Premier League 2017/18 (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Pep is so hard to beat over 38 games once his team is settled. There are no missteps against small teams. He just overruns them.

In a one off or even a two leg matchup it's quite different. I'm actually a fan of Pep despite my past criticisms but I criticize him only because it's so simple for him to become easily the best coach ever, and that is to adapt from time to time. But he has some insane marks on his resume where his ego overshadows the whole match like when he insisted on marking Barca's MSN man to man at the halfway line and getting destroyed.

Even smaller matches like this year vs. Napoli. He lets them hang around. He gives openings. It's not as if you're tucking your tail between your legs if you decide to counter for just 20 minutes. Just sub one attacker for a midfielder and counter, and the game is over.

But no, that would mess up his "art". Jesus, it's a football match not "art".

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Pep is so hard to beat over 38 games once his team is settled. There are no missteps against small teams. He just overruns them.

In a one off or even a two leg matchup it's quite different. I'm actually a fan of Pep despite my past criticisms but I criticize him only because it's so simple for him to become easily the best coach ever, and that is to adapt from time to time. But he has some insane marks on his resume where his ego overshadows the whole match like when he insisted on marking Barca's MSN man to man at the halfway line and getting destroyed.

Even smaller matches like this year vs. Napoli. He lets them hang around. He gives openings. It's not as if you're tucking your tail between your legs if you decide to counter for just 20 minutes. Just sub one attacker for a midfielder and counter, and the game is over.

But no, that would mess up his "art". Jesus, it's a football match not "art".
Would +rep if poss.

- - - Updated - - -

to be honest a lot of these players are REALLY benefiting from the system he created.

I rate aguero, KDB and Silva as top players but I dont rate Sterling, Sane, Jesus, fernandinho that highly. Willian, Pedro and Hazard are better wingers in my books I might even take Diego Costa above Aguero. Salah Coutino and Mane are also on par if not better. Same with Lukaku, Ibra, Miki, Mata, Martial & Rashford.

On paper I dont think anyone except KDB would start at a serious top team, he has really created a unit that is greater than the sum of its parts. He doesnt have the best team on paper its on par with the best or barely edges the others on paper but he is getting them to perform as a unit at a much higher level than all the rest.
It's by far the best team on paper b/c the other EPL teams aren't that good. And he has no excuse to not have the best team after spending so much money.

City had the best team even last season albeit it lacked balance.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
to be honest a lot of these players are REALLY benefiting from the system he created.

I rate aguero, KDB and Silva as top players but I dont rate Sterling, Sane, Jesus, fernandinho that highly. Willian, Pedro and Hazard are better wingers in my books I might even take Diego Costa above Aguero. Salah Coutino and Mane are also on par if not better. Same with Lukaku, Ibra, Miki, Mata, Martial & Rashford.

On paper I dont think anyone except KDB would start at a serious top team, he has really created a unit that is greater than the sum of its parts. He doesnt have the best team on paper its on par with the best or barely edges the others on paper but he is getting them to perform as a unit at a much higher level than all the rest.
Unfair comparisons imo. Sane and Jesus are only kids. Their better days are still ahead. But they have lot of potential. Not sure why you dont rate them tbh.

Aguero, Silva and KDB would all start in serious teams. Their current keeper is also supposed to be really good, so surely he would start in many teams who have question marks with keepers, say PSG for example. Aguero could have gone to Barca or Real but for Atletico loyalty rejected them. And he seemed to have settled in Manchester very well cause he extended till like for ever and only consider going back to Argentina on his old days. (that was years ago already). Silva is somewhat underrated player in general. He was actually one of Spain best players in euro 2008 for example. But goes under radar because of Xavi-Iniesta and Real/Barca players in the NT during the dominant years. He was class already at Valencia. He and Villa had a great partnership in terms of understanding.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Would +rep if poss.

- - - Updated - - -

It's by far the best team on paper b/c the other EPL teams aren't that good. And he has no excuse to not have the best team after spending so much money.

City had the best team even last season albeit it lacked balance.
Not by far at all. Their attack on paper is about as good as Chelsea United or Liverpool (this season). Chelsea lack depth but the starting 11 is really close in quality to City's. UTD have about the same quality in the starting 11 and about the same depth or slightly less. Liverpool have no depth and not a single good defensive player.

Does he have a squad to be strongest in the EPL yes. But to completely obliterate them with this massive gap? Hell no.

His squad is not substantially better than the rest the way Bayern's squad is much superior to Dortmund's or Juve to Roma/Napoli. But he is now making them feel like the Dortmunds & Romas of the world. Mind you, these are all top coaches too.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Morata is unproven in terms of 20+ goalscoring starter, compared to Aguero.

Utd are weird imo. Really weird. Zlatan is finished (age wise and recovering from long term injury). Guys like Martial are 22 years old now so breakthrough should be made by now (3rd season at Utd). But doesnt seem so.
Lukaku is all hype and crap in big games. Also not CL top level striker. I think they should have signed another striker this summer.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Morata is unproven in terms of 20+ goalscoring starter, compared to Aguero.

Utd are weird imo. Really weird. Zlatan is finished (age wise and recovering from long term injury). Guys like Martial are 22 years old now so breakthrough should be made by now (3rd season at Utd). But doesnt seem so.
Lukaku is all hype and crap in big games. Also not CL top level striker. I think they should have signed another striker this summer.

Strikers: City has the best.
Wingers: Sane & Sterling are not players that would start regularly for Liverpool, Chelsea or Utd. Chelsea clearly has the best wingers.

CM & CAMS: city has top quality in KDB, Silva & Fernandinho but Fabregas & Kante arent lil kids either. Same with Pogba & Matic.Even Miki was the bundesliga's best midfielder till UTD ruined him. No clear gap in the starting CMs but city is better in depth.

Defense they are all shit. GK United clearly has the best keeper.. Courtois and Ederson are kinda equals now.

Again overall City has most quality depth and are slightly strongest in the striker and CM positions on paper. That small difference on Paper is translating into a huge gap on the football pitch thanks to Pep's system. Him edging competition and winning the title is okay... but him having a gigantic gap and breaking all sorts of records in the process shows that he is doing something special this season.

How do you rate City's squad against ours btw?

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
De Bruyne, Silva , Agüero, Gabriel Jesus, Sane, Sterling, Bernardo Silva

Compared to

Morata, Hazard, Willian, Pedro, Fabregas, Batshuayi (Costa is leaving for Atletico )

City have more quality and depth in attack too.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
City is clearly superior, predictable since they spent 300-400M in 2 summers. also Chelsea lost Costa and Matic, so they are inferior even to their last seasons selves. Morata already missed like what, half the games? Chelsea regressed and City improved, making the gap even bigger

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
De Bruyne, Silva , Agüero, Gabriel Jesus, Sane, Sterling, Bernardo Silva

Compared to

Morata, Hazard, Willian, Pedro, Fabregas, Batshuayi (Costa is leaving for Atletico )

City have more quality and depth in attack too.
I still cant believe we didnt try hard for this guy - He could have been a real upgrade on the wing (not that De Bruyne Silva Aguero and Jesus are not good..)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Aguero and David Silva surely would get a lot of starts at any given top team. Sane and Sterling might be a bit different, but for his system they are exceptional players. In a way the same goes for KDB by the way, who has been very disappointing for Belgium over the last few years.

It would be foolish to say Guardiola isn't a great coach, but on the other hand he did get everything he asked for. Got to spend millions and millions on fullbacks for example.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
Harry Kane - what would you think if this scenario happens (although I prefer we stay with Dybala)
Dybala sold for 120-150M
Kane to Juve 100M

I always rated Kane and not because his goal scoring record but because he is a fantastic player

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011
Harry Kane - what would you think if this scenario happens (although I prefer we stay with Dybala)
Dybala sold for 120-150M
Kane to Juve 100M

I always rated Kane and not because his goal scoring record but because he is a fantastic player
I'd welcome him with open arms, but there's no way he'll be cheaper then Dybala. He's more prolific, English and a significantly better player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)