or outside to have a CIG will be torture :D it will be an experience I never witnessed before considering the lowest I ever witnessed was 0 degrees for a day or two every winter so 20 degrees below zero is untouched territory for me. I have my gear prepared so here is hoping it goes smoothly lol will def keep you guys updated about this.. Just not from my phone because frost bites is serious :D

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006
You guys don't know true cold till you feel the freezing temperatures of +7 which come about in the Maltese winter for like 4 days @Klin

- - - Updated - - -

You guys don't know true cold till you feel the freezing temperatures of +7 which come about in the Maltese winter for like 4 days @Klin

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
That's what everyone is trying to prepare me for... I was told by my Arab friends in Uni, who have experienced this weather before, that once it gets past negative ten just standing at the bus stop or outside to have a CIG will be torture :D it will be an experience I never witnessed before considering the lowest I ever witnessed was 0 degrees for a day or two every winter so 20 degrees below zero is untouched territory for me. I have my gear prepared so here is hoping it goes smoothly lol will def keep you guys updated about this.. Just not from my phone because frost bites is serious :D
And you will still smoke, cos just standing and freezing doing nothing is just too much, you need to be ocupied with something :D One good thing, once it gets bellow -20 it won't metter anymore. At that those temps your worst enemy will become the wind :D

Yeah, and keep us updated, nice reads! :tup:

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
OK guys I decided to start a blog that discusses life in Russia and Moscow in particular from my point of view as an expat. Also to tackle the usual stereotypes. I came up with a name for the blog but I'd like to hear your opinions about the name or if you have better names. The name I thought of is "no bears to be found" :D

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
OK guys I decided to start a blog that discusses life in Russia and Moscow in particular from my point of view as an expat. Also to tackle the usual stereotypes. I came up with a name for the blog but I'd like to hear your opinions about the name or if you have better names. The name I thought of is "no bears to be found" :D
Don't rush with this name, you are still not long there. you never know what you still might find there :D

Jokes aside, it's a cool name.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
Don't rush with this name, you are still not long there. you never know what you still might find there :D

Jokes aside, it's a cool name.
:D yeah with mother russia you can never be sure. i think i will go with this name though and soon enough i will start blogging about my stay here.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
Love your stories, Bisco :D I absolutely can't believe how well you're adapting :D
Thank you Martin it means a lot to me coming from you bro!:))) hope life has been treating you well. Adapting has/is challenging :D I've gotten over the fact Russia and Russians have there own way of doing things, however winter is still a challenge as you would imagine. Its -12 this morning and walking to the metro station which is a15 min walk seems to be getting further and further with every buff of wind that hits my face. I'll get there some how though simply because as a human you are prepared to adapt however I completely understand why many Europeans and Russians in particular envy us in the middle East for the amounts of sun we get through out the year. Needless to say the last time I saw the sun was two weeks ago!: D but it could be worse, just ask the people living in Siberia what winter is for therm :)))) any way I'll keep you guys update because contrary to what I thought before coming here Russia is a very unique and interesting place to be, despite the cold, roughness of some Russians, and the language barrier. Speaking of the language barrier im glad to report that I'm doing well in my preparatory course and I can go as far as saying that after 3 month of studying in this department i'm able to read and carry my self in the streets of Moscow should the need to communicate arise. This has been a much needed boost for me because the language barrier here is abundant and at times it drove me to depression!!!

This might sound cheesy but it's nice knowing I'm not the only one dealing with being away from home and I'll be extra honest I'm pushed to the limit of my comfort zone. I know Hoori is also pulling such a feat and experiencing a cold winter like my self. It was encouraging hearing how she handles winter just like me and for that I'm grateful. It proves this forum is not just were we butcher each other in football knowledge but it's one big family and I'm glad to belong to it.

Hope you have an awesome day and stay tuned for my work in progress blog :D

Have a great day Tuz!! I have to get off the metro now, with the rest of the zombies because it's 8 and we are all still asleep.

http://nobearsfound.blogspot.ru/2013/12/no-longer-stranger-in-moscow.html

My first blog entry!:)))) your feedback is much needed. Any suggestions and criticism is welcomed. Hope you guys enjoy this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)