Robbie Keane & Daniel Agger (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geof

May 14, 2004
Keane? Are we attempting to lure more british interest?
He is not British!
Damn right he's not! ;)
I think you should really sue your History teacher who obviously has only taught you your Irish history up to 1920 because Robbie is no way British in anyway shape or form

Michael Collins :beer:

Tom Barry :malt:
I think what Steph meant is that, if we'd sign Keane (God forbid), more people from the UK would follow our games.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Meath

Jan 14, 2007
Ya, James Beattie made it at Southampton, Bellamy made it at Blackburn and West Ham, why don't you go for them instead.

Keane is a decent player, but it would make no sense to sign him, as signing a player especially if its for the fee Keane would probably cost, should be made to add to the quality of the team. There's not one player on this transfer page that has made it at a Champions League club.

What can Keane add to this Juve side?

Like i said, he's an Aston Villa, Tottenham, Everton type of player.
Wow, football club snobbery! Did you never hear of signing players form smaller clubs? Diego is a Bremen player, so why go for him?
Also, Bellamy is fantastic player, you obviously don't have a clue!
What can he add? For a start he would have fought for every ball in the Udinese game when all out players strolled around as if they just had to turn up to win

Enoran

Nov 3, 2007
Keane as i see is a Seconda Punta type of player. Juve already have DP there. Such is the form of the captain, Giovinco is finding chances hard to come by let alone Keane if he joins ...

Sissoko and Iaquinta was chasing the balls relentlessly too, i doubt Keane will have made a difference if he's there. It just not Juve's day on that nite ...

Diego provide the creative spark in the middle which Juve has been sort of lacking since the French Mastreo call Zidane patrols the Delle Alpi field in a Bianconeri Jersey. The team has been making up for that by penetrating and launching attacks down the wings. So it remains to be seen if Diego is needed depending the style CR wants Juve to play ...

As good a player Keane is, he does not add much to wat the team already have, not to mention he will cost a hefty sum ...

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
In his defense, we don't really have much of a transfer budget this year. But when has Rafa ever made a huge purchase besides Torres, Mascherano, and Keane?

Xabier, Pennant, Kuyt, Babel, Riera, Agger, Aurellio, Skrtel were all bargain purchases.
The transfer budget has always been Rafa's excuse. But managers like Arsene Wenger have been forced to work with a much tighter transfer budget and have done a much better job.

Imo there's no excuse for the type of signings he regularly makes, its not of his weak spots if you ask me. Nunez, Morientes, Arbeloa, Pennant, Voronin are examples of the average signings he's made, all those players have been failures imo.

So he's a champions league standard player? :p
:shifty:

Wow, football club snobbery! Did you never hear of signing players form smaller clubs? Diego is a Bremen player, so why go for him?
What can he add? For a start he would have fought for every ball in the Udinese game when all out players strolled around as if they just had to turn up to win
This is not about signing players from smaller clubs, don't twist my words, this is about signing players who are small club type of players. Keane is one of them. If fighting for every ball is your criteria for playing for Juve, then i suggest you guys go for Kevin Nolan, i guarantee you he'd fight for every ball.

Jul 15, 2006
The transfer budget has always been Rafa's excuse. But managers like Arsene Wenger have been forced to work with a much tighter transfer budget and have done a much better job.
He did well at Valencia, but hasn't had the domestic success as he would have liked.

Imo there's no excuse for the type of signings he regularly makes, its not of his weak spots if you ask me. Nunez, Morientes, Arbeloa, Pennant, Voronin are examples of the average signings he's made, all those players have been failures imo.
Completely agree. Josemi, Mark Gonzales, Itanje, Barragan, Paletta, etc..

This is not about signing players from smaller clubs, don't twist my words, this is about signing players who are small club type of players. Keane is one of them. If fighting for every ball is your criteria for playing for Juve, then i suggest you guys go for Kevin Nolan, i guarantee you he'd fight for every ball.
Juve have to be going for better 'class' players other-wise our amibitions wouldn't be matched..

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
Hahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahah :lol:

This must be a post of the month :lol:

Jim_Boi

Oct 7, 2007
Hahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahah :lol:

This must be a post of the month :lol:
he must be on meth

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
I do not think Keane would be a good signing at all. Bellamy was great for the Blackburn's, Newcastle's and West Ham's of the world, but he too is just a uefa cup team player at best. Thats what i think Keane is.

You can't just throw all the blame on Rafa, he gave him an extended period of matches as a striker when Torres was out injured, and he failed to impress. I was never really his biggest fan, and i've always believed Berbatov made him look better than he really was.
I'm pretty sure Keane's a better player than Bellamy. I'm not certain he'd be a big hit at a big club, but he's never gotten a fair run at it.

I can completely throw the blame at Rafa. Anyone who's ever watched Keane play knows that he plays well with a big striker who'll give him the ball. Read Niall Quinn, Mido, Berbatov. What does Rafa do? He plays him as a lone striker, or as a secunda punta, or on the wing. Benitez didn't want the player. He doesn't have a clue how to get the best out of him.

Keane? Are we attempting to lure more british interest?
Careful who you call British. :p

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
I can completely throw the blame at Rafa. Anyone who's ever watched Keane play knows that he plays well with a big striker who'll give him the ball. Read Niall Quinn, Mido, Berbatov. What does Rafa do? He plays him as a lone striker, or as a secunda punta, or on the wing. Benitez didn't want the player. He doesn't have a clue how to get the best out of him.
That's the most sense anyone has made in the this thread.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I'm pretty sure Keane's a better player than Bellamy. I'm not certain he'd be a big hit at a big club, but he's never gotten a fair run at it.

Careful who you call British. :p

Keane is a better player than Bellamy, i didn't say he wasn't. I brought up the Bellamy example, to show how players who excel in small clubs do not neccesarily cut it at the top teams.

Rafa has been rotating and changing tactics since he came to Liverpool, but beggning from the second half of last season, he finnaly found a tactical setup that suited Gerrard, suited the team and allowed Rafa to field Gerrard, Alonso and Masch all together, that formation was the 4-4-1-1.

Imo the reason Liverpool are doing better this year, is because Rafa finally found a formation that suited the team, and he stopped rotating it. So do you want him to change it, just because it doesn't suit Robbie Keane?

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Imo the reason Liverpool are doing better this year, is because Rafa finally found a formation that suited the team, and he stopped rotating it. So do you want him to change it, just because it doesn't suit Robbie Keane?
They had a good start but they're falling away fast now. Most EPL fans think they'll finish third or fourth come the end of the season. Benitez is under enormous pressure and may well walk soon.

You're right though, the best formation for the team isn't necessarily the best one for Keane. Thing is, if you're going to play that formation, why buy a player who doesn't fit it? And if you keep drawing 0-0 with shit teams like Wigan, maybe your problem is something to do with not setting up your team to suit your strikers. I read an opinion piece a while back that suggested Benitez would have been happier if Gerrard had gone to Chelsea a couple of years ago. He's had to spend years finding the right role for the guy, and now it's left him with a toothless team.

However, the formation isn't everything. Even when he's gone with two strikers, he's generally played one of them deep for no good reason. Kuijt's been hopeless for them this year, but Benitez has been incredibly loyal to him. How frustrating must it be to be subbed all the time even when your strike partner is playing worse than you? It certainly pissed off Del Piero when it was happening to him.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
They had a good start but they're falling away fast now. Most EPL fans think they'll finish third or fourth come the end of the season. Benitez is under enormous pressure and may well walk soon.

You're right though, the best formation for the team isn't necessarily the best one for Keane. Thing is, if you're going to play that formation, why buy a player who doesn't fit it? And if you keep drawing 0-0 with shit teams like Wigan, maybe your problem is something to do with not setting up your team to suit your strikers. I read an opinion piece a while back that suggested Benitez would have been happier if Gerrard had gone to Chelsea a couple of years ago. He's had to spend years finding the right role for the guy, and now it's left him with a toothless team.

That is an interesting point, because the biggest reason they use the 4-4-1-1 is because it suits Gerrard very much. But when Gerrard was out injured they did go with an orthodox 4-4-2 a couple of times, they had Kuyt and Keane upfront a few times i remember, and still Keane didn't do too well.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Agreed. See my edit to the last post. I think he'd come good given a bit of time and trust. Berbatov had an equally slow start at Man Utd, but Ferguson's persisted with him and he's repaying him now with some good performances.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
First, it was always obvious Berbatov was a special player, the guy's technique is unquestionable, and he is one of the top frontmen in the EPL if you ask me.

Second, i disagree about Kuyt, i think he has been consistent for Liverpool this season, he's having a fairly good season imo, scoring decisve goals and working his arse off for the team. He isn't a prolific player, but he's useful to have on the team nonetheless.

For me, Keane is a good player, but he's not particularly special at anything. He's fast, decent technically and is a rather good finisher. I firmly believe he isn't good enough to be playing for one of the big four.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)