Rock, in all shapes and sizes (9 Viewers)

OP
CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #62
    Creep was the second song I heard by Radiohead. The first was Stop Whispering. I was 9 when Pablo Honey came out. My sister had the CD.

It's funny that you have mentioned both Radiohead Creep and Portishead in here. My current girlfriend does acoustic covers of both Creep and Sour Times at most of her shows, alongside some original stuff. :D
    I still have my 97' Ok Computer CD in excellent condition. :D And i remember it like today how i couldn't understand what i was listening when it first came out. That album was so impressive it was a shock to my ears.

That's cool to know. I'd like to hear that. Do you have a link or stmg?

I'm back in business. Got a couple of gigs to play in the weekend, mostly cover songs. I was a whore musician for the longest time, you know, the pay me and i'll play whatever type? But I got my own stuff as well.

Ragazza

Calciopoli Director
    Jul 22, 2013
    :agree:

Indie is really such a vague term that encompasses such a massive array of genres now, it's really just a sound, a style, and more refers to music (of any sort) that a certain type of people listen to. I'd much prefer music being labelled as what it is. Like you say: synthpop; electropop; chillwave; no wave; shoegaze; dream pop; post punk; and so on. It was a similar thing with alternative music in the 90s, although nowhere near as pervasive.

:lol: to Avril Lavigne and Good Charlotte. Blink-182, Sum-41, Jimmy Eat World, Fall Out Boy, Paramore. And so many other pop punk bands for that matter. So bad.
    Yeah, alternative rock and modern rock, etc. This is why I'm glad subgenres exist. "Goth" music is similar. You could go to one goth club and it'd be playing deathrock, post-punk and classic industrial. Then go to another and it'd be EBM-heavy.

What did you make of the "punk is/is not dead" debate? I was always on the "is not" side, but that it was just a matter of not enough people being educated what it really is.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    I still have my 97' Ok Computer CD in excellent condition. :D And i remember it like today how i couldn't understand what i was listening when it first came out. That album was so impressive it was a shock to my ears.

That's cool to know. I'd like to hear that. Do you have a link or stmg?

I'm back in business. Got a couple of gigs to play in the weekend, mostly cover songs. I was a whore musician for the longest time, you know, the pay me and i'll play whatever type? But I got my own stuff as well.
    I remember when OK Computer came out, thinking that it was one of the best albums that year. But that fact in itself had done more to suggest that music had gone to shit from a few years prior. :D

Didn't think it should have been worthy of being one of the best albums of the year... but little countered it.

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
    Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #65
    I remember when OK Computer came out, thinking that it was one of the best albums that year. But that fact in itself had done more to suggest that music had gone to shit from a few years prior. :D

Didn't think it should have been worthy of being one of the best albums of the year... but little countered it.
    Yeah, it's worthy of being one of the best albums in Rock history. :klin:

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    For me, it wasn't until Kid A that I thought they started charting real new territory though. And I still like Kid A >>> than OK Computer.

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
    Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #67
    They're both groundbreaking records to their own merit. One could say Ok Computer brought back the idea of concept in music, Kid A showed that there was life post-rock.

I remember an old interview from Ok Computer's tour when somebody asks Yorke what he thinks of all the copycats trying to dub their sound and he says something like "Good luck trying that with our next album".

It instantly reminded me of Paul McCartney's classic interview from months before Sgt. Peppers was released, the interviewer asks why they haven't played a show in so long and insinuates they've run out of ideas, he calmly says "You just wait." :D

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
    Love me some Elliott Smith. Either/or has to be the most depressing album in history right next to Closer.

Also he fucking guy had such the oddest death ever. How can someone stab himself twice in the chest? You'd thought the pain from the first stabbing would make you lose consciousness or even just the strength to stab you again.

To me it was another Kurt Cobain case, his girl must have something to do with it.

This performance is too beautiful:

Yea great performance. Interestingly i heard that at a concert backstage i cant remember who was playing but Elliott Smith by himself moping around and also there were the members of other bands including Radiohead and even the likes of Thom Yorke were like wow its Elliott Smith people were in awe of him yet I don't think he ever realised how good he was and i agree with his death it seems so suspicious how he cud run into a door to push a knife into his chest twice while having a heated argument with his girlfriend.
    Can't believe this is turning 20 years old in 2 months. I had heard Creep before but this was what got me into the band in 95'. It's funny how many bands tried to sound like it afterwards, copycats were everywhere.

Radiohead.bends.albumart.jpg

An interesting curiosity; It is said that Fake Plastic Trees was written after seeing a Jeff Buckley concert.
    Fake Plastic Trees is my favourite Radiohead song. They must of met some creepy dude at that concert.

- - - Updated - - -

Love me some Elliott Smith. Either/or has to be the most depressing album in history right next to Closer.

Also he fucking guy had such the oddest death ever. How can someone stab himself twice in the chest? You'd thought the pain from the first stabbing would make you lose consciousness or even just the strength to stab you again.

To me it was another Kurt Cobain case, his girl must have something to do with it.

This performance is too beautiful:

For me, it wasn't until Kid A that I thought they started charting real new territory though. And I still like Kid A >>> than OK Computer.
    I also prefer Kid A.

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
    Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #70
    Stevie said:
    Yea great performance. Interestingly i heard that at a concert backstage i cant remember who was playing but Elliott Smith by himself moping around and also there were the members of other bands including Radiohead and even the likes of Thom Yorke were like wow its Elliott Smith people were in awe of him yet I don't think he ever realised how good he was and i agree with his death it seems so suspicious how he cud run into a door to push a knife into his chest twice while having a heated argument with his girlfriend.

I remember his performance at the Oscars, how nervous and out of place he looked. Yet he put on a magical performance with Miss Misery. He was truly talented. He always reminded me of some of George Harrison's solo stuff.

Fake Plastic Trees is my favourite Radiohead song. They must of met some creepy dude at that concert.

During the recording sessions for The Bends in 1994, the band watched Jeff Buckley in concert; Thom later said Buckley had a direct effect on his vocal delivery for “Fake Plastic Trees.

When they returned to the studio mesmerized by Buckley's set, Yorke sang the song twice before breaking down into tears

I also prefer Kid A.

To each his own :D

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
    Interesting stuff about the song i assumed it was about a guy who was in love with a blow up sex doll i would love to know how the Jeff Buckley performance inspired Thom as i am also Jeff Buckley fan and can't see were he would get it from :D

Jul 15, 2006
    Interesting stuff about the song i assumed it was about a guy who was in love with a blow up sex doll i would love to know how the Jeff Buckley performance inspired Thom as i am also Jeff Buckley fan and can't see were he would get it from :D
    STEVIE, considering you're from Ireland-----on a scale of 1-10 how much do u hate U2?

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
    STEVIE, considering you're from Ireland-----on a scale of 1-10 how much do u hate U2?

Thin Lizzy, The Frames, The Dubliners, The Pogues, Wolftones, Stiff Little Fingers, Flogging Molly, Rory Gallagher, Dropkick Murphys (not sure if they count) and maybe a few others i cant think of right now are the only Irish artists i like.

and this band but they only had one great album

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't there a statue of Phil in Dublin?

Wouldn't people just know who he is without even trying?
    Yeah there is a really cool statue.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    and this band but they only had one great album

That album was at their absolute peak, though it borrowed from many of the great EPs that preceded it.

I confess that I was not as convinced by their recent m b v release, despite Kevin Shields' legendary perfectionism. Isn't Anything isn't bad either, but an evolving step in their sound. But Kevin Shields did great things for the Lost in Translation soundtrack, IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)