Roberto Baggio (3 Viewers)

nina

Feb 18, 2001
Roberto Baggio has written a new chapter to his successful autobiography dealing with his disappointment at missing the 2002 World Cup.

A running theme throughout his book ‘Una Porta nel Cielo’ (A goal in the sky) was the veteran’s optimism that he would one day wear the Azzurri shirt again in a major tournament.

However, Giovanni Trapattoni did not consider the Divine Ponytail for the World Cup in Japan and Korea, probably putting an end to his international career.

In the book’s new sections the Brescia player describes Trap’s decision as “inexplicable” and confirms he wishes to carry on playing for another two years.

35-year-old Baggio confessed in an interview this summer that he could not bear to watch the competition and spent that month on his estate in Argentina.

Magazine ‘Sette’ revealed that among the themes discussed in this new chapter are his encounter with a leopard during that holiday, the agony at losing a friend and his remarkable 76-day recovery from a ruptured knee ligament.

The new edition is released in Italy on Thursday and the autobiography has up until now sold over 200,000 copies.

Football Italia

I bet mate read Una Porta nel Cielo? :D I wanted to buy the book but in every bookshop I went it was already sold out :down:

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
OMG!!! he's already got Gray hair! :down:

With all the success he's had, i still think it wasn't nearly enough compared with his potential...

he was extremely unlucky in his career with Coaches and couple of Injuries at crucial times.....
Not to mention the psycologial damage after he missed that Penalty....

I admire his mental strength.

mate

Aug 28, 2002
Of course I read "una porta nel cielo":D

It is a very nice book! It sold so much... it was the record of all time 4 a "sport book" in Italy.
I didn't buy the new one yet... I heard about it but I didn't know it was already out.
I saw in the "corriere della sera" the preview of the "sette" cover with Baggio... looks :thumb:

I suggest you to read the book too, but I heard a lot of fans complaining cause ther's not an englisch version yet... ther's a japonise, chinise, korean, viatnamite, everything but not englisch... is it true or you saw it?

mate

Aug 28, 2002
How will you manage to read it? :confused:
Do you understand Italian? If you understand a bit it want be difficolt... but is not just a football book so it will not be too easy too;)

mate

Aug 28, 2002
Nina, If you can't find the book in the bookshops, why don't you buy it from internet... I can't suggest you how... cause I never bought anything that way :D but I know a lot of peaple found it in the net...

Codino

The Rival
Jul 21, 2002
im very excited... but also upset that i cannot find the book here in australia. i have been looking for 3 months :(

oh well... one day.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
For those of you who can't read Italian, or you've lost all hope in finding Baggio's Book, i found this link that might help.

It's an online English translation of Baggio's book.
I don' think it's done by a professional Translator, so u might not get the exact words as spoken by Baggio, but it might help.

http://www.geocities.com/baggiosite/upnc.html

:D

Though, i wouldn't read 2 sections.
1. "Juventus Plot"
2. "Oppressions by Lippi"

it's not a pretty discription of what goes on behind the scenes. For the first time, i started to feel hate towards Juve!!! and Lippi!!
:down: it really messes up ur mind!!!! :down:

One more thing, Baggio seems very stuck-up!! (I did, I am, I will, i was, i had, ....) :stuckup: maybe its the translation!!?!

nina

Feb 18, 2001
Thanks Majad :D

++ [ originally posted by mate ] ++
How will you manage to read it? :confused:
Do you understand Italian? If you understand a bit it want be difficolt... but is not just a football book so it will not be too easy too;)
I think I know enough, not exactly every word, but I'll manage :)

KeNgO

Oct 28, 2002
Trapattoni Blasts Baggio Over Autobiography Claim

10/31/2002. The controversies between Italy coach Giovanni Trapattoni and Roberto Baggio continue.

In the latest chapter of Baggio's autobiography he suggests that he wasn't picked for the World Cup for fear that this could have caused trouble inside the team.

Trapattoni, though, has hit back.

"I don't care what Baggio says, I'm a real man and not one who cries and complains," said the under-pressure coach.
SA Italy

My Comments:

its a shame what a great player like Baggio had to go through!!!!

i believe he suffered alot due to being unlucky

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Majed, is that the real text?? The chapters are so short, looks more like a summary.

For a man whose reputation is of being so extremely humble, I don't exactly see how publishing one book after another supports that opinion. He doesn't get picked for KoreaJapan, he writes another book to complain about Trap. And as I browse the list of chapters Majed provided (assuming this is a reliable translation) I only see him complaining, it's not his fault, he was betrayed, Sacchi is crazy, it goes on and on. I can't say I've seen too many other players complain like this, looks like he has a bit of an ego there..

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Part Sixteen : Agrement with Trapattoni
After spending 2 years at Inter, I decided to look for a new team. Brescia Coach Mazzone told me that if I joined Brescia, he would be very happy and build a team around me. His words made me proud. Meanwhile, a Japanese club offered me an unbelievable price that I couldn't not consider. If I went to Japan, it would mean goodbye to the World Cup. Therefore I made a phone call to the National team Coach Trapattoni.

Trapattoni explicitly said that he would treat the veterans and younger players as equal. Participation in the World Cup would entirely depend on the player's performance. Hearing these words, I said yes to Mazzone without hesitation.
So he didn't choose Brescia for sporting ambition, he chose them because Mazzone promised him he would be the center of attention and because he would have a chance to make the World Cup squad.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
looks like he has a HUGE ego...i didn;t like what i read at all!
:fero:

the book seemed to focus on:
Good coaches should center the team around me [Baggio]...Good clubs should think i'm the best player on earth.
another thing: He never said how good Del Piero has become!!
he only mentioned that he helped him and that DP sucked in all ternauments.

BTW, It says that an amature translated them...not only that, i think all it is is a summery of the book....

mate

Aug 28, 2002
The first book is amazing!!!
What he said about Lippi is not taking more than few lines and, anycase it was already wellknown from everybody here... so was not surprising...

The second one I haven't buy it yet but looks like it is about a lot of things... the injures, the recovery, Fiorentina problems, ecc... about Trap looks like he said he didn't really understand the real reason why he excluded him from the WC cause he said "you are injured, your condition are not good" while after the surgery he played in the last 3 matches of the championschip and scored 3 goals in 130 minutes :eek: and considered all the season he scored 11 goals in 12 match :eek:... well he's not the olyone who want to know the real reason... all Italy will like to know it...

I think the biggest Baggio "problem" was that he remained a "real person" who says what he wants, what he likes and what he doesn't like without becoming "somting to be sold and to make money with" like mostly of the the other players... of course that caused him a lot of bad experiens especially with coaches and with "powerful people" but that's made all the fans loved him how it never happened and will never happen again here in Italy... He is just himself and he doesn't care to do what "it will be better to do"... I'm sure he prefer to be like this and he prefer to have million of peaple who loves him than Crappattoni to speak good about him....

I looked 4 the place where you can buy the books :D
This is the editor website: www.liminaedizioni.it , and this is their email [email protected] , and of course you can find it also in generic book's website like www.libridellosport.it ...
Remember that those books titols are "Una pota nel cielo" and "il sogno dopo" and Baggio is the autor cause I saw ther's so many books about him in the net: "Baggio", "ti ricordi, Baggio, quel rigore?", " Baggio vorrei che tu cartesio ed io", " storia e miti dei mondiali - pele', maradona, baggio e altre meraviglie", "toccato da Dio - le sette vite di Roberto Raggio" but they are all written from others autors not from him.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
looks like he has a HUGE ego...i didn;t like what i read at all!
:fero:

the book seemed to focus on:
Good coaches should center the team around me [Baggio]...Good clubs should think i'm the best player on earth.
Yeah, how coaches he liked built the team around him and how coaches he didn't like didn't.

mate

Aug 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
Majed, is that the real text?? The chapters are so short, looks more like a summary.

For a man whose reputation is of being so extremely humble, I don't exactly see how publishing one book after another supports that opinion. He doesn't get picked for KoreaJapan, he writes another book to complain about Trap. And as I browse the list of chapters Majed provided (assuming this is a reliable translation) I only see him complaining, it's not his fault, he was betrayed, Sacchi is crazy, it goes on and on. I can't say I've seen too many other players complain like this, looks like he has a bit of an ego there..
Yes, it is a summary... I read it... it is so long... and it speaks about so many things who are not in the summary.

++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
So he didn't choose Brescia for sporting ambition, he chose them because Mazzone promised him he would be the center of attention and because he would have a chance to make the World Cup squad.
He just prefered to play in Italy with a coach with who the feeling was :thumb: having the chance to ply his 4 WC insted than to go to Japan also if he was been offered 3 times the money he get in Brescia... He did a good choice cause I don't think he needs money and also if he injured and didn't go to the WC he won "his personal challage" and cause we Italians need him in seria A... we need owers "football Panda"...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)