Repurcusions for Roma (5 Viewers)

OP
Valley

Valley

Apr 20, 2004
  • Thread Starter #81
    Xziz, I agree with you. I personally have some respect for the fans, and the club, AC Milan. They have achieved over the years and it is a healthy rivalry. However, Roma fans just take it completely out of hand. Not only is their club pure crap but they have a foolish management who jivvy up the fans to hate Juve. As far as I'm concerned the best rivalry we have is with Milan, because beating them actually means something. I just want to beat Roma because I hate their fans and they need to get a grip on reality, that they are not a big club, they are a crap club and they have no business with Juve!

Buy on AliExpress.com

xziz

Aug 30, 2004
    Valley, right now the tam-tam in the Romanist media is about how they are victim of the gesture of one single crazy person.

Also they go on and on repeating that that was nothing and others have done worse.

xziz

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    True. I wonder though how Roma would react if Uefa decides to throw them out or even give them 5-0. Both solutions would forge the competition IMO and I doubt they can just do that because that would mean Roma would miss out on a lot of money and I think Roma would take it to court. Anyway throwing out Roma would be a disgrace, because they would forge the competition and it's ridiculous to hold a club responsable for EVERY fan. The guy threw a coin FFS. What does Roma have to do? Ban coins?

K10

Jul 12, 2002
    Exactly Seven, I don't think it's Roma's fault and I don't think it is something they could have done something about.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Twice? How about three times in the past 6 months? First, the Roma derby on March 21, which had to be rescheduled to Palermo on April 21. Then the travelling Romanista fans at Milan on May 2, which forced Roma's home game against Perugia to be played in Palermo again on May 9.

Certainly a few lousy fans can ruin it for everybody, and normally I wouldn't fault the club for the actions of a few jerks. But after enough repeat performances in so short a time span, Roma has to be held accountable for at least maintaining some level of order. Three times like that is a joke.

OP
    Valley

Valley

Apr 20, 2004
  • Thread Starter #88
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/3661010.stm

Dynamo Kiev were awarded a 3-0 win over AS Roma after their Champions League tie was halted when the referee was hit by an object thrown from the crowd.
    Uefa has also ordered Roma to play their next two European games behind closed doors as further punishment.

Swedish referee Anders Frisk left the pitch with blood pouring from his head shortly after sending off Roma defender Philippe Mexes at half time.

Kiev were leading the Group B match 1-0 at the time.

Frisk had blown the half-time whistle, but rightly sent off defender Mexes for his petulant kick at Maris Verpakovskis.

His decision seemed to spark anger from the home crowd and the Swede left the pitch at half-time with blood pouring from his head.

Roma have since issued a public apology to Frisk and are now determined to track down the fan responsible for the attack.

But it is not the first time the Italian club have been in trouble.

Two years ago Roma and Turkish side Galatasaray were involved in a mass brawl involving players, officials and riot police at the end of a Champions League game in Rome.

Frisk also refereed that game.

After Roma appealed, Uefa reduced some of the punishments it handed out to the Italian club.

On that occasion, Uefa withdrew its decision to ban Roma from the Olympic stadium for one match, instead fining the Italian club £221,000.

Last season Roma and Lazio fans also clashed with police outside the Olympic Stadium after the city derby was suspended by a false rumour that a child had been killed by a police car.

----

Also: Mexes given two match CL ban.

So Roma's next CL home games will be in an empty Olimpico. The fans have had their last taste of European football at home for quite a few years :D

All in all, they got off lightly. Hopefully the fools will realise this and not appeal.

xziz

Aug 30, 2004
    from Eurosport:
    http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/V4/L0/S22/E6885/sport_Lng0_Spo22_Evt6885_Sto640771.shtml

Dynamo Kiev were awarded a 3-0 win over AS Roma on Tuesday after their Champions League match was abandoned when the referee was hit by an object thrown from the crowd in Rome. The Italian side will have to play their next two Group B games - against Leverkusen and Real Madrid - behind closed doors.

Eriksson denies Real links
    WENGER: Champions League must not be an obsession, but...

UEFA's disciplinary committee acted after Swedish referee Anders Frisk was injured at the Olympic Stadium at halftime of last Wednesday's game, shortly after sending off Roma defender Philippe Mexes.

Kiev were leading the Group B match 1-0 at the time.

France's Mexes has been suspended for two matches "for particularly unsporting conduct", UEFA said.

"In taking the decision the Control and Disciplinary Body took into account the seriousness of the nature of the incident, in which the referee Anders Frisk was injured and therefore led him to abandon the match," the UEFA statement said.

Roma can appeal against the decision before Friday midnight CET.

'NORMAL PRACTICE'

Tuesday's decision will satisfy the Ukrainian side who had demanded they be handed victory after the incident.

"To be honest we were expecting it," Dynamo spokesman Serhiy Polkhovsky said. "It's a justified decision which will be to the benefit of the sport."

A month ago, Israeli side Maccabi Tel-Aviv were awarded a 3-0 win over PAOK after the Greek club fielded a suspended player in a Champions League third round qualifier.

In 2001, Paris St Germain were given a 3-0 win at Rapid Bucharest after their UEFA Cup tie had to be abandoned following a floodlight failure.

xziz

Aug 30, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
    Twice? How about three times in the past 6 months? First, the Roma derby on March 21, which had to be rescheduled to Palermo on April 21. Then the travelling Romanista fans at Milan on May 2, which forced Roma's home game against Perugia to be played in Palermo again on May 9.

Certainly a few lousy fans can ruin it for everybody, and normally I wouldn't fault the club for the actions of a few jerks. But after enough repeat performances in so short a time span, Roma has to be held accountable for at least maintaining some level of order. Three times like that is a joke.

Damn right swag. Uefa missed their chance to tell violent people "STOP!"

I am sure we will see Roma fans again in the headlines for their violent behavior.

I cannot believe they are letting them get away so easy with it.

Anyway, I can tell you that Roma does not have a future in CL. Their team is at the end of the line, just like Real Madrid. I think we may have a surprise in this group with Bayer and Kiev qualifying over Real and Roma.

xziz :devil:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Jeannette ] ++
    The punishment is much to small...
    If a fan of Juventus threw a coin at a ref. ONE coin. ONE fan out of 30 000. How would you react if Uefa decided to throw out Juventus? You can argue about whether or not the punishment is harsh, but you can't say it's too small.

xziz

Aug 30, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Seven ] ++

If a fan of Juventus threw a coin at a ref. ONE coin. ONE fan out of 30 000. How would you react if Uefa decided to throw out Juventus? You can argue about whether or not the punishment is harsh, but you can't say it's too small.
    Seven have you seen the video of the accident? There were hundreds if not thousend of Roma fans trowing any sort of objects at the referees.

Plus there were thousend of Roma fans chanting "YOU MUST DIE" at the referee especially after he was hit.

It is not true that one single crazy person was responsible for what happened. Many were. I know this was the main line of defense of ASRoma but it simple is not true.

It is like if you would say that when a mob attack somebody, it only is responsible the individual within the mob who actually hit (or hit first) the target. If I try to shoot you, and I get you I am attempting to kill you, if I try to shoot you and I miss you I am still trying to kill you.

xziz :eek:

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    The punishment is much to small...

Don't forget that they'll also be hurt financially because they won't be receiving any revenue from the ticket sales for the next two CL home games. (those would usually be sellouts)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by xziz ] ++

Seven have you seen the video of the accident? There were hundreds if not thousend of Roma fans trowing any sort of objects at the referees.

Plus there were thousend of Roma fans chanting "YOU MUST DIE" at the referee especially after he was hit.

It is not true that one single crazy person was responsible for what happened. Many were. I know this was the main line of defense of ASRoma but it simple is not true.

It is like if you would say that when a mob attack somebody, it only is responsible the individual within the mob who actually hit (or hit first) the target. If I try to shoot you, and I get you I am attempting to kill you, if I try to shoot you and I miss you I am still trying to kill you.

xziz :eek:
    I did see the video yes, but it looked nowhere near as spectacular as you describe it. Perhaps I saw it from another angle.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    I do not forget, but it's too small anyway.
    Alright then. Imagine Uefa threw AS Roma out of the competition. What would Roma do? Obviously they would take it to court because they lost out on a lot of money that was rightfully theirs. Roma would claim the competition is forged because now all three teams will eventually play European football, not to mention how they would say Uefa had saved it's precious Real Madrid. It's ridiculous to expect AS Roma would be banned...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)