Premier League 2017/18 (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017
Ive always felt that England has the highest quality 2nd rate leagues, they have teams that know what they're doing even in the 5th league. Germany js decent in this aspect too
That's probably true. The attendance at Conference matches (England's 5th division) is slightly ahead of Serie C.

Wigan are certainly worlds away from being Man City. But they're no tin pot club. Their stadium is quite impressive for their status. They were in the Europa League in 2013-14 as FA Cup Winners the year before. Owned by a multi-millionaire, two or three internationals on the roster. I'm not sure if they're that much worse than, say, Benevento in Serie A. And they're only 20ish miles from Manchester, so if there's one game they will have been up for, it's City.

Having drawn Southampton in the 1/4 finals, it's not inconceivable that they make the semis at Wembley. Where they'll get 50% of the gate receipts from 80k supporters, plus broadcast monies etc. The FA Cup is a great competition that make such a difference to the lower division clubs. It's a shame that the CL has devalued the tournament in the eyes of the top PL clubs.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
That's probably true. The attendance at Conference matches (England's 5th division) is slightly ahead of Serie C.

Wigan are certainly worlds away from being Man City. But they're no tin pot club. Their stadium is quite impressive for their status. They were in the Europa League in 2013-14 as FA Cup Winners the year before. Owned by a multi-millionaire, two or three internationals on the roster. I'm not sure if they're that much worse than, say, Benevento in Serie A. And they're only 20ish miles from Manchester, so if there's one game they will have been up for, it's City.

Having drawn Southampton in the 1/4 finals, it's not inconceivable that they make the semis at Wembley. Where they'll get 50% of the gate receipts from 80k supporters, plus broadcast monies etc. The FA Cup is a great competition that make such a difference to the lower division clubs. It's a shame that the CL has devalued the tournament in the eyes of the top PL clubs.
Wigan is a rugby town so the DW stadiums capacity is suited more for hosting rugby than football. Their footballing attendance was never all that great

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017
Wigan is a rugby town so the DW stadiums capacity is suited more for hosting rugby than football. Their footballing attendance was never all that great
Not really. The football attendance was always higher than Rugby when they were in PL. Rugby will only ever be a niche sport, even in a Rugby town.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
shuffleboard

- - - Updated - - -

"It does get aggressive out on that court, it gets pretty aggressive out there. You've got a lot of plays to go and a lot of things to do and you're shoving those discs, some of them going thirty miles per hour down that court."

"The Germans are coming up, they're coming up strong, so they will be strong."

:lol:

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017
A niche sport? It's arguably the 2nd most played sport in England. Hardly tiddly winks
Most played in order.

Swimming
Athletics
Cycling
Football
Golf
Badminton
Tennis
Equestrian
Bowls
Squash
Rugby Union
Netball

#27 Rugby League
Tiddlywinks

I think that placing qualifies it as niche. Yes?

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
Where's cricket? Golf is higher? I smell bullshit.
The difference lies in played/participation and popularity.

Rugby Union is arguably the 2nd most popular sport in England (UK), but there's not a lot who play it. Similar with Cricket.

In general it's something that is very hard to find credible data on; TV-ratings, match attendance, surveys, participation.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Most played in order.

Swimming
Athletics
Cycling
Football
Golf
Badminton
Tennis
Equestrian
Bowls
Squash
Rugby Union
Netball

#27 Rugby League
Tiddlywinks

I think that placing qualifies it as niche. Yes?
That’s just the list of most played sports in the country, right? Doesn’t mean much. Football is the #1 sport in Australia in terms of participation, but it’s not even close to being the country’s most popular sport.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
The difference lies in played/participation and popularity.

Rugby Union is arguably the 2nd most popular sport in England (UK), but there's not a lot who play it. Similar with Cricket.

In general it's something that is very hard to find credible data on; TV-ratings, match attendance, surveys, participation.
Depends on what you mean by "not a lot who play it"

Rugby is arguably the 2nd most played sport in most public and private secondary schools behind football, be it rugby league or union.

Cricket is a sport largely played in a summer months and I'm talking about regular people who are a member of a club would generally have a 'winter' sport be it Rugby or hockey which is on the rise

As for Rugby as a televised sport its undoubtedly the 2nd most watched behind football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)