pronouncing players names.. (2 Viewers)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Dhaliwich ] ++
Does anyone know how darko Kovacevich's name is pronounced?

I, for some reason, keep calling im Ko-va-tje-vitsj.
But some of my friends think it's Ko-va-see-vitsj.
I just call him Ko-va-che-vitch(roughly)

And what about Pessotto? Do you say. Piss-otto, like in pissoff, but with the two f's offcourse.
I pronounce the 'e' in Pessotto the same way most people pronounce the second 'u' in Juventus, sort of like a flat 'u' sound. Hopefully it's assumed that the accent's on 'Pe'

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
I just call him Ko-va-che-vitch(roughly)
Sounds good man :)

I pronounce the 'e' in Pessotto the same way most people pronounce the second 'u' in Juventus, sort of like a flat 'u' sound. Hopefully it's assumed that the accent's on 'Pe'
And now you're just weird :D:p

It's Pe'ssotto btw ;)

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++
Really? So z = s in Nuño's name? Didn't know that, thanks Fabi!
actually, it should be pronounced "dz" because it ends in z and there should be a z sound made. but everyone omits it so it would be nuño gomes :)

i think the way youre explaining yourself, gray, is the correct way to pronounce the "e" in pessotto

and miccolis name is kinda hard, you have to make the harder accent of the word in the first "i" so it'd be meecole

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
PS - the au sound is pronouced like in the name Bauer. Does anyone here watch the hit-series 24? :D
I DO!! and some time ago I was looking desperately for someone, who can tell me more about that.
I've heard, that there are new episodes, sth like another event in 24 hours.
But I'm dying to know, what will happen in these episodes from 1 season.

Can you visit thread about TV series in movies forum and tell me about that please? :)

Luis Figo = Lou-ees Fee-gou
I've heard when Luis Figo introduced himself, and right about his surname, but his name sounded: Luish, with sh in the end.
They always say sh , instead of s , when some name is ended with s , and before s is vowel.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by fabiana-juve ] ++
actually, it should be pronounced "dz" because it ends in z and there should be a z sound made. but everyone omits it so it would be nuño gomes :)
But his name is written as Gomes, s in the end, not z.
So the pronunciation is with sh in the end.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
I'd love to hear you guys talk cause you have the weirdest ways of explaining your pronounciation :D
Oh cmooon it's not easy...

It's especially difficult since we all have different accents, and though our ideas on how to pronounce the names might be similar, they're all dictated to a certain extent by our individual accents, and being an Aussie hardly helps people understand what u're trying to say :down::angel:

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by vitoria_Ally ] ++

But his name is written as Gomes, s in the end, not z.
So the pronunciation is with sh in the end.
a spaniard would pronounce it that way but not everyone, plus the sh sound isnt as hard... itd be gomes still...
the sh in s sound is commonly used by people that live in spain but not everyone there, plus it isnt as hard: i mean they wont always say the sh sound

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by fabiana-juve ] ++

a spaniard would pronounce it that way but not everyone, plus the sh sound isnt as hard... itd be gomes still...
the sh in s sound is commonly used by people that live in spain but not everyone there, plus it isnt as hard: i mean they wont always say the sh sound
But this is Portuguese name, not Spanish. They pronounce is with sh in the end.
Besides, I said earlier I've heard both of them: Figo and Gomes, when they introduced themselves: he said "Gomesh", nothing else.

Minfana

Jul 15, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Sunshine ] ++
:confused:

somehow Legrotaglee-e

and Legrotagleee seam the same to me, even if i put a break between the ee- and the e cos in the same sound :undecide:

unless it's like Legrotaglee-a or Legrotaglee-ia ........

I know for a fact that it is Le-grot-ta-lje, if you know what I mean. Heavy double-T; wide E like when you say "heavy"; wide A like in "far" and J pronounced like in yes - someone already explained this. Does this make any sense to you? :D:D

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
and being an Aussie hardly helps people understand what u're trying to say :down::angel:
Hard to dispute this one.. :p:angel:;)

++ [ originally posted by Minfana ] ++
I know for a fact that it is Le-grot-ta-lje, if you know what I mean. Heavy double-T; wide E like when you say "heavy"; wide A like in "far" and J pronounced like in yes - someone already explained this. Does this make any sense to you? :D:D
That's just a much better explanation than mine! :D

Minfana

Jul 15, 2003
Thanx, Alex! I studied Italian last summer and somehow the players' names' pronounciation came up in the conversation. Besides, finnish pronounciation is quite similar to italian, so it helps. We have plenty of double consonants and vocals, too... :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)