Playing Football (3 Viewers)

OP
Scottish

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
  • Thread Starter #162
    Out of all the players and referees, he is the only one that got charged with match fixing, and it's impossible to do so. Also, Sammut went off in the 65th minute, when Malta were losing 1-0...they ended up losing 4-0 with two of the goals coming after the 80th minute. I don't know if he did it or not, however, it is impossible that he did anything alone. Don't really know him to be honest, but the few times i've played against him, he always seemed like a decent guy.

Personally, I think he was nearing the end of his career (33 years old) and he took the fall for some younger players who were involved, but that's just my opinion on it
    That makes sense, although if he's denying the claims then he's not taking the fall all that much. Sounds like more of a scapegoat by the Maltese FA. If the game was fixed I really see no way for him to have had much of an impact. If the game was supposed to be 4-0 he didn't make it like that for sure. Does it make you uneasy playing with him, though? :D

- - - Updated - - -

@<a href="http://forum.juventuz.org/member.php?u=15392" target="_blank">Scottish</a>

Cross turned goal, totally claimed it :D
    :tup:

Cuti

The Real MC
    Jul 30, 2006
    That makes sense, although if he's denying the claims then he's not taking the fall all that much. Sounds like more of a scapegoat by the Maltese FA. If the game was fixed I really see no way for him to have had much of an impact. If the game was supposed to be 4-0 he didn't make it like that for sure. Does it make you uneasy playing with him, though? :D
    He's probably denying the claims to not have his name/career tarnished, but as anyone with a brain knows, it is impossible to fix a match on your own lol.

No not really, never mentioned it near him. He is a super player though.

My friend used to play for Malta U21 as a central defender or defensive midfielder, and he has played against Ngog (he is a Liverpool fan) and Lukaku...he told me Lukaku at 16 years old looked older than most of the 21 year old players on the pitch haha

OP
    Scottish

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
    Mar 13, 2011
  • Thread Starter #164
    He's probably denying the claims to not have his name/career tarnished, but as anyone with a brain knows, it is impossible to fix a match on your own lol.

No not really, never mentioned it near him. He is a super player though.

My friend used to play for Malta U21 as a central defender or defensive midfielder, and he has played against Ngog (he is a Liverpool fan) and Lukaku...he told me Lukaku at 16 years old looked older than most of the 21 year old players on the pitch haha
    Ha! That reminds me that about a month ago my younger cousin got his 11s team of 16-18 year olds to play against some of us. We got absolutely hammered. A few of them play in ProYouth (the primavera of Scottish football) and even the rest of them train and play 11s regularly. I had thought that our physical play would even things up a bit but that didn't happen at all. They were all too good on the ball and too quick off of it. I told a few of them to take up heavy drinking and smoking before we play again :D

OP
    Scottish

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
    Mar 13, 2011
  • Thread Starter #166
    Played 11s on Wednesday. Not a great game and we got pumped. To be fair the other team managed to draft in a semi-professional who scored 4 goals. I've never seen somebody run so fast with a ball in my life.

On the plus side a game has been organised in The Airdrie Exelsior Stadium. Playing at night under the floodlights...can't wait :D

Cuti

The Real MC
    Jul 30, 2006
    Nice.

Yesterday we had another 7 a side league game. The captain decided to start me on the bench, I didn't complain or make a fuss...I was the first one of our team to arrive and did my warm ups etc. I encouraged them from the side while they were playing. After 10 mins or so I got subbed in (it's rolling subs) and within 30 seconds I started a counter attack with some one twos, had a chance on my weaker side, i kept it low and sent the keeper the wrong way but he managed to hit it out with his feet. About 5 minutes later I had another chance that I created alone, I bullied one of the opposition's midfielders and stole the ball, ran at the defence, dribbled past one, but he touched the ball slightly so it stayed a bit behind me, I saw the keeper coming out, and with my weaker foot I managed to lift it over the diving keeper, unfortunately it hit the post and got cleared by the defender.

In the second half we started well but was a bit more cagey (it was 1-1 at this point). Then I saw our central defender with the ball, and I was one on one with the defender, and I shouted out for the ball to be played to me along the wing, the defender played a great ball, I got away from the defender, was one on one with the keeper and slid it round him to make it 2-1.

Following that the other team went more attacking so I was leading counters for us. The keeper was playing the ball to me, I was controlling it with my back to goal and laying it off to the oncoming midfielders, I set up like 3 one on ones but they missed them all.

One of the times I controlled a long ball on my chest and laid it off to the captain, I then turned my defender and took a few paces towards goal, my teammate barely touched it to me, and with me turned sideways to goal, I ran for the ball and hit it first time, I hit it sweetly, it curved round the keeper and I thought it was going top corner, however it once again hit the post, on the way back it passed slightly over the keeper's head and the other teams defenders cleared it. Had it gone in, it would have been the nicest goal I scored this year.

Ultimately we won 3-2, which was our first win of the season! We have another 2 games in December before the Xmas break, if we manage to win both, we will end the Christmas break in 4th place, which isn't too shabby.

My goal to game ratio so far is 75%, as I've scored 3 in 4 games, I've also hit 4 posts in 4 games but that's another story lol

OP
    Scottish

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
    Mar 13, 2011
  • Thread Starter #168
    Just played in that same stadium again as a testimonial for myself and one other guy who is moving out of Glasgow. Was a pretty relaxed game, my team lost but it's not really a big deal. Especially not because I scored a belter of a goal - dribbling around one guy in the box before lobbing the keeper. So happy :D
    @Cuti how's the season going? @Raz how's the injury? @Salvo how's the Puskas bid coming on? I'm hot on your heels :D

OP
    Scottish

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
    Mar 13, 2011
  • Thread Starter #170
    :D
    Sounds like a golazo.
    I havent played in a while now, indoor season finished. I am trying to start a new team though.
    Oh nice? 11s?

Should also mention that I put a penalty not just over the bar but over the netting protecting the stand :D

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
    Just played in that same stadium again as a testimonial for myself and one other guy who is moving out of Glasgow. Was a pretty relaxed game, my team lost but it's not really a big deal. Especially not because I scored a belter of a goal - dribbling around one guy in the box before lobbing the keeper. So happy :D
    @Cuti how's the season going? @Raz how's the injury? @Salvo how's the Puskas bid coming on? I'm hot on your heels :D
    Fucked up :D Haven't played anything in six months, because I wanted to rest because I didn't want to play indoors. Did some trial walking a month back and now can barely walk, waiting for surgery :) Hopefully by the time the outdoor season starts I will be ready to go. Good to hear others are having fun though :D

OP
    Scottish

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
    Mar 13, 2011
  • Thread Starter #173
    Fucked up :D Haven't played anything in six months, because I wanted to rest because I didn't want to play indoors. Did some trial walking a month back and now can barely walk, waiting for surgery :) Hopefully by the time the outdoor season starts I will be ready to go. Good to hear others are having fun though :D
    Oh shit man, that sucks balls! Is it risky surgery?

- - - Updated - - -

Cool, I've never played 5s anything other than casually. How seriously is the league taken?

Cuti

The Real MC
    Jul 30, 2006
    Not too bad I guess, the team is a bit frustrating as a lot of the team either don't pass or else pass very poorly, however my goal to game ratio is still pretty high, something like 6 in 7 games. However I've missed a few games due to injury and being abroad. Next league game is Thursday week and should play in that one. I think we are around 4th in the league which isn't too bad

OP
    Scottish

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
    Mar 13, 2011
  • Thread Starter #177
    Not too bad I guess, the team is a bit frustrating as a lot of the team either don't pass or else pass very poorly, however my goal to game ratio is still pretty high, something like 6 in 7 games. However I've missed a few games due to injury and being abroad. Next league game is Thursday week and should play in that one. I think we are around 4th in the league which isn't too bad
    Cool. How big is the league? My 11s team is actually down a CF for tomorrow night, fancy a trip to Scotland? :D

Cuti

The Real MC
    Jul 30, 2006
    Not that big, Around 9-10 teams I think. I'll pass...feeling cold enough in Malta as it is, I imagine Scotland is just horrible (cold wise) haha

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Started our new 7 v 7 league today. Started out decently, playing compact and countering to an 2-0 lead. Then the other team started shooting. Our GK is mud, lost 8-3. The other team's GK scored twice, from his own end.

On another note, Mexicans play really dirty. Handsy like crazy, but it does make for some fun aerial battles.

Also, I played left defense and was credited for a goal on the official scoresheet. But I didn't take a shot.:lol:

OP
    Scottish

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
    Mar 13, 2011
  • Thread Starter #180
    Started our new 7 v 7 league today. Started out decently, playing compact and countering to an 2-0 lead. Then the other team started shooting. Our GK is mud, lost 8-3. The other team's GK scored twice, from his own end.

On another note, Mexicans play really dirty. Handsy like crazy, but it does make for some fun aerial battles.

Also, I played left defense and was credited for a goal on the official scoresheet. But I didn't take a shot.:lol:
    But you'll take it anyway :D Actually you're a good person to ask - how is the availability of pitches in México? I'll be in Metepec near Toluca. Obviously gonna be taking my boots with me. There is a Liga MX team in Toluca and a 4th tier team in Metepec so I'm presuming there will be space to play games of 5s or whatever. Is it generally quite widespread?

Got my last game on Wednesday for my 11s team. Nearly a year ago we started playing, it's been a hell of a lot of fun and I aim to win the game with a clean sheet as usual (I mean that's the usual aim, that is definitely not a usual outcome :D)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)