Rock, in all shapes and sizes (2 Viewers)

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
Ever see the doc "Our Band Could Be Your Life", and in particular "We Jam Econo"?
I saw We Jam Econo :tup: but I haven't seen the other one.

On wikipedia say it focuses on these bands:

Black Flag (from Hermosa Beach/Los Angeles, California)
Minutemen (from San Pedro/Los Angeles, California)
Mission of Burma (from Boston, Massachusetts)
Minor Threat (from Washington, D.C.)
Hüsker Dü (from Minneapolis - Saint Paul, Minnesota)
The Replacements (from Minneapolis - Saint Paul, Minnesota)
Sonic Youth (from New York City, New York)
Butthole Surfers (from San Antonio, Texas)
Big Black (from Evanston/Chicago, Illinois)
Dinosaur Jr. (from Amherst, Massachusetts)
Fugazi (from Washington, D.C.)
Mudhoney (from Seattle, Washington)
Beat Happening (from Olympia, Washington)

:tuttosport: I love most of those. I'll check it out, Greggo.

OP
CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #126
    #1) With all due respect, but no. Not quite. That is a great King Crimson album, but you can't compare that to Sgt. Pepper. Come on man. Don't make me go all Cris Carter on you now.

#2) Brian Wilson says Hello

Edit- and so does Paul McCartney. It was used in Strawberry Fields Forever :D

Yes, 10 times yes. We're not comparing popularity but the importance and influence of what was to be of Rock in the future. In that aspect it's as important as Sgt Pepper without a doubt. Sgt Pepper might have opened the door to experimental classical-oriented music but ITCOTKC opened the door for more, including what was to be of Metal, and most importantly the fusion of Jazz and Rock.

Brian Wilson never used a Mellotron, not even in the Beach Boys. They used and i say very very ocasionally, so ocasionally that me a 60's/70's record collector can't remember which songs, a Chamberlin. Same concept, a tape machine yet a completely different beast. And two, it was only used in the Studio. Trust me, the Mellotron is one of my favorite instruments ever made and around that time in America almost no one, and i'm gonna say that actually no one had one. No one famous anyway.

In Britain, sure. The Beatles used it, as obviously i'd know it's in Strawberry Fields :D Come on. So did The Moody Blues, The Zombies and etc... But on a live stage it was a complete unknown instrument to Americans and when King Crimson toured in 69' it mindfucked everybody as they kept looking around to find where the "orquestral" sound was coming from.

I've not only read several stories about that tour, i have a personal keyboardist friend who was part of the crowd at Fillmore in 69' and said it in details how mind blowing and jaw dropping the experience of seeing them live was. Nobody expected such a powerful and well rehearsed sound. Bill Bruford said it well, nobody knew a Rock band could be as technical and as good as Jazz musicians.

- - - Updated - - -
    @King of Kings Actually looking into my old emails i found him sharing his experience with me. It's a good read, trust me. I got it mixed up though he wasn't in Cali, he was in Florida. @PostIronic check this out.

Did I ever tell you about my King Crimson experience? I was 13 years old and going to my first rock festival in West Palm Beach... Sitting in the mud and rain on Friday night, after watching blistering sets by Janis Joplin, Johnny Winter, and Vanilla Fudge, this new band from England takes the stage. Strange name, King Crimson... Oh well...

I don't know if it was the drugs, the euphoria of great music, or what... But I started to hear this amazing sound.... They opened with Pictures of a City... And this sound... So full for a quartet ... The powerful brass sound. Lake's voice ... And Fripps guitar. Completely blew me away. Then Epitaph... Where is the orchestral? I see this large organ on stage, but how we're they getting that sound? Four or five more songs and the set was over. The audience stood and cheered... Demanding an encore. All of them transfixed by this super group that hit the shores of America. They cam back for Mars... Ian smashing the reverb unit on top of the Mellotron.... Blasts of sound through the speakers. Then it was over...

Everyone went back to their tents talking about what they just experienced.

On Saturday, they did it again..... The crowd was even more intense...

They were scheduled to pay Sunday as well, but their set was cancelled due to time limitations. So instead we waited two hours for the Stones to arrive. Now That pissed me off.

But that was some amazing festival of artists... With all the superstars at that festival, two new bands were the surprise hit... King Crimson and Grand Funk...

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    A little D Boon from the now-defunct Stone in SF (which I miss)... just 9 months before his death.

[video=vimeo;5050904]https://vimeo.com/5050904[/video]

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    Yes, 10 times yes. We're not comparing popularity but the importance and influence of what was to be of Rock in the future. In that aspect it's as important as Sgt Pepper without a doubt. Sgt Pepper might have opened the door to experimental classical-oriented music but ITCOTKC opened the door for more, including what was to be of Metal, and most importantly the fusion of Jazz and Rock.

Brian Wilson never used a Mellotron, not even in the Beach Boys. They used and i say very very ocasionally, so ocasionally that me a 60's/70's record collector can't remember which songs, a Chamberlin. Same concept, a tape machine yet a completely different beast. And two, it was only used in the Studio. Trust me, the Mellotron is one of my favorite instruments ever made and around that time in America almost no one, and i'm gonna say that actually no one had one. No one famous anyway.

In Britain, sure. The Beatles used it, as obviously i'd know it's in Strawberry Fields :D Come on. So did The Moody Blues, The Zombies and etc... But on a live stage it was a complete unknown instrument to Americans and when King Crimson toured in 69' it mindfucked everybody as they kept looking around to find where the "orquestral" sound was coming from.

I've not only read several stories about that tour, i have a personal keyboardist friend who was part of the crowd at Fillmore in 69' and said it in details how mind blowing and jaw dropping the experience of seeing them live was. Nobody expected such a powerful and well rehearsed sound. Bill Bruford said it well, nobody knew a Rock band could be as technical and as good as Jazz musicians.

- - - Updated - - -
    @King of Kings Actually looking into my old emails i found him sharing his experience with me. It's a good read, trust me. I got it mixed up though he wasn't in Cali, he was in Florida. @PostIronic check this out.

Did I ever tell you about my King Crimson experience? I was 13 years old and going to my first rock festival in West Palm Beach... Sitting in the mud and rain on Friday night, after watching blistering sets by Janis Joplin, Johnny Winter, and Vanilla Fudge, this new band from England takes the stage. Strange name, King Crimson... Oh well...

I don't know if it was the drugs, the euphoria of great music, or what... But I started to hear this amazing sound.... They opened with Pictures of a City... And this sound... So full for a quartet ... The powerful brass sound. Lake's voice ... And Fripps guitar. Completely blew me away. Then Epitaph... Where is the orchestral? I see this large organ on stage, but how we're they getting that sound? Four or five more songs and the set was over. The audience stood and cheered... Demanding an encore. All of them transfixed by this super group that hit the shores of America. They cam back for Mars... Ian smashing the reverb unit on top of the Mellotron.... Blasts of sound through the speakers. Then it was over...

Everyone went back to their tents talking about what they just experienced.

On Saturday, they did it again..... The crowd was even more intense...

They were scheduled to pay Sunday as well, but their set was cancelled due to time limitations. So instead we waited two hours for the Stones to arrive. Now That pissed me off.

But that was some amazing festival of artists... With all the superstars at that festival, two new bands were the surprise hit... King Crimson and Grand Funk...
    That's pretty damn cool. What a show that would have been. Grand Funk and King Crimson stealing it all. Awesome.

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
    Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #130
    That's pretty damn cool. What a show that would have been. Grand Funk and King Crimson stealing it all. Awesome.
    ...And Janis Joplin, Vanilla Fudge and Johnny Winter :D Those were the days.

Oh btw, this same fellow musician owns a Mellotron and sampled it. Actually that's how i met him, he ended up sending it to me and with it i recorded this in my old studio. I'm sure you and @King of Kings know it:

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
    Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #139
    Tame Impala's new song. What i can say is that they finally seem to be moving away to the whole 60's revival sound and calling it quits with the Beatles comparisons.

Actually it's pretty fantastic how his writing progressed through the years... From their first record which was so 60's oriented to a more modernized electronic sound in Lonerism to what now seems to be a new found identity. Something that IMO they lacked.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    I saw We Jam Econo :tup: but I haven't seen the other one.

On wikipedia say it focuses on these bands:

Black Flag (from Hermosa Beach/Los Angeles, California)
    Minutemen (from San Pedro/Los Angeles, California)
    Mission of Burma (from Boston, Massachusetts)
    Minor Threat (from Washington, D.C.)
    Hüsker Dü (from Minneapolis - Saint Paul, Minnesota)
    The Replacements (from Minneapolis - Saint Paul, Minnesota)
    Sonic Youth (from New York City, New York)
    Butthole Surfers (from San Antonio, Texas)
    Big Black (from Evanston/Chicago, Illinois)
    Dinosaur Jr. (from Amherst, Massachusetts)
    Fugazi (from Washington, D.C.)
    Mudhoney (from Seattle, Washington)
    Beat Happening (from Olympia, Washington)

:tuttosport: I love most of those. I'll check it out, Greggo.
    Great list :tup:

- - - Updated - - -

Getting a lot of play with the hip teens around here, my niece is well into these. Listened to a bit last night. Sounds like we have a neo-neo-psychedelic era approaching.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)