Ramadan Kareem!! (7 Viewers)

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
Excuse my ignorance, but can someone give me a quick run down of what goes on during RAMADAN? I get that there is the fasting part, but when do you eat, is there set times?
Yes there is set times, you fast from the sunrise until the sunset, you can't drink nor eat anything. In Ramdan also there is special type of prayers and also it's a month of forgivness and approachnig to our god.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
Excuse my ignorance, but can someone give me a quick run down of what goes on during RAMADAN? I get that there is the fasting part, but when do you eat, is there set times?
Muslims all around the world will abstain from food and drink, through fasting, from dawn to sunset. At sunset, the family will gather the fast-breaking meal known as Iftar. The meal starts with the eating of a date — just as Prophet Muhammad used to do. Then it's time for the Maghrib prayer, which is the fourth of the five daily prayers, after which the main meal is served. [13]

Over time, Iftar has grown into banquet festivals. This is a time of fellowship with families, friends and surrounding communities, but may also occupy larger spaces at mosques or banquet halls, where a hundred or more may gather at a time.[14]

Most markets close down during evening prayers and the Iftar meal, but then re-open and stay open for a good part of the night. Muslims can be seen shopping, eating, spending time with their friends and family during the evening hours. In many Muslim countries, this can last late into the evening, to early morning. However, if they try to attend to business as usual, it can become a time of personal trials, fasting without coffee or water.

more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramadan#Fasting

Fint

Aug 13, 2010
Yes there is set times, you fast from the sunrise until the sunset, you can't drink nor eat anything. In Ramdan also there is special type of prayers and also it's a month of forgivness and approachnig to our god.
Muslims all around the world will abstain from food and drink, through fasting, from dawn to sunset. At sunset, the family will gather the fast-breaking meal known as Iftar. The meal starts with the eating of a date — just as Prophet Muhammad used to do. Then it's time for the Maghrib prayer, which is the fourth of the five daily prayers, after which the main meal is served. [13]

Over time, Iftar has grown into banquet festivals. This is a time of fellowship with families, friends and surrounding communities, but may also occupy larger spaces at mosques or banquet halls, where a hundred or more may gather at a time.[14]

Most markets close down during evening prayers and the Iftar meal, but then re-open and stay open for a good part of the night. Muslims can be seen shopping, eating, spending time with their friends and family during the evening hours. In many Muslim countries, this can last late into the evening, to early morning. However, if they try to attend to business as usual, it can become a time of personal trials, fasting without coffee or water.

more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramadan#Fasting
Thanks guys :tup: sounds tough (the not eating part that is). I like the sound of the banquet festivals btw :D

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
Thanks guys :tup: sounds tough (the not eating part that is). I like the sound of the banquet festivals btw :D
the eating part is actually the easiest for me :D its the not drinking part specially when i go over to hot hot saudi to visit my parents its brutal. smoking and coffee is a huge headache for other people too. with that said its a pretty great month spirtually and people tend to be nicer compared to other times of the year :D every one is helpful, u go out and meet friends, u get together with family members, prayers are great, etc

also u would find that each country has its unique way in celebrating the holy month, from morocco all the way to pakistan every nation has its way of celebrating the month in a very unique way ( its mainly aimed for the children to get them interested in knowing more about ramadan and to act as some form of motivation for the young ones to practise fasting although growing up until the age of 13 i never fasted the complete hours but we had a mini fast if u like to get us prepared for the real thing once we reached the age to fast)

Fint

Aug 13, 2010
Oh man, come to think of it that must be really difficult not being able to drink considering the temperatures you're dealing with.

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
the eating part is actually the easiest for me :D its the not drinking part specially when i go over to hot hot saudi to visit my parents its brutal. smoking and coffee is a huge headache for other people too. with that said its a pretty great month spirtually and people tend to be nicer compared to other times of the year :D every one is helpful, u go out and meet friends, u get together with family members, prayers are great, etc

also u would find that each country has its unique way in celebrating the holy month, from morocco all the way to pakistan every nation has its way of celebrating the month in a very unique way ( its mainly aimed for the children to get them interested in knowing more about ramadan and to act as some form of motivation for the young ones to practise fasting although growing up until the age of 13 i never fasted the complete hours but we had a mini fast if u like to get us prepared for the real thing once we reached the age to fast)
:tup: I love Ramadan.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
Oh man, come to think of it that must be really difficult not being able to drink considering the temperatures you're dealing with.
oh yes the sun here is pretty brutal :D:D:D people who work how ever as mondolon mentioned just like kuwait get shorter working hours during ramadan bec its quite brutal in this heat to be with out water as the average temp on a good day reaches a good 45 deg C :D

Fint

Aug 13, 2010
oh yes the sun here is pretty brutal :D:D:D people who work how ever as mondolon mentioned just like kuwait get shorter working hours during ramadan bec its quite brutal in this heat to be with out water as the average temp on a good day reaches a good 45 deg C :D
I'd quite happily swap you the Irish weather for the month :D

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Did anyone of you Muslims here ever cheated during Ramadan? :D
That's the whole point, dude. People's lives are too boring and "meaningless" without some "purpose" "out there", so you introduce an artificial rule that actually serves no purpose at all, but only as a psychological gimmick.

See now, imagine how much more exciting it is to eat when it's "forbidden". :weee:

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
That's the whole point, dude. People's lives are too boring and "meaningless" without some "purpose" "out there", so you introduce an artificial rule that actually serves no purpose at all, but only as a psychological gimmick.

See now, imagine how much more exciting it is to eat when it's "forbidden". :weee:
I know, that's why most of the non-Muslims find it meaningless.

But a serious question, is there some kind of penitence if a Muslim is caught eating\drinking\etc. during the day in Ramadan?

Gamaro

The Arabian Knight
Aug 6, 2007

The "artificial" rule was introduced thousands of years before Islam.

I know, that's why most of the non-Muslims find it meaningless.

But a serious question, is there some kind of penitence if a Muslim is caught eating\drinking\etc. during the day in Ramadan?
How come most of the non-muslims find fasting meaningless if most of the non-Muslims do fast:shifty:?!!!!!

In fact,amongst all the non-Muslims,only Atheists do not fast. I really don't know why some people link fasting only to Islam when fasting exists almost in all the religions.:boh:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
So what? It's still an artificial rule, whenever it was invented.

How come most of the non-muslims find fasting meaningless if most of the non-Muslims do fast:shifty:?!!!!!

In fact,amongst all the non-Muslims,only Atheists do not fast. I really don't know why some people link fasting only to Islam when fasting exists almost in all the religions.:boh:
What are you talking about? I have met one person in my whole life who fasted who wasn't a Muslim. And that's not because everyone I know is an atheist.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009

In fact,amongst all the non-Muslims,only Atheists do not fast. I really don't know why some people link fasting only to Islam when fasting exists in almost all the religions.
I'm not an expert in religions, Gamaro.

I just find it meaningless for a person who abstains from eating or drinking as a religious observance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)