[Peace Cup] JUVENTUS 0-0 (3-4) Aston Villa, August 2nd 2009 (7 Viewers)

whateverr

Jun 16, 2009
Actually no it's not. Not if you do it right and you're good at it. It can be more effective that just guessing a random direction and going all out. It's all in your "step" off the line.
Tell that to Shilton and other keepers who tried such strategies....penalties are basically a game theory which thrive on unpredictability...if the keeper becomes predictable it is very easy to score once you figure out to just hit it at a fair angle ...Furthermore the reaction times between looking where the ball is going and acting are too slow to keep the ball from going in. Unless players decide to be too clever...the whole choosing a side and throwing yourself is a much safer bet.

Sep 2, 2004
I cant even lie this loss hurts. Losing on PKs is the worst feeling especially as we had it won basically. On the good side, Melo will be top 5 midfielders in the world at Juve.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Tell that to Shilton and other keepers who tried such strategies....penalties are basically a game theory which thrive on unpredictability...if the keeper becomes predictable it is very easy to score once you figure out to just hit it at a fair angle ...Furthermore the reaction times between looking where the ball is going and acting are too slow to keep the ball from going in. Unless players decide to be too clever...the whole choosing a side and throwing yourself is a much safer bet.
If the keeper becomes predictable on saving penalties, whether he tries to read the player or just guess, then he is just an idiot.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
That can't be the pronounciation for Lichaj.

It sounds Polish to me (possibly even Albanian) and if it's Polish then it's Lee-Chay or Lee-Tzhay. If it's Albanian it's Lee-Kai (i think). But in any case it can't be Lie-schak.
Where the fuck do you see the K sound at the end of the name? :D

whateverr

Jun 16, 2009
If the keeper becomes predictable on saving penalties, whether he tries to read the player or just guess, then he is just an idiot.
How can you be predictable if you choose a random spot and throw yourself to it...you can only be predictable if you wait for the kick and slow your reaction times in relation to your movement or make it obvious where you are going to throw yourself. It is a know fact in game theory that in football penalties there are no dominant or dominated strategies for either keeper or kicker....unpredictability is the best trait to win.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004

It sounds Polish to me (possibly even Albanian) and if it's Polish then it's Lee-Chay or Lee-Tzhay. If it's Albanian it's Lee-Kai (i think). But in any case it can't be Lie-schak.
CH makes a K sound in some cases.

Apr 12, 2004

ßüякε;2092177 said:
Leech-eye
ßüякε;2092180 said:
Watch out though, Eric Lichaj has a Polish passport...
BLOOM!

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
1st rule of PKs, the keeper should never be able to block them. A perfect penalty strike is unstoppable. A pk is a situation in which the Keeper is at disadvantage at all times. Therefore he must do everything in his power to reduce the disadvantage.

There are three schools of penalty stopping. The first is the traditional school of penalty stopping, in which the keeper picks a corner to cover and a location (high or low) and goes for it. In this situation the keeper is almost always at a negative advantage so he uses certain tells to determine the direction of the shot. These tells range from eye contact to the corners, direction of the hips, angle of the ankle, angle of approach, and so on and so forth. The only problem with this approach is the evolution of the penalty taker, thanks to CR7 and other classless pussies keepers now have to contend with head fakes, fake run ups, fake shots and a whole long list of distractions before the shot.

The second school of penalty stopping is what I like to call Jelly-Legs University. Here keeps are taught to girate up and down the line in an attempt to throw off and distract to spot kicker. It works occasionally (Dudek 2005) but mostly ends up with the keeper attempting to reverse his position and force a reactionary save.

The third school is what I like to call Cheaters School. It's basically what Guzan and other keepers like him do. It requires to keeper to be quick and have above average athleticism. Basically the keeper steps off his line as quick as he can as soon as the ball is struck or in other cases just before the ball is struck (see Taffarel against France in WC 94). This forward momentum gets the keeper moving and makes it a much easier save because the body is already moving and not coming from a dead stop, and in addition the angle is cut and the shooter has less goal available to him. All this is very possible as keepers generally have better reflexes than us mortal souls. But keepers with little athletic ability are less likely to be successful with this method. And of course if the shooter hits the ball perfectly there is no chance of stopping the shot because after all, it is a penalty.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

You've never been to America.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
How can you be predictable if you choose a random spot and throw yourself to it...you can only be predictable if you wait for the kick and slow your reaction times in relation to your movement or make it obvious where you are going to throw yourself. It is a know fact in game theory that in football penalties there are no dominant strategies for either keeper or kicker....unpredictability is the best trait to win.
But even if you try to guess by reading the player's body movements, you can still be unpredictable. I'm not arguing anything else but that.

If you close your freakin' eyes, dive to a random spot, the kicker can simply slow down or do a stutter step and totally screw up the keeper's chances.

Statistically, all methods probably revert to the same probability of working, but it's foolish to say that trying to guess player movements cannot work if you have a good eye for it, IMO. Or if you watch tapes of the players.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
The only problem with this approach is the evolution of the penalty taker, thanks to CR7 and other classless pussies keepers now have to contend with head fakes, fake run ups, fake shots and a whole long list of distractions before the shot.
Hey, I do stutter steps when I take penalties, too. :pumpkin:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)