Roberto Baggio (4 Viewers)

mate

Aug 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by laresca ] ++
baggio looks more distinctive- more recognisable in his goatee and slit-eyes.... :)

the second guy looks like a NBA basketball player. Kinda stupid to wear soccer boots and play Bball. He'd slip and fall and break his head, damaging a lobe and walk around a retard for the rest of his life.

Now THATS SAD.
The second guy is Weah, who retired now (as I know) but was a football legend too! In those years he was Roberto attakking patner in AC Milan...

Buy on AliExpress.com

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
Where to start…..
Firstly, I have not jus walked away from the thread as some would suggest.
As stated in several other threads, I am away from home at the mo and as such it is not always easy to post.
Im jus gonna run through a few posts in this thread…. And as long as the replies are a discussion not childish rubbish I will answer any questions / criticisms ASAP
Thank you!!
No offence to you baggio fans.... but dont you think its time he retired before he tarnishes his good name and becomes no more than a faded hanger on!!

This season he has been crap and the signs of aging are there for all to see now!!

Wouldnt you rather see him retire now than carrying on endlessly under performing and embarassing his name!!
My Original post…. What exactly is insulting about this??
I start off making the idea of the post clear , by stating no offence.
Maybe I made an error in the use of the word crap, as gaining correct context is not always obvious to someone whos first language is not English… for that I apologise!!
The word crap is whats known as ‘base’…. Eg . Its non – descript , open to interpretation depending on the context for which its used…. Crap can be used in many ways varying from cool through poor to damn to complete rubbish!!
In this context it was meant as in poor (for him) or below expectations… not rubbish or any insulting term…. Obviously an error in judgement by me, as some got that and some did not!!
I will come back to my reasons for my opinion later!!
The whole point of this was that I find it very disappointing when some of the worlds greatest sports people hang on way past the sell buy date… and often sully there reputations, finally retiring with the fresh memories being one of a has been not the great sports star they should and deserve to be remembered for…..
This was in no way insulting, or at any point did I question the great things he has done in the past…
Respaul if you do not know waht's going on in the Italian championschip do not speak plaese! Baggio never been rated under 6,5 this season , and last match vs Reggina he was rated 7/7,5 from every newspaper and he was in the best 11 of the week! He's not in his best shape but he still good and skillfull.
So the italian fans favorite, the one who was voted last week the most loved player in Italy has to quit playing cause he was not amazing (but still rated 6) in a singole match. That's ilarious!
All others Brescia good players (Bachini, Appiah and Toni) are out, he has 2 good balls to play when others attakkers has 20 so he can't be criticated... Look at Inzaghi (4 example) in Milan he scores 2 goals a match and in the National team he does nothing, cause the NT others players sucks and in Milan he has Rivaldo, Rui Costa, ecc... to support him, and Brescia in this moment is way more awful then the NT! How can you be critic with a foward if the team has problems, just try to defend him self and he do not recive balls to play?
Who is critic with Baggio just do not understand nothing (ABSOLUTELY NOTHING) of football!!!
Roby had a very bad knee surgery (something like the 4 or 5 in his career) and he did not recovered 100%, that's true but remember that players like Salas and Chiesa were out one year 4 injures like this and that Del Piero was justified for 4 years for just 1 injure!
Anycase Brescia is now in a critic situation 4 others players injurs, Baggio is doing very well but that's not enought to avoid the defens mistake and Tare ridicolous mistakes on his perfect assists!
He can do miracles when he has the ball but he still have to learn to do them avoiding others players mistakes and injures
This response , although heartfelt , I find insulting and childish… If you had wanted to discuss it you would have questioned me instead, you decide to attempt to ridicule and insult me……
To tell me I don’t know what im talking about and tell me not to speak on an open forum is rude and insulting….
I admire you for your passion , but you say I don’t want to have a discussion yet you come at me with posts like that…. If it could be a calm debate I would love to have this discussion with you but it never seems to be…. Maybe its jus the language barrier again and I / we misunderstand each other…. Who knows…. But I assure you no offence was intended and I at no point will tell you to be quiet or , your ridiculous or to shut up, as vlong as the discussion is clean!!
I apologise for what some may see as a harsh response to your pm, but I see the pm as your own private sanctuary, where you speak to people on a more friendly (or sometimes not) , but not somewhere to be ridiculed or insulted….. Im sorry for the post but I feel you deserved it!!
RESPAUL WHAT DO YOU WANT??? THE MESSAGE IS THE SAME I PUT IN THE TRADE!!! ARE YOU CRAZY OR WHAT??? IF YOU WANT TO SAY BULLSHIT ABOUT JUVENTUS PLAIER OR EX PLAYER AND YOU DON'T WANT NOBODY TO REPLAY THAT'S NOT THE RIGHT FORUM GO TO WWW.ANTIJUVE.COM THERE THEY SPEAK ABOUT OF ALL THIS STUPID INVENTED THINGS AND EVERYBODY ARE AGREE!
DON'T YOU SEE THAT YOU ARE THE CHILDISCH ONE?
This appears jus as insulting as anything ive posted… though I admit I personally do not understand every word of it….. but do find it somewhat 2 faced that my post is deleted but this is allowed to be posted all over the board.
As I said the initial post was not an insult , jus misunderstood!!
If you knew me you would know I am more than happy to have a discussion and personally have no real interest in people that agree!!
I tryied but did you see the result?
It is so unapropiate when those peaple come across to say bullschit (totaly invented) about players and insulting the forum members... it is a pity in a friendly forum like this... To discuss is ok I discussed with others but this guy is so rude...
Are you the moderator of this trade? Can you delay his rude and crazy posts or I have to report them to Nekton?
I explained the reason for the insult earlier…. You should also be willing to admit your response was also not friendly!!
How is my opinion that baggio is poor at this time invented… it is an opinion , and at that one that many I have spoken too agree with.
Or am I not allowed opinions that are not pro baggio..
if its wat he thinks... good for him, he does not know the true meaning of soccera dn how it is played.. say as much as u want, NOTHING can change wat Baggio has done....
Again, you have no right to say I know nothing of football cause I disagree with you…. We all have very different opinions, and I would say the majority of people here have a reasonable understanding of football.
As I pointed out earlier I never questioned baggios past achievement jus his current play.

Peaple like this just do not understand that saying that Baggio (voted the 4 of soccer history) is crap mean just embarassing themself
Maybe reaspaul never saw a match or maybe he just wanted us to laught so laud all day long
Again, where did I question baggios place in football history… I did not!!.... jus purely a question about whether its time for him to call it a day!!

Due to my neighbour being a diehard baggio fan, I have to tape every brescia game for him and as such have unfortunately (I say that as they are an appaling team this term) ended up watching every game so far this season.

Now from my viewpoint (and that of the people watching with me) baggio has been well below par this season.
Now fair enough, hes jus recovering etc… but that’s not what im talking about!!
Yes the skills are still there, but what I see when he plays now, for the first time is signs that baggio is old!!

Hes sluggish, hes having to stretch much more, passes he used to throw without even thinking about are going astray, he struggles to turn his man, often having to take a second look and opt for the back pass instead!!
Jus in general the normal things that happen to a skill player as they get older!!

I personally do not want to see him struggling like that and as such feel it is time he quit or at least considered taking a back seat as a sub… as many older players do!!

Paul's post was a provocation, something he does quite often. Posts something and then leaves without even explaining on what grounds they are based. If someone asks him he does not reply or says something like you're not a true football fan if you don't know what I'm talking about. Now, this is sad!

mate explained why he thinks that Baggio is stil playing well (on previous page) and sent the same reply to Paul in a PM. Paul responce was delated (I don't think I have to explain of what nature it was then).
I personally did not feel the post was a provocation… an invitation maybe!!
I refute that, I generally give my grounds… the only difference being I do not use the internet as much as many of you… I visit maybe 12 sites only … and as such I use alternative sources.
Many times I have pointed people to where info was sourced from, but unless its direct links people will never take notice….
The amount of times I have pointed people to a simple phone call… but they are unwilling to do so….. that is not my fault.
If I don’t always reply it is generally as I am often away from home… in the last 6 months I have spent jus 42 days at home, and as such I am often without access or when I do get home, I need to spend time with my daughter rather than run to the forum…. I wont apologise for that!!
As for saying people are not fans… that is generally provoked by people winding you up and asking the dumbest questions, that any supposed fan would know… or showing a distinct lack of interest, but calling themselves supporters… juve have many glory hunters as well you know!!! Unfortunately lately we give them little to shout about…
As for deleting my post… I accept that but think it unfair yopu have not removed mates follow up that is in several threads!!

Mmmm.... You know I respect opinions.... like 4 exemple I totaly respect you when you say that Baggio is a grate player but that you don't think he deserved to be voted the forth of soccer history and staff like this... I'm not agree but I think that is a normal and no-provocative opinion of someone who is not a Baggio fan nor an anti Baggio....
About respaul: he came here telling he was crap all the season and he's better quit playng... I just answored that he did not play good (but still rated 6) vs Bologna but actually he was rated 7/7,5 vs Reggina and 6,5 about all the matchs so his words are ilarious, and his better have a look to seie A before to speak. That's not offensive, is just reporting real facts... and he answered in a very rude way...
Onestly if you want to write a totaly invented bullschit how can you pretend nobody answer to you?
Anycase I don't care... saying things like this he is just embarassing him self...

P.S.: Critics, jokes, discussions and staff like that from you and from everybody who don't use to put their frustation in a forum are in anycase always welcome... but don't get pist if somebody answor you
As I said mate, my post was not meant offensively, and your reply was not clean either… asd I said a discussion would have been nice.
Again I apologise for the insult… but your pm was not right, and neither was your reply (though maybe unintentionally… I don’t know!!)

Anyway… that’s it for now!!

mate

Aug 28, 2002
I know your first post was not offensive is the second one... the one that was banned, the one I'm talking about...
My first replay was not offensive too... I was just pointing to you the fact that Baggio is not plaing crap... he's not in his best shape but still playing good and that's even a miracle if you think about how quick he recovered from the last knee surgery... It is a normal replay and I don't understan why you got so pist about it!!! If you are in a Juve forum and in a Baggio trade and you say he's doing crap and he's better to retire is normal that somebody replay to you especially when that's no true cause he did just a not-good match in all the season... Your second replay was totaly inapropiated and I don't understand why you posted it... what did you expect us to replay: "Yes you right, he was rated 4 all season, he's better to quit"... I just pointed you the real facts in my first replay... where it was so rude my answer to make you insulting me like you did?????

James

Sep 27, 2002
Baggio was a fantastic player in his day. At Juve he was
amazing and deservedly won European Footballer Of The Year
in 1993. However he is well past his best, and not just this
season, I remember watching him play for Inter against
Man Utd in the Champions' League a few years ago and even
then it was clear he wasn't the same player. Sure it's sad
when great players can't play the way they used to, but the
decision to keep playing in his choice and no one will think any
less of him for doing so.

mate

Aug 28, 2002
It's cleare that you have something vs Baggio cause I don't know if you remember but Del Piero played low level 4 a lot of years after an injur, Salas is doing bad too (4 the same reason) but I didn't see any post where you said they should retire... I think is so normal that he's not in his best shape now... every player take a while to recover complitely after a knee surgery... and that's not the age cause last year before he broke the knee he was serie A topscorer with more than 1 goal a match.... 11 goals in 10 match i'm not wrong...

Than I remember in an other trade about the best Italian player ever I said I think is Baggio (like most of the peaple who posted there) and that's a normal opinion and not a crazy one cause he was voted the "azzurro ever" from a FIGC pool and the 4 of soccer history in a FIFA one (only Italian mentioned...) and you also had something to say...

And most of all... weeks ago there was a trade about DP and ZZ admitted to take doping and you came in the trade saying "what do you think? Baggio is doped too" that was maybe the most crazy thing I heard from you... cause he never ever been in this kind of polemics....

Well is not a crime to hate Baggio, you will have your reasons... But I don't understand why you get so pist when somebody answer to you, even when is not a rude answer... beeing in a Juve forum that's normal...
If you say something like, 4 example "he played not so good vs Bologna why?" or "I don't understand why in the FIFA player of the century he's before Platinì" or similar question we can start a normal dicussion and that can also beeing interesting cause a forum is also 4 this not just to post pictures but it is obvious that saing "he've been crap all the season" "he's a drug addicted" or staff like that you can't be taken so seriosly and we think you are just saying this to be provocative and not to talk about an argoment...

mate

Aug 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by James ] ++
Baggio was a fantastic player in his day. At Juve he was
amazing and deservedly won European Footballer Of The Year
in 1993. However he is well past his best, and not just this
season, I remember watching him play for Inter against
Man Utd in the Champions' League a few years ago and even
then it was clear he wasn't the same player. Sure it's sad
when great players can't play the way they used to, but the
decision to keep playing in his choice and no one will think any
less of him for doing so.
Well maybe you did not see Inter-Real Madrid, Roma-Inter, Juve-Brescia and many many others match.... I can't understand why when a player play bad a single match you have to say staff like that... I repeat last year before he injured he was serie A topscorer, he was the player with the hightest medium rating and Brescia (that without him is a crap team) was between the firsts in the championschip... So if he's bad it means you consider all the players who are in serie A totaly crappy!
Then yes... sometimes he do nothing 4 a whole match... but if I have to say comparing with the others players that's not happening so often especially when it is an important match!

P.S.: Why you don't dowload the videos I posted... you will discover a lot of amazing Baggio goals with Milan, Bologna, Inter and Brescia! Maybe some not Italians Juvefans are not following him so much anymore and that's why they think he's not doing so good after he left Juve but that's absolutely not true...
Last 2 seasons 4 example he had injures but when he was ok he was really amazing... maybe you didn't see the matches but that's true... If you don't belive me I will email you all the covers of the Sport magazines who before the WC where just talking about Baggio who really had to go to the WC cause he still the only one who can really make the difference...

P.S.2: Going trought your posts I found one adout Berkamp and Henry... You where saing: "Bergkamp didn't fail in serie a, he simply played for a very poor,
defence-minded Inter side. Likewise Thierry Henry didn't fail at
Juve either, as he proved when he terrorised Juve at Highbury
last season"... Well many peaple here in Italy think they are crap cause they saw them playing few times and then they did not followed tham any more...
4 Baggio, In Inter happened something similar than to Berkamp... You saw a match where he did not play too good but you don't know how was Inter situation that year: they were so crap and thay even changed 5 (!!!) coachs in one year... But still Baggio did not bad and made amazings goals vs Real in the CL and also in serie A... You can't be critic with him 4 a match with a team so cathastrophic!!! Last 2 years, anycase he did very well... but he's not plaing internationl games, just in serie A... so maybe that's why not Italians are doubious about the fact that he's still grate!
And I'm not talking about his season in Bologna, where he did 22 goals beeing the second topscores after Ronaldo... and about WC 98 where considering Italy poor contition he was very good!

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
You know I have to say I share Paul's sentiments a bit. I think that for a truly great player, whom you will remember for all his success, it is a shame to see him decline to a less spectacular level. Because you want to remember all the best things and you don't want his image to be clouded by below par displays towards the end of his career.

On the other hand, it's up to the player to decide that. And I don't think anyone deserves to be reproached because they decided to continue playing. A career is like a cycle, when you're young you make your way up to the top and inevitably your form, your physical fitness, it will all decline. And a person who loves to play (after all that is what they do for a living) I think is entitled to decide they want to make the most of it, play from beginning to end. If that is what they want, they should be able to make that decision.

mate

Aug 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
You know I have to say I share Paul's sentiments a bit. I think that for a truly great player, whom you will remember for all his success, it is a shame to see him decline to a less spectacular level. Because you want to remember all the best things and you don't want his image to be clouded by below par displays towards the end of his career.

On the other hand, it's up to the player to decide that. And I don't think anyone deserves to be reproached because they decided to continue playing. A career is like a cycle, when you're young you make your way up to the top and inevitably your form, your physical fitness, it will all decline. And a person who loves to play (after all that is what they do for a living) I think is entitled to decide they want to make the most of it, play from beginning to end. If that is what they want, they should be able to make that decision.
I totaly agree with those sentiments too and I'm sure that Roberto Baggio will stop when he will not be able to be good anymore...
But till last year he was so amazing and I think (or better...I hope) that when he will be 100% recoverred from the injur he will be at the same level...
If he still so good and skillful I don't see why he have to stop to have fun and to make peaple happy playing football!
I know many players at his age start to go down but you have too make a difference Maldini, Batistuta, ecc... are strong phisically and they are used to base their game also on it, so they feel the age... Baggio never been strong, never runned so much, always tryed to avoid contrasts so he always based his game in an other way and he's used to have phisical problems so he knows how to manege it... It is the same 4 all the players with his caratheristic, (Zola, Mancini, Maradona, ecc...) they can go on till 40... the lost of power will not change the way they play cause they they never had it too much....
Anycase you don't get "too old" in few months, that's a slow process so if Baggio was so good till he injured, and he was serie A topscorer... if he will recover (and looks like he already did it also if not 100%) I don't see why to be worried about this season....

James

Sep 27, 2002
I'm a huge Baggio fan, I've watched and admired him for years
and have seen many of his great goals and performances, not
just for Juve but also for Italy, Bologna, Inter, Milan etc.

The point I'm making is that the Baggio I remember was sharp,
quick, able to drop deep and pick up the ball and run at
defenders, evade tackles and score spectacular solo goals.
All he does now is play the simple pass because he simply
doesn't have the legs to get away from people anymore. I'm not
criticising him for that because he's had hellish knee problems his
entire career. Paul Gasgoigne is another good example, I believe
Gazza to be the most talented english player in the last 20 years
and his great talent was bursting forward from midfield at pace,
ghosting past players at will. Yet Gazza also had terrible knee
injuries which mean he's not the player he used to be either.

I'm not disputing that Baggio can still play, I'm just saying that
he's not the player he was. Baggio himself would agree, but as
long as he's still enjoying his football and giving enjoyment to
all his fans, I see no reason for him to retire.

mate

Aug 28, 2002
Look at the replay I did to your other post cause I edited later so maybe you didn't read it all....

Anycase it's true he's not the player he was but that's just this season not till he left Juve!!! Till he inured last february he was still "sharp, quick, able to drop deep and pick up the ball and run at defenders, evade tackles and score spectacular solo goals" and ecc...
I think it's normal that he's not at his 100% right now... he had a bad knee surgery and all the players (remember DP? And look at Salas now...) needs time to recover... sometimes more than one year...

He said that he expected a slow beginning of the season cause he overcharged himself of work to recover perfectly and now his muscles are "engulfed"... let's see...

I'm sure that if his knees will not do bad jokes again he can be "Baggio" for 2 more years... last year he was really amazing so I don't see any reasons why he can't be it this year too if he won't have phisical problem...
Let's hope he won't have it!!!
I tell you what all Italian medias said when he injured last time and he wanted to quit: "ROBY BAGGIO DO NOT QUIT PLEASE! DON'T MAKE YOUR KNEES MAKE THIS DECISION TOU ARE THE ONE WHO HAVE TO MAKE IT WHEN IT WILL BE THE MOMENT" and that's not the moment cause looks like he recovered... Probably the biggest power that he has is the support from all the peaple... he's ower hero, we all love him in Italy, indipendently of the team we like, and we want to see him as long as possible cause probably no players like him will never be born here.
I take the chance that he won't make it to recover completely... he had too many knee injures... but we can't say it now cause this timings are normals 4 a surgery operation like the one he had... If around next february he will still have problems I will start to be worry 4 him but 4 the moment I'm not....

mate

Aug 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by mate ] ++
Everybody saw Baggio goals in the WC's and in the big matches but there are so many also in serie A...
From this link you can download a video with a lot of not so famos but still wonderful Roby goals...
The last one is the one he scored vs Lecce straight from a corner...

http://www.pro-paul.net/baggio/media/super_baggio.rm
Did you dowload this video :star::star::star::star::star: guys?

nina

Feb 18, 2001
I wouldn't know, that's why I asked. I don't think he does, but you never know :D Haven't made it to Brescia's locker-room yet :eek: :D

BTW, the goal before the last two goals (against Lecce) in that collection is my fav! The opponent was almost lying on the ball but Baggio just pushed it under him into the goal :star: :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)