Ramadan Kareem!! (11 Viewers)

Juve_fanatic

Second coolest member!
Apr 5, 2006
Yeah, that's what I meant, his post seems weird this way. Perhaps he made a mistake or perhaps he means that the fasting of muslims in particular is bad for you.
Yup, that is what i meant!

When I first read it, I thought he meant that fasting is good for your health but the fasting of Muslims is not.

What about you Salman? Why do you fast?
Fasting for one day is very good for your body. By fasting all day i mean not eating anything, only drink water. Now it depends on the type of person you are whether you will eat all the greesy stuff after that one day. If you are the type of person that fasts for the sake of his health then i seriously doubt that you will do that after those 24 hours. When you dont eat anything for 24 hours and only drink water, the water cleans your body from all the bad stuff that has been gathering in your organism cause water serves as a purifier to the body. That is what i meant. Us christians also have the 40 days fast but that is optional, it depends whether a person can handle that or not. But of course its not a fast where you mustnt eat anything at all. I hope that i clearified what i meant with my previous post..

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Sorry to but in on this thread but i was speaking to a muslim i work with from Sri Lanka and he said to me that he has always been taught that Ramadan is a time of reflection traditionally (alongside the faith aspects) where you are meant to experience the life of those poorer than you who can sometimes not even get a meal day and at the end of the 'season' or 'festival' (im not sure what to call it) you give 2.5% of your wages to those who dont live a life of your privilege. So by that merit i think i am going to give Ramadan a try, not for the same religious reasons that the islamic members of this board do, but for my own personal reasons to experience and get a greater understanding of what it is like to live with no food and water. I don't know if this is offensive to muslims as a non-believer for me to do it but id still like to give it a go, as i said as a life experience not as a religious experience. Please let me know your thoughts on this and what the right things are to eat and drink for nutrition etc. etc. (Sorry if what i was told was completely wrong, it may just be something that is done in Sri Lanka or to his specific sect of Islam)

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Sorry to but in on this thread but i was speaking to a muslim i work with from Sri Lanka and he said to me that he has always been taught that Ramadan is a time of reflection traditionally (alongside the faith aspects) where you are meant to experience the life of those poorer than you who can sometimes not even get a meal day and at the end of the 'season' or 'festival' (im not sure what to call it) you give 2.5% of your wages to those who dont live a life of your privilege. So by that merit i think i am going to give Ramadan a try, not for the same religious reasons that the islamic members of this board do, but for my own personal reasons to experience and get a greater understanding of what it is like to live with no food and water. I don't know if this is offensive to muslims as a non-believer for me to do it but id still like to give it a go, as i said as a life experience not as a religious experience. Please let me know your thoughts on this and what the right things are to eat and drink for nutrition etc. etc. (Sorry if what i was told was completely wrong, it may just be something that is done in Sri Lanka or to his specific sect of Islam)
That's actually one of the fundamental reasons why you fast, he's dead on. And that day he's talking about is called "Eid" and I'm not sure about the percentage but that's also true. Other than money you also give out food; you do that throughout the month as well.

No one takes offense to non-Muslims fasting, go ahead. As for what you should eat. If you want to do it the right way then I suggest you go online find the sunrise/sunset timings for the day you're planning on fasting. Wake up 20-30 min prior to sunrise and eat a heavy meal (after the first time you'll get an idea; you'll notice whether you ate more than needed or too little) with plenty of water and then remember to break the fast (eat i.e.) as soon as the sunset occurs.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Fasting for one day is very good for your body. By fasting all day i mean not eating anything, only drink water. Now it depends on the type of person you are whether you will eat all the greesy stuff after that one day. If you are the type of person that fasts for the sake of his health then i seriously doubt that you will do that after those 24 hours. When you dont eat anything for 24 hours and only drink water, the water cleans your body from all the bad stuff that has been gathering in your organism cause water serves as a purifier to the body. That is what i meant. Us christians also have the 40 days fast but that is optional, it depends whether a person can handle that or not. But of course its not a fast where you mustnt eat anything at all. I hope that i clearified what i meant with my previous post..
I know what you mean. Muslims don't refuse eating for 24 hours though. They do it in a limited period which varies from 6-7 hours to 14-15 hours. And they also can't drink water. Fasting in Islam is not optional but those who can't afford it must not fast. They have to pay money to the poor instead.

Experiencing the lives of those who are poorer than you is supposed to be a reason for fasting in Islam. Thing is that I don't think you necessarily need to risk your health to experience that. Not drinking water for 10 hours or so in summer could endanger your health. Moreover, even the poorest people in the world can drink water.

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Experiencing the lives of those who are poorer than you is supposed to be a reason for fasting in Islam. Thing is that I don't think you necessarily need to risk your health to experience that. Not drinking water for 10 hours or so in summer could endanger your health. Moreover, even the poorest people in the world can drink water.
Well, I lived in Muslim societies all the previous thirty years and didn't find somebody that his health was hurt permanently because of fasting. People may starve but knowing it is for a spiritual goal, this starving converts to become something nice. Believe me. When you feel you do this to be nearer to your God, that will be reflected by a much comfortable mood.

And finally, those who can't fast because they feel ill, they are motivated in Islam not to fast, because in the end this religion is all about purifying the soul, not detroying the health.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Well, I lived in Muslim societies all the previous thirty years and didn't find somebody that his health was hurt permanently because of fasting. People may starve but knowing it is for a spiritual goal, this starving converts to become something nice. Believe me. When you feel you do this to be nearer to your God, that will be reflected by a much comfortable mood.

And finally, those who can't fast because they feel ill, they are motivated in Islam not to fast, because in the end this religion is all about purifying the soul, not detroying the health.
If science had in fact proven that fasting was good for you, a lot of people would be fasting. I know the kind of feeling you get if you're hungry. It's a defense mechanism of the body. It feels like purification, but it's not. The theory behind it all is about as correct as bloodletting.

Fasting is bad for you, particularly because you're confusing your body. You don't eat all day and then you eat all you can eat at night, at times you're not really expected to eat. It is not a coincidence that some muslims end up being fatter after the Ramadan. I do think it's unlikely that you'll be doing any permanent damage though.

The spiritual point, as in experiencing the life of others, is a better one. But I think there are other ways to achieve the same goal.

A practical question: is it okay for footballers to drink water during the day? I know a lot of muslim football players in Antwerpen and most of them do drink water.

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
If science had in fact proven that fasting was good for you, a lot of people would be fasting. I know the kind of feeling you get if you're hungry. It's a defense mechanism of the body. It feels like purification, but it's not. The theory behind it all is about as correct as bloodletting.

Fasting is bad for you, particularly because you're confusing your body. You don't eat all day and then you eat all you can eat at night, at times you're not really expected to eat. It is not a coincidence that some muslims end up being fatter after the Ramadan. I do think it's unlikely that you'll be doing any permanent damage though.

The spiritual point, as in experiencing the life of others, is a better one. But I think there are other ways to achieve the same goal.

A practical question: is it okay for footballers to drink water during the day? I know a lot of muslim football players in Antwerpen and most of them do drink water.
If they drink water during the day, they are not fasting then.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
I never fast when I'm in Romania because simply I live alone there. But when I'm here in Lebanon (although I don't believe in Ramadan) not to mention that 50% of our people don't fast because they're not Muslim yet I fast here because I don't like eating while others are fasting even though I don't agree with them, but I just can't accept myself enjoying the food and eating while others looking at me and waiting for their time to come and eat.

I turn into one of them just not to make myself feel bad.

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
The performance of the few who don't drink water does go down dramatically I have to say.
Most of the battles which took place between Muslims and Non-believers when Prophet Mohammad was living, these battles took place during Ramadan like Badr Battle and Mecca Liberation. History tells us that Muslims won these battles although fighters were fasting.

I hope you got my point.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Most of the battles which took place between Muslims and Non-believers when Prophet Mohammad was living, these battles took place during Ramadan like Badr Battle and Mecca Liberation. History tells us that Muslims won these battles although fighters were fasting.

I hope you got my point.
Which point? Surely fasting is not the only factor in a battle. If they were fasting to begin with. Because how on earth are you going to prove that?

Every decent research tells you athletes need to eat. I see great football players playing poorly when they fast. But your argument is that 1500 fucking years ago someone said they won a battle because they were fasting, which is not established as fact.

Well done, ReBeL.

And it gets better than football. Let's see how well a marathon runner does if he doesn't eat. Let's see for how long Armstrong can ride his bicycle without having eaten. Man, I BET their performance goes up like you say.

(Armstrong would end up in a hospital by the way)

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Which point? Surely fasting is not the only factor in a battle. If they were fasting to begin with. Because how on earth are you going to prove that?

Every decent research tells you athletes need to eat. I see great football players playing poorly when they fast. But your argument is that 1500 fucking years ago someone said they won a battle because they were fasting, which is not established as fact.

Well done, ReBeL.
My point is that if somebody does something while he is convinced it is correct and it makes his a better person, that will be reflected on his character and his performance positively.

Whether it was the only factor or not during the battles, I didn't claim that it was.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
My point is that if somebody does something while he is convinced it is correct and it makes his a better person, that will be reflected on his character and his performance positively.

Whether it was the only factor or not during the battles, I didn't claim that it was.
Lance Armstrong could not finish a single stage of the Tour de France while fasting.

So where is this boost in performance?

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Lance Armstrong could not finish a single stage of the Tour de France while fasting.

So where is this boost in performance?
Lance Armstrong: "At the end of the day, if there was indeed some Body or presence standing there to judge me, I hoped I would be judged on whether I had lived a true life, not on whether I believed in a certain book, or whether I'd been baptized. If there was indeed a God at the end of my days, I hoped he didn't say, 'But you were never a Christian, so you're going the other way from heaven.' If so, I was going to reply, 'You know what? You're right. Fine."

Are these the words of a Muslim guy?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Lance Armstrong: "At the end of the day, if there was indeed some Body or presence standing there to judge me, I hoped I would be judged on whether I had lived a true life, not on whether I believed in a certain book, or whether I'd been baptized. If there was indeed a God at the end of my days, I hoped he didn't say, 'But you were never a Christian, so you're going the other way from heaven.' If so, I was going to reply, 'You know what? You're right. Fine."

Are these the words of a Muslim guy?
This was not the point, but honestly, you think it doesn't make sense?

Anyway, if a muslim has to ride the Tour de France and if it's Ramadan, he would not finish the Tour. He WOULD end up in hospital.

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
This was not the point, but honestly, you think it doesn't make sense?

Anyway, if a muslim has to ride the Tour de France and if it's Ramadan, he would not finish the Tour. He WOULD end up in hospital.
Islam doesn't tell people to do harmful things for their lives. If he feels he won't be capable to achieve what he wants because of fasting, and if the thing he will do is so convincing that can't wait after Ramadan ends, then he may do whatever he finds suitable but he has to justify one day to God why he thought Tour De France is better than Heaven.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)