Russia - Ukraine Conflict 2022 (29 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Isn't that what the US does after every war?

Bill other countries?
From what I've heard they are borrowing weapons and each thing it gets destroyed they (Ukraine) will have to pay for. Apparently the US had the same deal woth England during the WWII and they were paying decades for that, they paid it off last year iirc

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
From what I've heard they are borrowing weapons and each thing it gets destroyed they (Ukraine) will have to pay for. Apparently the US had the same deal woth England during the WWII and they were paying decades for that, they paid it off last year iirc
Lend-lease program, as it was called back then, was generally free. US sold some of the still usable equipment to UK with a huge discount paid from long term loans also provided by IS.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lend-Lease?wprov=sfti1

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
The point was that the US loans while heavily discounted were not “free” or pure gestures of good will. The US had specific terms included for it’s own self-interest (as any nation, especially Britain, likely would have done) and to position itself as the world’s dominant economy after the war.

You can choose to view that as good or bad or fair or unfair. Many in the British government including Churchill and Keynes certainly were not happy about what they saw as the US taking advantage with the terms of the loans, but again they did not have much choice.

Subjectively speaking helping to defeat Nazi Germany and collapse the British empire was incredibly based. The rise of the US empire from that, not so much (imo).
People hate when I say this but the US is the first ever benevolent superpower. I dont care what anyone says, I'm grateful to them.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
It's better the devil you know and who shares more common interests. There isn't really any way to be a global superpower without getting your hands dirty and upsetting a lot of people. China try to do it through their approach but it isn't hard for anyone in the West to see what they really are.

Apr 12, 2004
If being founded on expansionist genocide and slavery (to the extent that you inspire Nazi Germany), having the blood of millions on your hands from waging multiple wars and supporting right-wing dictators and terrorists/death squads across the globe, and using your dominant financial and military position as a bludgeon to force your own economic model onto the world is now considered benevolent, then the meaning must have changed. But to each their own.
As an American, this is probably more accurate than anything else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)