Rock, in all shapes and sizes (28 Viewers)

OP
CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #384
    FFS MAN, NOT BOWIE. Waking up to this news is the worst there could be. One of the best and most complete artists that ever lived, fucking genius.

Love you, man. RIP.

- - - Updated - - -

What an extremely sad day.

- - - Updated - - -

wtf is going on, legends dying everywhere :cry:
    Soon enough we'll be left with nothing but this disgraceful generation of shit artists.

Give it another 10 or 15 years and all the great artists from that golden age will be dead. Meanwhile we'll be left with the same boring hip hop beats and shit lyrics.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
    Jul 11, 2011
    Maybe, just maybe, it will inspire a new generation since they won't be living in the shadow of giants. And people will need new legends eventually. Hopefully there will be real artists, not just turds like Kanye West and Taylor Swift.

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #387
    Maybe, just maybe, it will inspire a new generation since they won't be living in the shadow of giants. And people will need new legends eventually. Hopefully there will be real artists, not just turds like Kanye West and Taylor Swift.
    Kids need to get up from their fucking chairs and make great music again. Having to listen to this pop shit fucking sucks.

But I doubt it's gonna happen. Artistically speaking this generation is mediocre.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Well, it's not like he was full of youth or something. 70 years

or the answer you wanna hear: with his music, he will never die
    Even if he was up there in age, he was still relevant. Still making new, exciting music. He was still in the public eye.

Lemmy had just finished shows in Germany 3 weeks before he died. It would be different if they were no longer in the public eye or making new music.

- - - Updated - - -

Now I'm in tears again.

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #390
    Even if he was up there in age, he was still relevant. Still making new, exciting music. He was still in the public eye.

Lemmy had just finished shows in Germany 3 weeks before he died. It would be different if they were no longer in the public eye or making new music.

- - - Updated - - -

Now I'm in tears again.

Exactly. Some artists when they pass away they are, of course, missed but they're missed for what they did in the past. Bowie will be missed for what he's doing in the present and what he could do in the future.

Still absolutely relevant. He was a little drop of creativity in a sea of fucking cheap beats and no originality.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
    Jul 11, 2011
    There is very little uncharted territory left
    Exactly, there's only so much you can do with the same chords, guitars, drums, bass and 2 stereo channels.

But besides, I don't think it's really about that. Most of the 'popular' rock stuff in the 90s like Grunge and Britpop was already done in the 60s-80s so I think it's as much of a cultural thing as 'the music'. The best you can hope for is some kind of rock revival that doesn't have anything to do with past greats besides influence.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Kanye has the right idea, but his medium and persona turns a big audience of people away from him.
    In a sense that's true. But musically, no. Which is really what matters in the end.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Exactly, there's only so much you can do with the same chords, guitars, drums, bass and 2 stereo channels.

But besides, I don't think it's really about that. Most of the 'popular' rock stuff in the 90s like Grunge and Britpop was already done in the 60s-80s so I think it's as much of a cultural thing as 'the music'. The best you can hope for is some kind of rock revival that doesn't have anything to do with past greats besides influence.

- - - Updated - - -

In a sense that's true. But musically, no. Which is really what matters in the end.
    What I have done, is I have turned down the knob on my musical snob meter.

I take the music that has come out now and very recently at face value, and stop trying to compare it to musical groups or singers from the past, because to me, they will never measure up. And if I were to continue to do that, then I wouldn't like anything out there, or worse yet, not even give myself the opportunity to try

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
    Jul 11, 2011
    What I have done, is I have turned down the knob on my musical snob meter.

I take the music that has come out now and very recently at face value, and stop trying to compare it to musical groups or singers from the past, because to me, they will never measure up. And if I were to continue to do that, then I wouldn't like anything out there, or worse yet, not even give myself the opportunity to try
    Well I think that's how a lot of new music passes as 'great' these days :p Of course there's still good stuff being released but some of it is not even decent yet it will get huge hype....

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    There's never gonna be very little uncharted territory left in music. Music is infinite. Especially with what you can do with a computer, production-wise. Truth is there's very little creativity left.
    But the problem, I think, that artists are facing today is that they are not given the proper time to be able to hone their craft. Today, if you are not making money right away, then some of the more talented people that might be out there, will never be heard from again.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I think that's how a lot of new music passes as 'great' these days :p Of course there's still good stuff being released but some of it is not even decent yet it will get huge hype....
    There is still some good stuff coming out right now when you judge it against what they are going up against right now.

You can't judge a Rival Sons, for instance, against some of their influences such as Bad Company and Thin Lizzy, because it is an unfair comparison.

Rival Sons on their own merits, however, are a good band.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
    Jul 11, 2011
    Rival Sons are good but they are overly redolent imo. There is a difference between being influenced and trying to be your influences. Same thing with Wolfmother and the Black Crowes etc. Good bands, but the retro thing seems kind of boring when you can just listen to the real thing. It's not that they are 'worse', more just that it's already been done to death. I find it more interesting when the influences are more hidden and thus an original sound is created.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 28)