Rock, in all shapes and sizes (30 Viewers)

OP
CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #161
    There's a reason it says All shapes and sizes, Rock isn't your AC/DC and that's it, @ZoSo. Hell, There are Progressive Rock bands/songs that sound anything but "Rock". They embraced Classical Music and Jazz in such a way it wasn't even rock but guess who were the people buying tickets to their shows? The same crowd that went to Zeppelin concerts.

And being a Zeppelin fan which was a band that relied on diversity, from yes FOLK, to Reggae, Funk and so on - especially on the latter albums - i expected you to be less narrow minded.

In fact, after "Rock" discovered there was so much more than the basic blues standards, thanks to the Psychedelic scene, it's obvious genres were meant to be mixed, and that's when it went from childish catchy mindless songs to real artistry. So a little respect is welcome.

Buy on AliExpress.com

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
    Jul 11, 2011
    There's a reason it says All shapes and sizes, Rock isn't your AC/DC and that's it, @ZoSo. Hell, There are Progressive Rock bands/songs that sound anything but "Rock". They embraced Classical Music and Jazz in such a way it wasn't even rock but guess who were the people buying tickets to their shows? The same crowd that went to Zeppelin concerts.

And being a Zeppelin fan which was a band that relied on diversity, from yes FOLK, to Reggae, Funk and so on - especially on the latter albums - i expected you to be less narrow minded.

In fact, after "Rock" discovered there was so much more than the basic blues standards, thanks to the Psychedelic scene, it's obvious genres were meant to be mixed, and that's when it went from childish catchy mindless songs to real artistry. So a little respect is welcome.
    I wouldn't call Battle of Evermore etc rock either

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #165
    I wouldn't call Battle of Evermore etc rock either
    Exactly, so there you go. Rock has had so many faces that it's impossible to tell what it really is.

You have someone like Neil Young who was mostly a Folk/Country artist but could rock like few could. Southern Rock, is it rock or country? Fusion, Jazz with rock elements, can it be considered rock? See where i'm going? Just enjoy the music, labels mean shit.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
    Jul 11, 2011
    Exactly, so there you go. Rock has had so many faces that it's impossible to tell what it really is.

You have someone like Neil Young who was mostly a Folk/Country artist but could rock like few could. Southern Rock, is it rock or country? Fusion, Jazz with rock elements, can it be considered rock? See where i'm going? Just enjoy the music, labels mean shit.
    rock songs, not a bunch of hipsters singing in a folky bluesy style with no percussion

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    rock songs, not a bunch of hipsters singing in a folky bluesy style with no percussion
    Yes, because a Psychedelic rock band from Seattle means they have to be hipsters. Try to be a little less biased. The rest of the album screams Psyche-folk-blues rock.

It's obviously within the rock umbrella. Everyone but you considers it thus. You are welcome to have your own little definition of what rock is, but don't expect every single person to agree with you. And don't tell me what I can or can't post here...

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the greatest rock bands of all time were anything but rock.

in fact, you could say they were arguably the greatest jazz-fusion band of all time.

The Doors

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #171
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the greatest rock bands of all time were anything but rock.

in fact, you could say they were arguably the greatest jazz-fusion band of all time.

The Doors
    I wouldn't really call The Doors Jazz Fusion :shifty: Return To Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Herbie Hancock, etc those were Fusion artists. Whatever came post-Bitches Brew.

And i think The Doors had some blues-based main guitar riff tunes like Love Me Two Times that are surely rock but yes, they flirted with all kinds of music.

Spanish Caravan (Flamenco), Alabama Song (Cabaret) and Break on Through (Bossa Nova) just to name a few, shows how rich their variety was.

They can't be labelled, to be honest. They were too weird and unique for that. They don't fit in any genre so it's bettter to just say they're one of the great bands that came out of the psychedelic era.

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011

Hey, Mister Music, sure sounds good to me!
    I can't refuse it: what to be got to be.
    Feel like dancing, dance 'cause we are free
    Feel like dancing, come dance with me!

Roots, rock, reggae: dis a reggae music!
    Roots, rock, reggae, yeah! Dis a reggae music!
    Play I some music: dis a reggae music!

Play I on the R&B - wo-oh! Want all my people to see:
    We're bubblin' on the Top 100, just like a mighty dread!
    Play I on the R&B; want all my people to see:
    We bubblin' on the Top 100, just like a mighty dread!

Roots, rock, reggae: dis a reggae music! Uh-uh!
    Roots, rock, reggae, ee-mi duba! Dis a reggae music!
    Play I some music: (dis a reggae music!)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007

Hey, Mister Music, sure sounds good to me!
    I can't refuse it: what to be got to be.
    Feel like dancing, dance 'cause we are free
    Feel like dancing, come dance with me!

Roots, rock, reggae: dis a reggae music!
    Roots, rock, reggae, yeah! Dis a reggae music!

Play I on the R&B - wo-oh! Want all my people to see:
    We're bubblin' on the Top 100, just like a mighty dread!
    Play I on the R&B; want all my people to see:
    We bubblin' on the Top 100, just like a mighty dread!

Roots, rock, reggae: dis a reggae music! Uh-uh!
    Roots, rock, reggae, ee-mi duba! Dis a reggae music!
    Dis a reggae music...

http://forum.juventuz.org/threads/26268-The-Official-Reggae-Thread @Fr3sh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 30)