pronouncing players names.. (1 Viewer)

Meow

Jun 8, 2003
Nope.

Actually I told other guys and gals WHERE I work in another thread...not too long ago,,,

I'm off for a game of tennis now...see u tonight

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Meow ] ++
I'm still not sure how to say Legro's name though...

I followed Martin's info but the resulting sounds are funny for me....Probably that's typical for a Chinese who knows nothing about the Italian language...
:LOL: ok, so it's not only me :cool: and yeah, i think you're right about the typical chinese who know nothing about Italian thing :LOL:

but anyway, just read his last exlpanation. The one with the "jerk" thingy. I diddn't understand too until he wrote that, then i finally got it....... i think..... :D

Meow

Jun 8, 2003
The problem is I feel that long [ee] and the e in "jerk" are totally 2 different vowels....does it mean Legro's name should be pronounced as:

le-gro-ta-lee-er (minus that retroflex r sound)

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
The problem is I feel that long [ee] and the e in "jerk" are totally 2 different vowels....does it mean Legro's name should be pronounced as:

well, if you ask me, yes. But also minusing a huge gap betwen your lee and the er.

:LOL: if i am picturing this right in my mind you're saying some thing like Legrotalee...............er because you and i are not sure of the last bit so we tend to think while pronounce it so it becomes really weird.

So it's like there's a different sound between lee and er but don't drag the gap between them.

Do you get what i mean???

OP
Gandalf

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
  • Thread Starter #48
    ok.. what about montella.. I heard that "double L" is pronounced as y.. montella= monteyya..???

are there any portugease here..? I heard some comentators pronounce luis figo =luish vego.. and nuno gomez = nuno gomesh..?

Meow

Jun 8, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Sunshine ] ++

well, if you ask me, yes. But also minusing a huge gap betwen your lee and the er.

:LOL: if i am picturing this right in my mind you're saying some thing like Legrotalee...............er because you and i are not sure of the last bit so we tend to think while pronounce it so it becomes really weird.

So it's like there's a different sound between lee and er but don't drag the gap between them.

Do you get what i mean???
    Yes! I understand everything now.

LEGRO from now on.:D

Martin

Dec 31, 2000

YES!

++ [ originally posted by Al Harbi ] ++
    ok.. what about montella.. I heard that "double L" is pronounced as y.. montella= monteyya..???
    NO!! :D

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    :confused: I've never heard this before, except maybe in spain, where i hear clubs pronounced as "Viyyareal, Seviyya, Mayyorca"

are there any portugease here..? I heard some comentators pronounce luis figo =luish vego.. and nuno gomez = nuno gomesh..?
    The pronouncing 's' as 'sh' is common, but I'm not too sure about vego :confused:

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003

the double ll pronouced as a y is a sound only made in spanish, ive never seen that in italian and it is montella, the double l just gives it a harder l sound but never the y

the spanish from spain will say luish, gomesh, etc because making a "sh" sound when pronouncing s is a very particular thing people from spain do. but figo's name would be luis and a correct form to pronounce his last name would be vego. hope that helped

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

:confused: I've never heard this before, except maybe in spain, where i hear clubs pronounced as "Viyy areal, Seviyy a, Mayy orca"
    some spanish people (from spain) do that sound, and argentinians/chilenians (?) too, but the correct way to pronounce it would be:
    villareal: viyareal
    sevilla: seviya
    mallorca: mayorca

in spanish the double l sound is like a y

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    NO! Montella is just Montella

Luis Figo = Lou-ees Fee-gou

Nuño Gomez = Nun-yo Go-medz (not sure about the dz sound though :undecide: )

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    BOUDEWIJN Zenden

Bau-deh-wyne

Emphasis on first syllable.

PS - the au sound is pronouced like in the name Bauer. Does anyone here watch the hit-series 24? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)