Premier League 2017/18 (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
That’s just the list of most played sports in the country, right? Doesn’t mean much. Football is the #1 sport in Australia in terms of participation, but it’s not even close to being the country’s most popular sport.
:agree:

There is a massive difference between participation in a sport and the popularity as a spectator/tv audience sport.

I somehow doubt Rugby is less popular than badminton or bowls in England. :lol:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Most played in order.

Swimming
Athletics
Cycling
Football
Golf
Badminton
Tennis
Equestrian
Bowls
Squash
Rugby Union
Netball

#27 Rugby League
Tiddlywinks

I think that placing qualifies it as niche. Yes?
There is no way Bowls is more played than Rugby, only old people play that shit. Golf? I can't imagine many working class people especially in the north can afford to be a member of a golf club or even play it on a regular basis without going abroad to warmer climates.

Equestrian played more than rugby? i really don't think so, that is some made up shit right there

Football and Rugby is the 2 most common sports in most public and private schools in the country

However you look at it Rugby is by no means a niche sport in England, anything but, it just requires a field a some posts, pretty much something the country easily facilitates without much upkeep cost involved, I can't imagine there are many equestrian schools given the running costs

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
There is no way Bowls is more played than Rugby, only old people play that shit. Golf? I can't imagine many working class people especially in the north can afford to be a member of a golf club or even play it on a regular basis without going abroad to warmer climates.

Equestrian played more than rugby? i really don't think so, that is some made up shit right there

Football and Rugby is the 2 most common sports in most public and private schools in the country

However you look at it Rugby is by no means a niche sport in England, anything but, it just requires a field a some posts, pretty much something the country easily facilities, I can't imagine there are many equestrian schools given the running costs
There are a couple Lawn Bowling clubs in the area I live. Shit is ridiculously popular amongst the elderly. :p

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
thats not a sport, thats just an excuse to have a piss up with a mate down the pub

- - - Updated - - -

There are a couple Lawn Bowling clubs in the area I live. Shit is ridiculously popular amongst the elderly. :p
fuck I don't want to end up like them, looks boring as fuck :D

- - - Updated - - -

seriously can't be arsed to sign up just to flick through a slideshow. Given that is data based on 2016 I still doubt that bowls and equestrian surpasses Rugby. I'm almost certain that field hockey is more widely played than bowls and equestrian especially given the success the ladies team have had in the last 2 olympics, and with the Olympic park in London hosting the forthcoming world cup this summer, as well as hosting some major european tournaments the last few summers which have been well attended, boosting huge numbers on the 'back to hockey' schemes that clubs around the country are setting up, a lot of the big clubs around the country have grown from having at least 5 or 6 sides in the men's section at least 9 or 10 in recent years, even the youth sector in some of these top clubs are over populated thus the club grows more when they become of age to compete in the adult league at 13

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017
seriously can't be arsed to sign up just to flick through a slideshow. Given that is data based on 2016 I still doubt that bowls and equestrian surpasses Rugby. I'm almost certain that field hockey is more widely played than bowls and equestrian especially given the success the ladies team have had in the last 2 olympics, and with the Olympic park in London hosting the forthcoming world cup this summer, as well as hosting some major european tournaments the last few summers which have been well attended, boosting huge numbers on the 'back to hockey' schemes that clubs around the country are setting up, a lot of the big clubs around the country have grown from having at least 5 or 6 sides in the men's section at least 9 or 10 in recent years, even the youth sector in some of these top clubs are over populated thus the club grows more when they become of age to compete in the adult league at 13
Opinion vs Data.

https://www.sportengland.org/media/11746/1x30_sport_16plus-factsheet_aps10.pdf

Some of it surprises me a little too, but there you go.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Same here :lol:

The old anglos love it. Whilst the old Italians here have bocce clubs.
I play bocce with some friends occasionally in the summer. A few drinks, some bocce. Great time.

Can't wait until I'm an old guy at the local lawn-bowling club, sipping a few drinks, tossing a few bowls, tottering down the lawn after them, showing off to the old broads.

:weee:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007

However you look at it Rugby is by no means a niche sport in England, anything but, it just requires a field a some posts, pretty much something the country easily facilitates without much upkeep cost involved, I can't imagine there are many equestrian schools given the running costs
The list is by participation, registered members, not viewers or tv viewing figures, media popularity etc.

The most popular sport in the UK is fishing and has been for a long time.

Powis

Dec 9, 2009
I'm pretty sure the IOC recognizes as a sport. Most sporting federations recognize a limited number of "mind sports".

Imagine sport fishing in the Olympics. Catch and release. At the very least it would be entertaining watching PETA activists go mental.
Fishing is a pretence for boys to get away from wives and get drunk.

Lapa

FLY, EAGLES FLY
Sep 29, 2008
sitting on your arse waiting for a fish to take a bite hardly requires skill or much technique. Golf actually does involve an element of skill and technique
I still wouldn't call golf as sport. You need some skill and technique when cook too, but it doesn't make cooking a sport.

Fishing is a pretence for boys to get away from wives and get drunk.
This is very true. :tup:

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Men are actually better at cooking, I’ll admit that.

And yeah, golf is pretty retarded as a sport. It’s somethign that’s fun to play but I don’t get why people watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)