Premier League 2018/19 (42 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
I think that also depends on the manager we bring in. Spurs should not be finishing ahead of us, we have better players and much more financial resources; the fact that they have been finishing ahead of us is testament mostly to Pochettino's quality as a manager that is able to extract the most out of his team, but also Wenger's massive failure in the past 3 seasons.
What are you smoking Fred? :D

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I wouldn't worry about that. Half of England's first XI are Spurs players. After this summer I'm sure their confidence will be back down.
It'll be a joy to see the home of football fail yet again.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
My bad :calmark:

I honestly don't see much of a quality difference keeping in mind how much Ozil has dropped in form and productivity and Sanchez who has been Arsenal's best player for what two or three years no? is now at United. Pochettino has made a difference definitely but in terms of both team's squad I think Spurs are on level even so I think their starting 11 is more talented than Arsenal's.
I'm not sure that's a very widely held opinion. Even ex-Arsenal players (Wright, Keown etc) have been finding it hard to fit ANY Arsenal players into a combined XI.

Oh, I wouldn't worry about that. Half of England's first XI are Spurs players. After this summer I'm sure their confidence will be back down.
What are you smoking Fred? :D

- - - Updated - - -

It'll be a joy to see the home of football fail yet again.

Don't get me wrong, there is no doubt that Tottenham's players have been playing much better than Arsenal's in the past couple of years at the very least, but in my opinion that is a very different thing than who the better players are.

For example, I don't think Trippier is a better player than Bellerin, but Trippier has been playing much better than Hector has. There's a reason you won't see Europes biggest clubs interested in Trippier, but you do see teams interested in Bellerin. Another example is Ozil; he has been inconsistent at Arsenal and when you look at his performances over the past couple of years, Eriksen has been the better of the two. But again, Ozil is a top player that was a regular starter for Real Madrid, and has been a regular starter for almost ten years for one of the biggest NT's in the world. I think if you look at individual players at Arsenal and compare them to Spurs, you will find many such examples.

This is a large part of the reason I think Wenger has failed massively in the past couple of years, we have underachieved relative to the players we have. For me there is no excuse for finishing behind both Liverpool and Spurs year after year.

Also theoretically if we were to accept the widely held argument that Spurs team is at least on par if not better and more talented than Arsenals, I would assume you'd say the same about Liverpools team. Then Wenger didn't really under perform did he? He was simply the victim of having a team that was less talented than the other five in England. Also Poch's performance doesn't look as impressive, he has the better players than Arsenal and he's finishing above them, right?

The way I see it, is both Pochettino and Klopp getting the very best out of the individual players that they have and creating a synergy in their teams where the sum of their parts is greater than the whole, while Wenger has been under performing relative to the squad that he has.

OP
Azzurri7

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #29
    Don't get me wrong, there is no doubt that Tottenham's players have been playing much better than Arsenal's in the past couple of years at the very least, but in my opinion that is a very different thing than who the better players are.

For example, I don't think Trippier is a better player than Bellerin, but Trippier has been playing much better than Hector has. There's a reason you won't see Europes biggest clubs interested in Trippier, but you do see teams interested in Bellerin. Another example is Ozil; he has been inconsistent at Arsenal and when you look at his performances over the past couple of years, Eriksen has been the better of the two. But again, Ozil is a top player that was a regular starter for Real Madrid, and has been a regular starter for almost ten years for one of the biggest NT's in the world. I think if you look at individual players at Arsenal and compare them to Spurs, you will find many such examples.

This is a large part of the reason I think Wenger has failed massively in the past couple of years, we have underachieved relative to the players we have. For me there is no excuse for finishing behind both Liverpool and Spurs year after year.

Also theoretically if we were to accept the widely held argument that Spurs team is at least on par if not better and more talented than Arsenals, I would assume you'd say the same about Liverpools team. Then Wenger didn't really under perform did he? He was simply the victim of having a team that was less talented than the other five in England. Also Poch's performance doesn't look as impressive, he has the better players than Arsenal and he's finishing above them, right?

The way I see it, is both Pochettino and Klopp getting the very best out of the individual players that they have and creating a synergy in their teams where the sum of their parts is greater than the whole, while Wenger has been under performing relative to the squad that he has.
    You had to choose Trippier out of all the players? :p

As for the bold part you can have a team less talented than X or Y and yet finish above them, I could give you many example as-well; Leicester for one, Chelsea last season is another example and are less talented than City's Pep or Mourinho's United but they still won the league because they were compact and of course the coach's touch was there.

However, speaking of talent in Premier League, I honestly think that EPL lacks quality, there sure is entertainment but lacks quality. When Leicester of all teams wins the league and others have spent hundreds of millions to win the title it says something about the league.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    You had to choose Trippier out of all the players? :p

As for the bold part you can have a team less talented than X or Y and yet finish above them, I could give you many example as-well; Leicester for one, Chelsea last season is another example and are less talented than City's Pep or Mourinho's United but they still won the league because they were compact and of course the coach's touch was there.

However, speaking of talent in Premier League, I honestly think that EPL lacks quality, there sure is entertainment but lacks quality. When Leicester of all teams wins the league and others have spent hundreds of millions to win the title it says something about the league.
    Thats my point though, you can have a less talented squad of players end ahead of the more talented one, because the manager of the former was able to create a better team than the more talented squads manager was able to.

This is what I think the case with Arsenal and Tottenham is, at Arsenal top players like Ozil are inconsistent and good players like Lacazette, Xhaka(IMO he'd be a good player in a more balanced team), Koscielny, Bellerin and co look like jokers. At Tottenham lesser players look like world beaters; that is because they have a fantastic manager who has been able to create a strong team, not because they have better players because they don't.

Atletico and to a lesser extent Juve are other examples of this IMO; no way does Allegri's Juve or Simeone's Atletico have as good a squad as the likes of Bayern, Real and Barcelona(in fact I'd now even add PSG to this list). But both teams have managers who have been able to create teams who punch above their relative weight.

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017
    Thats my point though, you can have a less talented squad of players end ahead of the more talented one, because the manager of the former was able to create a better team than the more talented squads manager was able to.

This is what I think the case with Arsenal and Tottenham is, at Arsenal top players like Ozil are inconsistent and good players like Lacazette, Xhaka(IMO he'd be a good player in a more balanced team), Koscielny, Bellerin and co look like jokers. At Tottenham lesser players look like world beaters; that is because they have a fantastic manager who has been able to create a strong team, not because they have better players because they don't.

Atletico and to a lesser extent Juve are other examples of this IMO; no way does Allegri's Juve or Simeone's Atletico have as good a squad as the likes of Bayern, Real and Barcelona(in fact I'd now even add PSG to this list). But both teams have managers who have been able to create teams who punch above their relative weight.
    We could debate this all day. But as I'm a Spurs fan you already know what my default position on this will be.

What I'll say is that your definition and understanding of what makes a 'better player' is probably different to mine. If Tottenham's players are more consistent, and are winning more games over a substantial period of more than just one season, and look more like World Beaters than Arsenal's then - on an Occam's Razor take - it's plausible that the reason is quite simple. Tottenham's players are better.

Let's say for argument's sake that Ozil is a 9/10 player. But his performances are 5,6,5,4,7,5,6,9,5,4,3,6,8,3,2. And Eriksen is an 8/10 player. But his performances are 7,7,7,8,7,8,7,6,7,8,8,8,8 etc. Then I know who I'd rather have and who the better (or more useful) player is.

I'm not sure I buy into the Pochettino / Klopp were better managers (over recent years) than Wenger argument. Just as much blame (and credit) should be assigned to the players. Arsenal's just don't seem to have the right work ethic at all, and that's in their individual personalities. Juventus' players do, and that isn't all because of Allegri, a lot of it is because that's just who they are.

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011
    We could debate this all day. But as I'm a Spurs fan you already know what my default position on this will be.

What I'll say is that your definition and understanding of what makes a 'better player' is probably different to mine. If Tottenham's players are more consistent, and are winning more games over a substantial period of more than just one season, and look more like World Beaters than Arsenal's then - on an Occam's Razor take - it's plausible that the reason is quite simple. Tottenham's players are better.

Let's say for argument's sake that Ozil is a 9/10 player. But his performances are 5,6,5,4,7,5,6,9,5,4,3,6,8,3,2. And Eriksen is an 8/10 player. But his performances are 7,7,7,8,7,8,7,6,7,8,8,8,8 etc. Then I know who I'd rather have and who the better (or more useful) player is.

I'm not sure I buy into the Pochettino / Klopp were better managers (over recent years) than Wenger argument. Just as much blame (and credit) should be assigned to the players. Arsenal's just don't seem to have the right work ethic at all, and that's in their individual personalities. Juventus' players do, and that isn't all because of Allegri, a lot of it is because that's just who they are.
    I'd take Eriksen over Ozil anyday.
    Delle Ali>>>>>everything at arsenal
    Son>>>>>>>>everything at arsenal
    would only take ramsey from them

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 39)