Premier League 2020-21 (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I wonder why more teams don’t park the bus against United.
My thoughts on this are that in this Covid football season you're seeing more games, in all leagues, where teams are obviously playing without fans but also regular games with squads often missing more players than in a usual season. They definitely have more of a pre-season feel to them not only because of the lack of atmosphere but the change in pace of a game that crowds can bring, so the games end up more like "trading blows", going back to more typical Premier League football where teams go at each other with less tactical pressure, less crowd pressure, it suits some teams better than others.

These things suit United because they have an attacking coach with a squad who are clearly better in the attacking areas than they are in central midfield and defence. They have fast and technical attacking players (Pogba, Bruno Fernandes, Martial, Rashford, Cavani, Greenwood, also added Amad Diallo now) who will exploit these kind of conditions. I think the lack of pressure from the OT crowd helps them. United fans are not known for getting on players' backs at OT but inevitably at a club who was used to winning every year who then had a succession of failed seasons post-SAF the players feel that pressure, when things are not going right and they hear a few moans from the crowd or the crowd goes quiet as the pressure builds it is different from these games played under exhibition conditions.

By contrast I don't think these conditions help a team like Juventus. We have experienced players used to winning big games in pressure situations, the loss of our home crowd and its closeness to the pitch is a big negative, just as it is for many other teams. We'd have teams beaten before the whistle in some games, but in these conditions it's far more of an equaliser having this home advantage removed.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
Can't take a guy seriously who broke a record for most losses in a row.
Its not as he is playing there alone..
A.Villa was never a top club and their expected place was to fight relegation and win, maybe even two further spots up the table but never to really compete.
They are currently at 10th place so I`d say they are doing a good job (It can always be better but then you need more than 1 player. Maybe a serious coach...)

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
My thoughts on this are that in this Covid football season you're seeing more games, in all leagues, where teams are obviously playing without fans but also regular games with squads often missing more players than in a usual season. They definitely have more of a pre-season feel to them not only because of the lack of atmosphere but the change in pace of a game that crowds can bring, so the games end up more like "trading blows", going back to more typical Premier League football where teams go at each other with less tactical pressure, less crowd pressure, it suits some teams better than others.

These things suit United because they have an attacking coach with a squad who are clearly better in the attacking areas than they are in central midfield and defence. They have fast and technical attacking players (Pogba, Bruno Fernandes, Martial, Rashford, Cavani, Greenwood, also added Amad Diallo now) who will exploit these kind of conditions. I think the lack of pressure from the OT crowd helps them. United fans are not known for getting on players' backs at OT but inevitably at a club who was used to winning every year who then had a succession of failed seasons post-SAF the players feel that pressure, when things are not going right and they hear a few moans from the crowd or the crowd goes quiet as the pressure builds it is different from these games played under exhibition conditions.

By contrast I don't think these conditions help a team like Juventus. We have experienced players used to winning big games in pressure situations, the loss of our home crowd and its closeness to the pitch is a big negative, just as it is for many other teams. We'd have teams beaten before the whistle in some games, but in these conditions it's far more of an equaliser having this home advantage removed.
We could play crowd noise over the loudspeaker

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
So Liverpool lost Matip to a "serious" ankle injury as well last night, in a good win at Spurs. They surely have to sign a DC now, they have only kids and Fabinho left for maybe weeks.

Harry Kane also somehow injured both ankles and will miss weeks.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
So Liverpool lost Matip to a "serious" ankle injury as well last night, in a good win at Spurs. They surely have to sign a DC now, they have only kids and Fabinho left for maybe weeks.

Harry Kane also somehow injured both ankles and will miss weeks.
Imagine they buy Bonucci; Heysel could almost be forgiven finally.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Ruben Dias has made a huge difference to Man City. They have so many clean sheets since he arrived, and he even makes John Stones look like a competent defender. Laporte came in and the same today, even if it was only Sheff Utd.

City are going to win it this season.

jukazem

Feb 10, 2007
Don't mind City wining the Premier League again, just hope Ruben Dias doesn't make an impact in CL. Imo Guardiola's City haven't had a top CB till now, could make a big difference if he's really top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)