Premier League 2018/19 (15 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Someone asked in another thread how Liverpool's analytics department works. I can't find the quote, this is a pretty good explanation.

How Liverpool Built A Potential Champion https://53eig.ht/2IHHV9c
I was asking a couple of days back, thank you. Do you know, is Micheal Edwards the typical transfer manager, who's 90% in charge of the transfers (like the ones in Italy) or if Klopp is heavily involved in the decision making as well?

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017
Someone asked in another thread how Liverpool's analytics department works. I can't find the quote, this is a pretty good explanation.

How Liverpool Built A Potential Champion https://53eig.ht/2IHHV9c
It tells us that Liverpool got very lucky with their transfers and the draw they had in the CL. I think we'd all observed that. But hey, you make your own luck and all that. Good on them.

In any other circumstances I'd be rooting for them to go on and win it. But an RM win guarantees Spurs Pot 2 next year. No hard feelings, but I'll have to root for Modric and Bales' gang here.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
It tells us that Liverpool got very lucky with their transfers and the draw they had in the CL. I think we'd all observed that. But hey, you make your own luck and all that. Good on them.

In any other circumstances I'd be rooting for them to go on and win it. But an RM win guarantees Spurs Pot 2 next year. No hard feelings, but I'll have to root for Modric and Bales' gang here.
nah, it suggests that Liverpool identify their transfer targets using recently developed football data models and that it worked out extremely well for them, at least in the attacking department

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I was asking a couple of days back, thank you. Do you know, is Micheal Edwards the typical transfer manager, who's 90% in charge of the transfers (like the ones in Italy) or if Klopp is heavily involved in the decision making as well?
It's more of a 50/50 approach from what I've read. They create a list of Klopp friendly targets throughout the season. Klopp chooses his faves, then any allowable substitution.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
It's more of a 50/50 approach from what I've read. They create a list of Klopp friendly targets throughout the season. Klopp chooses his faves, then any allowable substitution.
thanks :tup: you're not afraid Pool will burn out like Klopps Dortmund did? :p

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
thanks :tup: you're not afraid Pool will burn out like Klopps Dortmund did? :p
They could, but our owners seem to be able to back him in the transfer market more that Dortmund did. I think that played a big part in his demise in Germany. Also, I think he is learning when to turn off the pressing and that should be big going into the future.

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017
nah, it suggests that Liverpool identify their transfer targets using recently developed football data models and that it worked out extremely well for them, at least in the attacking department
No it doesn't. They don't have some new and incredible technique here that no-one else has considered. xG is hardly a big secret known only to Liverpudlians. Football is a multi-billion dollar industry. Every decent club will use every means at their disposal to identify targets and mitigate the risk of a transfer turning out bad, and that won't be identifying transfer targets just using data models. This is real-life not FM2018.

They've experienced some sound judgement and a bit of good fortune here is all.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
No it doesn't. They don't have some new and incredible technique here that no-one else has considered. xG is hardly a big secret known only to Liverpudlians. Football is a multi-billion dollar industry. Every decent club will use every means at their disposal to identify targets and mitigate the risk of a transfer turning out bad, and that won't be identifying transfer targets just using data models. This is real-life not FM2018.

They've experienced some sound judgement and a bit of good fortune here is all.
I'm not saying that they have some top secret shit, but xG and serious football data is something that has been around not that long, and as far as I know, Pool is the first big club to appoint analyst after these changes and, as you've pointed out, he's got sound judgement and good fortune. :tup:

Not sure every club out there relies on data driven decisions, change takes time and that'd mean a lot of scouts getting replaced by nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)