pronouncing players names.. (1 Viewer)

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
hence english is my second language, and I barely know any other language..I would like to know the right pronounciation of some players' names..

legrotaglie, do you pronounce the 2nd g..?

zalayeta.. I heard some people call him zalajeta..with strong J ..?

and there are more players.. can't remember now..!!

Buy on AliExpress.com

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
That reminds me of a few commentating gaffs. Like when Eamonn Dunphy called Emmanuel Petit "Pet it", or when Didier Dechamps had to pronounce his name for reporters - they kept pronouncing the 'p' at the end!

gray

Apr 22, 2003
There's already been a thread for this :p But oh well, i guess there's time to discuss new players...

I don't pronounce the second 'g' in Legro, and i've never heard Zalajeta before...

okay, how about

Samuel Eto'o... is the last 'o' completely silent?
Boudewijn Zenden

more to come...

AnnA

May 14, 2003
We dont have problems with language or with names here in Croatia.
You write anything so how you read it!

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
the second g in legrottaglie you dont pronounce it because in italian the gl sound is like a softer l i dont know if im expressing myself correctly
and zalayeta you pronouce it using the same y sound like when you say yes or maybe when you say "jay" that j sound can also work

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
I've heard people pronounce the last part of his name as Legrotalia and some as Legrotaleee

what is the correct way of pronouncing the last part of his name?

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
I've never heard anyone say the R's names with a 'H'. On the other hand, I've never listened to a Portugese or Brazilian commentator.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
The best way is no listen to/ask someone from that country.
I was surprised many times, when I've heard players names.
The most, when Luis Figo and Nuno Gomes introduced themselves in some sport news

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Well if you listen to Rai during games, you get an idea of how Italians like to pronounce them, both for good (Italian names) and less good (foreign names, eg. Birof :D)

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
Well if you listen to Rai during games, you get an idea of how Italians like to pronounce them, both for good (Italian names) and less good (foreign names, eg. Birof :D)
I know that, that's why I would listen to Germans in Birhoff matter ;)

From that country I meant: country where some player comes from :)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Well I don't get much Portuguese radio/tv to learn Nuno Gomes and Ronaldinho but then I don't really care all that much ;)

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
Well, but you've got other players, whose names you would like to spell correctly ;)
Nuno was just an example, how proper pronunciation is different to what we are used to.

Ivy

Jul 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++

Legrotalee-e, hard to explain :D
:LOL: yeah, i don't know how to prounce a hyphen - :D

and Vit, what about Figo's name???? I've not hraed this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)