[Peace Cup] JUVENTUS 0-0 (3-4) Aston Villa, August 2nd 2009 (3 Viewers)

whateverr

Jun 16, 2009
But even if you try to guess by reading the player's body movements, you can still be unpredictable. I'm not arguing anything else but that.

If you close your freakin' eyes, dive to a random spot, the kicker can simply slow down or do a stutter step and totally screw up the keeper's chances.

Statistically, all methods probably revert to the same probability of working, but it's foolish to say that trying to guess player movements cannot work if you have a good eye for it, IMO. Or if you watch tapes of the players.
The point is once your opponent knows you are reacting to penalties you lose an advantage in timing...in fact their strategies become dominated because you are not simulatiounsly choosing anymore...the kicker has an advantage when making a decision because it will be made before the keeper reacts. Of course we are not talking about faints etc...we are talking about the instant the two decisions are made...point of contact and movement of keeper.

In any case I much prefer those shotoust where you play the ball from the half and have to score within 10 secs...much more exciting...and not based on unpredictability..

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
The point is once your opponent knows you are reacting to penalties you lose an advantage in timing...in fact their strategies become dominated because you are not simulatiounsly choosing anymore...the kicker has an advantage when making a decision because it will be made before the keeper reacts. Of course we are not talking about faints etc...we are talking about the instant the two decisions are made...point of contact and movement of keeper.

In any case I much prefer those shotoust where you play the ball from the half and have to score within 10 secs...much more exciting...and not based on unpredictability..
Are you an actual keeper and have been trained?

Lucky Luke

Jul 23, 2007
:lol: Not surprised by that at all.
i hate losing man,thats all!JUVE is in my heart for the last 13 years,if possible i want 38 wins in the next championship!ok im dreaming
god i love :bigscarf:

i just cant imagine my reactions if we lose especially in penalties a major trophy like C.L.
in 03 i was crying..well i was 13 years old back then
now what?:andy2: ?

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

MLS shootouts were so fun.:lol:

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
It was only a friendly, peeps need to see the brighter aspects to this game. Like, for example, us Americans witnessed the birth of the next great American GK:D

On another note, we need these kind of performances for Ciro to see who his best starting XI is going to be when the season starts. For example, Trez, if he doesn't start getting more involved or converting then Ciro knows what decisions need to be made. This is the time for Ciro to see who is consistently playing well so he can gather up his top XI to start.

Losing in PKs does not mean we had a bad performance. I would have been much more concerned if we lost in regular time with an overall bad performance. PKs do not necessarily tell us who the better team was when we all know who the better team was on the night, performance wise (Juve). Again, take lightly the loss but focus more on the positives. Ciro is experimenting and he needs to know that when certain players need rested he can rely on others to fill their places. He needs to know which teams click versus which ones just can't seem to find their niche.

At the end of the night I was pleased with the team.

Buffon: Always reliable, thank God we have him.
Zebina: Like I said, this is his year. Great performance and it is nice to see his confidence is back. If you can't see that then you need to re-watch the last 2 games he has played.
Legro: For the most part reliable, maybe its me as an ex defender but I am not completely sold on him. Good back up when we need it.
Chiellini: Love him, one of my favs but he still makes some pretty crazy challenges and decisions he needs to learn from. Aside from the few tangents he goes on, he is great and nearly impossible to get by.
Molinaro: Showing more confidence going forward I think. To be honest, when I saw him in the beginning I thought it was Sali. Moli seems to be improving slightly, but not significantly enough to start. I saw DC on the bench, would like to see him play if fit.
Grygera: Sweet baby Jesus, help us if he is at LB.
Felipe Melo: I love how he charges forward and how strong he is when on the ball. He is a hard one to knock off the ball when he has possession and I love that he is not afraid to try that killer pass from the hole. He closes down quickly, and with his speed is a nuisance for opponents. He covers a lot of ground and with Sissoko playing our opponents are going to have a two man army they need to get by to get close to Buffon.
Marchisio: To be honest I don't think he has had as much playing time as some others which I think is a bit unfair. I hope Ciro gives him more time to acclimate with the team/new formation/role. I think he showed good movement around in midfield, but not his typical industrious performance.
Zanetti: Please stay fit, the guy is class. So calm when on the ball.
Camo: He deserves a :D for his performance again. I love seeing this Camoranesi and not the hot headed inconsistent one of last year. You can tell he is twice the player and enjoys the free role in a 3 man midfield when he can drift.
Giovinco: You could see the boys riding him in the beginning. I think, as always, he shows his potential. He made some great runs, covered a lot of ground and made himself available to get the ball. I love that he tries the slot the ball through the middle to unleash the speed of IQ/Amauri. He tries to get the right type of ball to each striker to get the most out of them.
Iaquinta: One fast mofo right here. You can tell we are trying to use that now with the passes through the middle. He needs to keep at it, he will challenge the starting spot well. The guy runs so hard for as long as he is on the field.
Trezeguet: Come on brotha, I am not sure what you are waiting on. Start scoring so some people on here will shut up about selling you. He has it in him, you all know he does. The goals will come, I just hope the team is showing more support than these dumb ass announcers were on GolTV.
DP: I don't think there was one person here who wasn't standing with heart racing when he took that free kick as soon as he stepped on the field. We all wanted him to sink it I think. Not much to do in overtime with so many strikers, but damn it we were counting on you DP to make that PK. We know he wouldn't have done that if it was a CL final. He tried to pull a Totti:)
Amauri: Not a whole lot to say about him in this game. Quiet.

C4ISR

Dec 18, 2005
Our players were spent after HT. It was extremely obvious for both teams. It wasn't much of a match after the 1st half. The tempo decreased, mistakes increased, and a stalemate was evident long b4 116 minutes.

Even with tiredness, we managed to create a lot more quality chances than our opponents, but the finishing was terrible. Trez and Iaquinta were spent. The timing of their runs was off, their touches heavy, and they made a mess of chances they usually bury. These are all clear signs of fatigue.

We don't need to sell Trez, overly criticize Seba or rip Ciro a new 1 for making no subs and than switching to a 424. This match was nothing more than preparation for the regular season. We took the games vs Sevilla and Madrid much more seriously.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Game theory :sergio:

The point behind reaction times and decision making is common sense...
I'm just saying it's difficult to argue the value's of a penalty stopping technique when you've never stopped one.

Based purely on theory a pk should never be missed. Especially when you take into account a person's average reach, sideways jump, and speed of reaction.

whateverr

Jun 16, 2009
I'm just saying it's difficult to argue the value's of a penalty stopping technique when you've never stopped one.

Based purely on theory a pk should never be missed. Especially when you take into account a person's average reach, sideways jump, and speed of reaction.
You misunderstand what game theory is....it's a mathematical model to determine the likeliest outcome based on a wide ranging stategies available to opponents. It's pretty much science...

I'm not disputing that having some experience would help to understand the process better but I still mantain that based on evidence..theory and practical the 'choosing a side and throwing yourself' seems a better bet when keeping...

Chindie

Aug 1, 2009
Evening again.

Well, I'm surprised at that outcome. I saw the squads before k/o and it hit me quite how weak our squad is as it stands. I was expecting to be beaten, but to give a good account of ourselves.

As it was, I was surprised we were as good as we were. Defensively as tight as we've been for a while, even Lichaj wasn't embarassed. Juve's quality of course shined through at times, perhaps best emphasised by our sheer inability to make much stick up front, but we kept at it regardless. First half I felt was fairly even, but as we introduced more youth players in the second we dropped off somewhat in the attacking third. No great surprise.

Genuinely, I think it was just one of those games for you fellas, you could have played all night and not scored, your front line just not having it land for them. Guzan and Cuellar also helped immensely. The Spanaird also revealed he has a mean freekick in his locker too.

Albrighton also must come out the game with credit. 20yo local lad, never started a game in the league for us, has Juve doubling up on him, thats a complement and a half to the lad.

Anywho, it's only a friendly of course and ultimately it matters little, but it's great to see our youth take on some of the worlds finest and not disgrace themselves by any means.

On your side of things, Melo impressed me immensely. He reminds me slightly of Essien, perhaps slightly less 'physical' in his game but with a bit more finesse. I think you've an asset there who will prove his worth immensely. I also appreciated the amiability of Buffon, it was good to see such a good natured player after Portos hateful display of diving and ill temperedness.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)