Roberto Baggio (8 Viewers)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by nina ] ++
With Trap the chances of seeing players who really perform and would deserve the call-up is close to none I'm afraid. Which in a way is good as FIGC will finally realize what a clown they have for a coach :rolleyes:
Lippi is next most likely. Not the perfect choice either, it may be a while...

Buy on AliExpress.com

mate

Aug 28, 2002
With Trap the chances of seeing players who really perform and would deserve the call-up is close to none I'm afraid. Which in a way is good as FIGC will finally realize what a clown they have for a coach :rolleyes:
I guess it is FIGC itself who force Trapattoni to call up players to please powerful peaple... and infact that always happened with Italian NT also with others coaches

++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++

Lippi is next most likely. Not the perfect choice either, it may be a while...
Yes media report Lippi like the most likely... but I still have my doubts... he is the most hated coach of Italy, and the NT coach must have consence from most of the fans... so I can't see how they can choose a coach who is involved with just one team and hated from all the rest of the country... they did something like that with Sacchi, but I remember he was so criticised at every mistake and had such a hard job. I think a coach who was involved with more teams or abroad is more ok, my favourite 4 the NT is Ranieri and I see also Capello better than Lippi.

++ [ originally posted by Vinman ] ++

Gila is NO WAY IN HELL ANYWHERE NEAR the class of Roberto Baggio

This kid has a long way to go.........................

Baggio should be picked !!!!
Of course Gila is an other thing from Roby...
Roby is the best Italian player ever while Gila is just a young guy who had his first wonderful season, but often this kind of players may be so useful, remember Schillaci? Gila is on fire while players like Inzaghi and Del Piero did nothing all the season, so let's give him a chance, he cannot do worst than tham.

nina

Feb 18, 2001
++ [ originally posted by mate ] ++
I guess it is FIGC itself who force Trapattoni to call up players to please powerful peaple... and infact that always happened with Italian NT also with others coaches
What powerfull people? :rolleyes:

mate

Aug 28, 2002
What powerfull people? :rolleyes:
I mean big clubs (Moggi, Galliani, ecc...) and also sponsors...
Was always like this also before Trapattoni... big international competitions are such a money business :groan:

nina

Feb 18, 2001
Well I believe that Moggi&co. shouldn't be involved in any kind of 'selecting' of the players. Nor does it help a lot to the sponsours if the team doesn't get anywhere. People get tired of seeing 'popular' names if they don't see the results.

mate

Aug 28, 2002
They schouldn't but they are cause FICG is very weak and depend on them, also Trapattoni depend on tham. And infact the only reason while he still the CT even after the shame of last WC is cause he always please who he has too...

If one player play or not in the EURO or in the WC it change a lot 4 his club cause his commercial value (jersey and various items selled or money owned in case they want to sell him) increase a lot thanks of it.
That's why, unfortunately, during big international competitions you will always see on field players who are "pusched" by big club also if they won't deserve to be there while players of smaller teams or of abroad teams will be excluded :groan:

I don't know if also in other countryes happen something like this (I guess so) but in Italy is very ridicolous cause even fans who has just a small clue about soccer can imagine that a coach can't be so kamikaze to call up or to make playing certain players and not somebody way better than tham...

coyote

Mar 21, 2004
Mate that is sooo true what you say. I am not sure about this but ive hear that Ancellotti was considering being the next Italain NT coach, but i dont know what you guys think have u hear anything about this.

marky

Aug 4, 2003
Well in my opinion, Trap is keeping Baggio in mind just in case. He opened the door for him for the game in Spain because he knows that Inzaghi has been hurt all year, Del Piero is still hurt, Vieri hasn't been playing. These are his best players and biggest names and they are all struggling before the Euros. All I have to say is that it would absolutely suck if Trap took injured players to Portugal instead of Baggio.

nina

Feb 18, 2001
There is no way he will take Baggio to Euro, no way will he sink now and accept him into the team and let him play. For a friendly against Spain yes, but no further than that I believe.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by mark ] ++
Well in my opinion, Trap is keeping Baggio in mind just in case. He opened the door for him for the game in Spain because he knows that Inzaghi has been hurt all year, Del Piero is still hurt, Vieri hasn't been playing. These are his best players and biggest names and they are all struggling before the Euros. All I have to say is that it would absolutely suck if Trap took injured players to Portugal instead of Baggio.
i think it's possible too..

I see Baggio behind Del Piero, then Cassano, then Miccoli.
Trap has to chose 2 of these 4 for sure.

I can't wait for the game vs. Spain. It'll be great to see him in NT Kit again, even for one game. I do believe that playing exceptionaly well in this game might make Trap rethink excluding him.

marky

Aug 4, 2003
Well said Majed. I guess this Wednesday will provide a lot of answers. I also can't wait to see him play on the NT. I wonder how Totti will react to him being there?

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Baggio's Azzurri swansong sold out
Saturday 24 April, 2004

Tickets for Roberto Baggio’s final Azzurri appearance against Spain next Wednesday have already sold out.

Coach Giovanni Trapattoni will only name the squad for the friendly match tomorrow, but has already confirmed that Baggio will be given an international swansong.

The 35,000 tickets for the game at Genoa’s Stadio Luigi Ferraris have all been snapped up just a few days after going on sale.

The only 800 seats remaining are in the away end of the Stadium and are also set to fly out of the ticket office.

This will be Italy’s last home test before the Euro 2004 tournament in Portugal, which kicks off on June 12.

But it was chosen to give 37-year-old Baggio one final Azzurri cap after he announced his retirement at the end of this season.

The Divine Ponytail made his international debut in a 1-0 win over Holland on Nov 16 1988.

He notched up 27 goals in 55 caps, winning the Balon d'Or and FIFA World Player of the Year Award in 1993.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)

• Gian