Rock, in all shapes and sizes (19 Viewers)

OP
CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #101
    PJ is excellent. I haven't listened to this one before. I'm learning bro!

- - - Updated - - -

I found the Jasper Wrath album yesterday, in a local record shop. Had never heard of the band before but love these two songs in particular.

I have that record :D You bought it? Good stuff. Check out the last song, it's epic. They were one of the few bands using the Mellotron then, which brings to question, have you heard King Crimson? If not, buy this shit now.

http://www.amazon.com/King-Crimson-...ll&keywords=in+the+colurt+of+the+crimson+king

The most underrated album in rock history. A watershed. It was as important as Sgt. Pepper as it was the first band to ever implement Jazz to Rock and be the origins of Heavy Metal. It came before Jazz Fusion, Black Sabbath, Zeppelin and managed to influence everything that came after what then was known was Progressive Rock.

Now imagine you're back in 69', the summer of love. There are psychedelic, bluesy bands everywhere. And out of nowhere comes this band with an orquestra for a box (Nobody in America knew what a Mellotron was then) opening with this mindfucking song.

Bil Bruford's words were "We didn't know a rock band could play like this" :D even Hendrix became a fan.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    I'm a big fan of that King Crimson album. I have the 200gr version. Ordered it off amazon a couple years ago. I've been looking for a first UK pressing for years, at a reasonable price. There was one in this local record shop run by some pretentious wanker, he was selling it for $275. Yikes. Definitely not in a place where I want to make that kind of investment in a record.

However, embarrassingly, that's all I know of King Crimson. Have never looked into the band further. Any other albums you'd recommend?

I love Jasper Wrath now. That last song is so epic. That's awesome that you have the record too! It's pretty hard to find now. Pretty obscure band.

Are you a Frank Zappa fan? I have a few MOI albums.

Last record store visit was for the Jasper Wrath album, Savoy Brown's Raw Sienna, Woody Guthrie's Sacco and Vanizetti, Sun Ra and his Intergalactic Research Arkestra ~ It's After the End of the World Live (Berlin Festival), and Fuzzy Duck's self-titled (sadly not the first pressing, that shit costs $500+ now, I bought the '12 re with 7" extra). Fun visit, if a little pricey.

- - - Updated - - -

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
    Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #104
    I'm a big fan of that King Crimson album. I have the 200gr version. Ordered it off amazon a couple years ago. I've been looking for a first UK pressing for years, at a reasonable price. There was one in this local record shop run by some pretentious wanker, he was selling it for $275. Yikes. Definitely not in a place where I want to make that kind of investment in a record.

However, embarrassingly, that's all I know of King Crimson. Have never looked into the band further. Any other albums you'd recommend?

I love Jasper Wrath now. That last song is so epic. That's awesome that you have the record too! It's pretty hard to find now. Pretty obscure band.

Are you a Frank Zappa fan? I have a few MOI albums.

Last record store visit was for the Jasper Wrath album, Savoy Brown's Raw Sienna, Woody Guthrie's Sacco and Vanizetti, Sun Ra and his Intergalactic Research Arkestra ~ It's After the End of the World Live (Berlin Festival), and Fuzzy Duck's self-titled (sadly not the first pressing, that shit costs $500+ now, I bought the '12 re with 7" extra). Fun visit, if a little pricey.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, King Crimson innovated themselves so many times that it's hard to recommend something cause it always sounds like a new band. But from that time period, try the second album In The Wake of Poseidon which sound a lot like the first. Islands is the most jazzist they made, you once meantioned you like Jazz, so. And last but not least, Red was their most rock approaching record to date.

Well, it was harder to find back in the day, nowadays you can find anything if you know where to look. :D

Of course I am, i fucking love Zappa. I happen to have all (well, can one really say he has ALL when it comes to Zappa? IMPOSSIBRU!) his studio records. Well, at least from Freak Out to Baby Snakes.

Sun Ra, I don't have that one. I one have one that i can't remember what it's called :tuttosport: I have Fuzzy Duck as well :D

- - - Updated - - -

Here you go

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
    Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #110
    I love bands like Fuzzy Duck (and I guess Jasper Wrath too) that only put out one studio album! But that's probably the hipster in me talking. :lol:
    Well, that's understandable. You're hipster as fuck :D

But here you go. Only one album and an amazing one at that. Well with Clapton, Winwood and Baker what would you expect?! :D

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    I have that record :D You bought it? Good stuff. Check out the last song, it's epic. They were one of the few bands using the Mellotron then, which brings to question, have you heard King Crimson? If not, buy this shit now.

http://www.amazon.com/King-Crimson-...ll&keywords=in+the+colurt+of+the+crimson+king

The most underrated album in rock history. A watershed. It was as important as Sgt. Pepper as it was the first band to ever implement Jazz to Rock and be the origins of Heavy Metal. It came before Jazz Fusion, Black Sabbath, Zeppelin and managed to influence everything that came after what then was known was Progressive Rock.

Now imagine you're back in 69', the summer of love. There are psychedelic, bluesy bands everywhere. And out of nowhere comes this band with an orquestra for a box (Nobody in America knew what a Mellotron was then) opening with this mindfucking song.

Bil Bruford's words were "We didn't know a rock band could play like this" :D even Hendrix became a fan.

#1) With all due respect, but no. Not quite. That is a great King Crimson album, but you can't compare that to Sgt. Pepper. Come on man. Don't make me go all Cris Carter on you now.

#2) Brian Wilson says Hello

Edit- and so does Paul McCartney. It was used in Strawberry Fields Forever :D

Völler

Always spot on
    May 6, 2012
    #1) With all due respect, but no. Not quite. That is a great King Crimson album, but you can't compare that to Sgt. Pepper. Come on man. Don't make me go all Cris Carter on you now.

#2) Brian Wilson says Hello

Edit- and so does Paul McCartney. It was used in Strawberry Fields Forever :D
    Was just going to mention Paul McCartney!

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    And in regards to 21st century schizoid man, what a fucking shame that people of today only equate that to Kanye West's "Power"

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, now I need me some Deep Purple

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    :lol: I already have. I've been a Clash fan for years. "This is England" is pretty decent though.

Joe Strummer should've cut the crap right after the other guys left.

Have you checked out Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros? Really good stuff.
    Never really into their solo stuff, just like I didn't pay Big Audio Dynamite any mind back then, either.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    I done it really enjoyed it. I would of watched it sooner if i had of known of Kevin Shields' involvement. The soundtrack really took the movie to another level. Another movie i love with a similar soundtrack is I Melt With You. Great movie and great cast with Thomas Jane, Jeremy Piven and Rob Lowe. Very Dark movie that slipped under the radar.

soundtrack for I Melt With You:

pretty vacant - sex pistols
    keep on knocking - death
    all going out together - big dipper
    the lawn - deep six
    kundalini express - love and rockets
    out of control - U2
    debaser - pixies
    i wanna be adored - the stone roses
    charlie don't surf - the clash
    holiday in cambodia - dead kennedys
    do your thing - jensen reed
    dog eat dog - adam and the ants
    blue thunder - galaxie 500
    maggot brain - funkadelic
    nasty old feeling - mark cook
    white lines (don't do it) - grandmaster flash, melle mel
    do the dog - the specials
    brand new cadillac - the clash
    bad reputation - joan jett and the blackhearts
    caribou - pixies
    just like honey - the jesus and the mary chain
    all we ever wanted was everything - bauhaus
    coward - vic chesnutt
    talk of the town - chrissie hynde
    hey man, nice shot - filter
    your love is here - emma ejwertz
    nag nag nag - cabaret voltaire
    skyscraper - julian plenti is skyscraper
    i melt with you 2011 - modern english
    Dat is a serious soundtrack :tup:

Such a great rock n' roll album

All Killer, No Filler

I still say Hagar's best album evah.

@swag now this is more like it. @PostIronic watch and learn, baby.

:D

Listening to Double Nickles on the Dime. Easily one of the best albums ever.
    It's awesome. Songs like Viet-nam, etc. Makes you want to move to San Pedro just to hate it.

Ever see the doc "Our Band Could Be Your Life", and in particular "We Jam Econo"?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 19)