Premier League 2022-23 (32 Viewers)

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
the question have is would banning man city kill the product though? enough rich teams in the league to pick up the pieces. and epl fans are plastic anyway. they will just pick another team to cheer for
Agree but this would still impact the credibility of the league so they'll do anything to protect their image.

Apr 12, 2004
PL chiefs aren't dumb enough to kill their product, big fine (i.e. pocket money) and small points deduction at worst incoming.
the question have is would banning man city kill the product though? enough rich teams in the league to pick up the pieces. and epl fans are plastic anyway. they will just pick another team to cheer for
Agree but this would still impact the credibility of the league so they'll do anything to protect their image.
Well, a few thoughts here.

One, remember, the EPL's TV rights are so large the last team makes more than the winner of the Serie A. So, TV Rights drive the bus. I don't think Man City are THAT large TV draw, and, two, EPL Fans aren't plastic. Some are, but just in Manchester, Man Utd supporters put their children on the season ticket waiting list the day they are born because the demand is that high. I don't think City has that type of pull. It's a diamond in the middle of a mud pit, if they went down, those fans would go to one of the other big four or so. The die-hard City fans will stay, the plastics will go to Arsenal or Liverpool or something. If they don't attend, they at least will as viewers. Attending as viewers is more important to the league than anything. The EPL would love if attendance was 7k per match day, but 40 Trillion aliens watched.

Fans buying tickets and attending is directly related to that particular club on that particular match day.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
Doubt the english game has many plastic fans to be honest. Rowdy, obnoxious and overconfident yes..but don’t think they switch loyalties between clubs. Not the local fans atleast. If anything, they’re probably the exact opposite.

True, Ramesh from Mumbai may claim being a ‘diehard City supporter’ only to jump ship when the club isn’t winning..but I highly doubt local supporters will do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Doubt the english game has many plastic fans to be honest. Rowdy, obnoxious and overconfident yes..but don’t think they switch loyalties between clubs. Not the local fans atleast. If anything, they’re probably the exact opposite.

True, Ramesh from Mumbai may claim being a ‘diehard City supporter’ only to jump ship when the club isn’t winning..but I highly doubt local supporters will do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Living in the Midlands where there is not one particularly massive team but many local clubs (unless you think Villa or Forest are massive clubs, I don't), I can say that I have seen many more Man City jerseys than ever before. There were none up until 10-15 years ago, as Man City were an irrelevant yo-yo club. Shit, I can hear my next door neighbour screaming when Man City are playing, and that fucker is about as Manc as I am. Being a big Stone Roses fan back in the day doesn't qualify you. A lad a few houses up switches between Man City and Coventry jerseys when I see him about.

So yes, it's true lots of people support their local club but you'll also find in areas where there is not a massive club, or no notable club at all, fans will naturally gravitate towards successful clubs and be "plastic fans". You'll quite often see them at local games or supporting the team but they also randomly pick a big, successful team based on any random parameter. I also noticed over the years that the majority of British Asians will follow a successful club ahead of their local one. It's mostly always Liverpool or Man Utd. And also the children of those who glory followed Liverpool and Man Utd 20-30 years ago follow on from their parents.

When I was growing up in the 90s one of my school mates supported Leeds and another Blackburn, why do you suppose that was lol? Walk around here and it's all City, United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Barcelona jerseys. All good local teams.

One thing I will say is that most don't often switch teams once that is set in stone, but there will still be a few wankers out there.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Living in the Midlands where there is not one particularly massive team but many local clubs (unless you think Villa or Forest are massive clubs, I don't), I can say that I have seen many more Man City jerseys than ever before. There were none up until 10-15 years ago, as Man City were an irrelevant yo-yo club. Shit, I can hear my next door neighbour screaming when Man City are playing, and that fucker is about as Manc as I am. Being a big Stone Roses fan back in the day doesn't qualify you. A lad a few houses up switches between Man City and Coventry jerseys when I see him about.

So yes, it's true lots of people support their local club but you'll also find in areas where there is not a massive club, or no notable club at all, fans will naturally gravitate towards successful clubs and be "plastic fans". You'll quite often see them at local games or supporting the team but they also randomly pick a big, successful team based on any random parameter. I also noticed over the years that the majority of British Asians will follow a successful club ahead of their local one. It's mostly always Liverpool or Man Utd. And also the children of those who glory followed Liverpool and Man Utd 20-30 years ago follow on from their parents.

When I was growing up in the 90s one of my school mates supported Leeds and another Blackburn, why do you suppose that was lol? Walk around here and it's all City, United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Barcelona jerseys. All good local teams.

One thing I will say is that most don't often switch teams once that is set in stone, but there will still be a few wankers out there.
When I was in London back in 2008, I happened to be there at the same time as the United V Chelsea CL final and I couldn’t believe how many plastic Manc wankers there were on the streets and in the pubs. All with Lunnun’ or Essex accents. Wankers.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
When I was in London back in 2008, I happened to be there at the same time as the United V Chelsea CL final and I couldn’t believe how many plastic Manc wankers there were on the streets and in the pubs. All with Lunnun’ or Essex accents. Wankers.
Now that is totally absurd to me, when there is so much choice in London, and how many would otherwise look down on the north.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

I think if you’re from a non football nation then you can cheer for whoever you want. If you’re from Conventry, then you’re fucking stuck mate!

On another note. Lately, I’ve seen a bunch of US pundits hating on the popularity of Wrexham since their tv show. Guys who are always talking about growing the sport in America pissed off that someone got interested in football because Mac from Paddy’s pub bought a team. Who care’s? You guys just turned out on me if worst World Cup coverage of all time.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I think if you’re from a non football nation then you can cheer for whoever you want. If you’re from Conventry, then you’re fucking stuck mate!

On another note. Lately, I’ve seen a bunch of US pundits hating on the popularity of Wrexham since their tv show. Guys who are always talking about growing the sport in America pissed off that someone got interested in football because Mac from Paddy’s pub bought a team. Who care’s? You guys just turned out on me if worst World Cup coverage of all time.
Which clowns were saying that?

Shame Wrexham had that silly error in stoppage time today, that would have been a story if they went through.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 25)