post your all time dream team squad! (4 Viewers)

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
@X, what ALC and Zach said.

And it's said that the defenders of yesteryear make modern ones look like a joke.

Ronaldo9 tho, probably the best CF ever? What a boss.

First of all modern football started in the 70s and by late 80s it had stabilized to the way we know it now, so everybody since then is in that modern category for me. Secondly your statement along with that of alc and zach is erroneous because it goes from comparing the top players from each era to comparing all players from modern era to the best from the previous one. I can also use silly arguments like defenders used to get away with murder before making their job easier, however when it comes to the cream of the crop the technical and athletic is pretty obvious to see.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
I have an easy comparison for you

35 year old Nesta(or was it 37?), in a dreadfull milan team, absolutely locked up lionel messi for both legs.

I remember Nesta in his 20ties. People around the world hate defending, but everyone agrees that nesta was the best defender in the world.

Wanna know something else ? Ronaldo9 once got past Nesta with a perfect elastico, near the byline, with 2 others pressing him, on less then 1 square meter. then he succesfully passed it to a teammate.

thats how good ronaldo9 was. pre injury, he was the best striker ever.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Better athletes dont make better players.

Nesta at 35 still was the best defender in the world when in a good day, and he was never a marvellous athlete.
He was very mobile (by centre-back standards, at least) before the injuries started to take their toll.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
He was very mobile (by centre-back standards, at least) before the injuries started to take their toll.
Yes, but he wasent a maldini.

I think from all the brilliant defenders, maldini was the most complete one, closely followed by nesta who was amazing at playing the ball out of trouble

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
First of all modern football started in the 70s and by late 80s it had stabilized to the way we know it now, so everybody since then is in that modern category for me. Secondly your statement along with that of alc and zach is erroneous because it goes from comparing the top players from each era to comparing all players from modern era to the best from the previous one. I can also use silly arguments like defenders used to get away with murder before making their job easier, however when it comes to the cream of the crop the technical and athletic is pretty obvious to see.
why is it easy to see?

the game back then was slower and players had more opportunities to pull fancy moves. how's that for an argument?

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
The big thing I would like to see is how the great defenders of yesteryear would handle playing with the current interpretation of the offside law, which is very much in the attacker's favour, where in the '80s and earlier it was still weighted much more in favour of the defence.

Not for a moment suggesting the great defenders from thirty years ago couldn't have made the adjustment - would just be interested to see how they'd get on and if they would still look quite as good as they did in the era they played in.

One of the things that I don't understand, among all the tactical trends that come and go, is why the libero/sweeper hasn't made any sort of reappearance in recent years. With so many teams playing with just one central striker, I'm amazed no-one has tried to return to having a sweeper playing behind a centre-half who performs a man-marking job on the lone centre-forward. Everyone remains obsessed with playing zonally.

OP

napoleonic

Sep 7, 2010
  • Thread Starter #309
    my revised all time team

-------------- Buffon --------------

Cafu - Sciera - Beckenbauer - Nesta - R. Carlos

--------------- Rijkaard -------------

Nedved ----- Zidane ----- Ronaldinho

--------------- Cruyff ---------------

I think it's the most complete team ever, including, the man who epitomized libero, the man who epitomized false 9, the man who epitomized defending, the man who epitomized attacking fullback - the man who epitomized swing winger, etc; the team can play catenaccio, total football, tiki taka, kick and rush whatever...

:D

Aug 17, 2007
    Maldini and Nesta are better than Cannavaro imo. I think Maldini deserved a Ballon D'or, not Fabio.

This one's great but......Beckham? Most over-rated player in the last 20 years.

Well, most of the players mentioned are from the team that would've won it if it wasn't for Nedved's YC and Dida saving penalties 3 meters away from the goal line.
    Ignore all the hype around him, Becks was very very dangerous. His crosses, set pieces, the fact that he can put a ball on a forward's head\foot from 60 meters away...he was unique.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
    The big thing I would like to see is how the great defenders of yesteryear would handle playing with the current interpretation of the offside law, which is very much in the attacker's favour, where in the '80s and earlier it was still weighted much more in favour of the defence.

Not for a moment suggesting the great defenders from thirty years ago couldn't have made the adjustment - would just be interested to see how they'd get on and if they would still look quite as good as they did in the era they played in.

One of the things that I don't understand, among all the tactical trends that come and go, is why the libero/sweeper hasn't made any sort of reappearance in recent years. With so many teams playing with just one central striker, I'm amazed no-one has tried to return to having a sweeper playing behind a centre-half who performs a man-marking job on the lone centre-forward. Everyone remains obsessed with playing zonally.
    The interesting thing would be the coach, anticipating the change, the defenders wouldnt have that many troubles with it.

And man, i would pay good money to see maldini/baresi/ R.carlos going up against messi on the flank, or maldini/nesta (prime) in the center. All of them beeing exceptionally hard to get past

Hence, i'd like to see montero against him, THAT would be something

Mar 30, 2006
    I think an all Juve team playing a possession/spain type football with an ultra creative passing mid would be fantastic to see

---------------------Buffon---------------------

----Cannavaro-------Scirea(C)--------Montero---------

Nedved--------------Pirlo-----------------------Davids

----------Platini-----------------Zidane-------------

------------Sivori-------------Del Piero------------

Could you imagine this team playing a pass and move game. I feel Nedved and Davids would have to do a similar job to what Asamoah does at our LWB position but if anyone can handle the work it is those two. Also good luck getting the ball off that midfield lol.. I also included our 5 golden ball winners :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)