[Peace Cup] JUVENTUS 0-0 (3-4) Aston Villa, August 2nd 2009 (2 Viewers)

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Villa are one of the most likeable in England, for the fanbase, for the players, for the culture behind them, I follow them primarily because of my housemate and i dont think we could face a better team in the final!

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
If he plays well he will do great, a performance like the second fixture against bologna this year he will rape Guzan to shit. If he plays like today he will get shoved around A LOT lol.

Chindie

Aug 1, 2009
Evening.

Villa fan here.

Looking forward to the final, I'd have to admit Juve were my preferred pick as soon as we beat Porto, I've an immense dislike of Real so was glad to see you fellas go through, despite the fact that Real would probably be the easier bet.

Anyway, I'll fill you in Villa as we stand right now since if you've watched any of our matches you might see a few unfamilar names.

The squad is incredibly thin and pretty weak actually that we've sent to the cup, partly down to the manager losing and selling some players with few buys, yet, and partly because we chose to leave the likes of Agbonlahor, Milner and Craig Gardner out of the squad thanks to their England U21 exploits earlier in the summer. So, the squad as it stands in the Peace Cup...

Friedel - Veteran US keeper, well known but starting to decline, been sidelined for the last 2 matches in favour of Guzan.
Guzan - Young US keeper been given his chance in the Cup and, tonight especially, grabbed it with both hands. He looked a class above tonight and the former MLS Goalkeeper of the Year (snigger) is a big prospect for us.
Parish - Youth keeper you'll not see or hear of.

Cuellar - Big Spainard bought from Rangers struggled in his first season but there are high hopes he'll be much better this season. Tonight proved to be a monster against Porto, and has the ability to be a top defender with good ability in the tackle.
Davies - Big still slightly raw defender, excells when fit and confident with a good partner, like the sadly departed ex-Serie A man Laursen. Hasn't quite settled in this tournament but on his day can be an asset.
Clark - Young English defender with high hopes from the Academy, came on tonight for Davies early on and took to the task of Champs League regulars with glee, but still very very young and raw.
Lichaj - American youth defender, again high hopes but not ready yet, he's been thrown into the side as we've been ravaged by injuries and small squad at RB, not disgraced himself but Cameranesi on the left will get joy against the lad.
Shorey - LB who should have done better than he has. Slower than continental drift, very average, understudy to sadly unfit Bouma.

Nigel Reo-Coker - CM with a great engine, will run and tackle all game long, sadly couldn't pass more than 5 yards if his life depended on it.
Sidwell - Much maligned CM, more or less back up really but can do well, and has a good shot on him. Can also disappear all match.
Albrighton - Youth player again with high hopes from the Academy. Has been a revelation in the Peace Cup, came on early in the first game and hasn't looked back, fast and capable of a great cross, still raw but could be a great player.
Ashley Young - The teams star. Can change a game on his own with pace and trickery, capable of glorious crosses and excellent finishes. Needs to cut out some petulance and diving from his game, goes down like a Thai hooker. But vital to us.
Bannan - Another Youth player called up, tiny Scotsman with an eye for a pass.
Lowry - And another youth, versatile and combative.
Herd - See above.

Carew - Familiar name round Europe, loved by the fans at Villa Park, the big man seems to have found home and is, on his day, completely unplayable.
Harewood - A reserve we should be selling, he's not very good but he's full of heart.
Weimann - Youth striker, has done well at reserve level and looked hungry at this tournament.

Those are the players you're likely to see. There are others, like Heskey who was sent off tonight, that we have with us but are unlikely to play.

To be honest, I'm surprised we've got this far. We're not a bad side at all, but we're severely weakened, as the amount of youth players we've brought shows. The losses of Barry, to Citeh's billions, and Laursen, to injury, have been felt and not replaced, and we have picked up other injuries too, player of the season Petrov dislocating his shoulder against Atlante, Luke Young to a persistant thigh injury and so on. However we've grown in stature as the tournament has progressed and should give you a game, though to be honest I'm certain you'll win. Then again I was sure Porto would win and we shocked them, petulant diving bastards they are.

To a good game anyway!

whateverr

Jun 16, 2009
Evening.

Villa fan here.

Looking forward to the final, I'd have to admit Juve were my preferred pick as soon as we beat Porto, I've an immense dislike of Real so was glad to see you fellas go through, despite the fact that Real would probably be the easier bet.

Anyway, I'll fill you in Villa as we stand right now since if you've watched any of our matches you might see a few unfamilar names.

The squad is incredibly thin and pretty weak actually that we've sent to the cup, partly down to the manager losing and selling some players with few buys, yet, and partly because we chose to leave the likes of Agbonlahor, Milner and Craig Gardner out of the squad thanks to their England U21 exploits earlier in the summer. So, the squad as it stands in the Peace Cup...

Friedel - Veteran US keeper, well known but starting to decline, been sidelined for the last 2 matches in favour of Guzan.
Guzan - Young US keeper been given his chance in the Cup and, tonight especially, grabbed it with both hands. He looked a class above tonight and the former MLS Goalkeeper of the Year (snigger) is a big prospect for us.

Cuellar - Big Spainard bought from Rangers struggled in his first season but there are high hopes he'll be much better this season. Tonight proved to be a monster against Porto, and has the ability to be a top defender with good ability in the tackle.
Davies - Big still slightly raw defender, excells when fit and confident with a good partner, like the sadly departed ex-Serie A man Laursen. Hasn't quite settled in this tournament but on his day can be an asset.
Clark - Young English defender with high hopes from the Academy, came on tonight for Davies early on and took to the task of Champs League regulars with glee, but still very very young and raw.
Lichaj - American youth defender, again high hopes but not ready yet, he's been thrown into the side as we've been ravaged by injuries and small squad at RB, not disgraced himself but Cameranesi on the left will get joy against the lad.
Shorey - LB who should have done better than he has. Slower than continental drift, very average, understudy to sadly unfit Bouma.

Nigel Reo-Coker - CM with a great engine, will run and tackle all game long, sadly couldn't pass more than 5 yards if his life depended on it.
Sidwell - Much maligned CM, more or less back up really but can do well, and has a good shot on him. Can also disappear all match.
Albrighton - Youth player again with high hopes from the Academy. Has been a revelation in the Peace Cup, came on early in the first game and hasn't looked back, fast and capable of a great cross, still raw but could be a great player.
Ashley Young - The teams star. Can change a game on his own with pace and trickery, capable of glorious crosses and excellent finishes. Needs to cut out some petulance and diving from his game, goes down like a Thai hooker. But vital to us.
Herd - See above.

Carew - Familiar name round Europe, loved by the fans at Villa Park, the big man seems to have found home and is, on his day, completely unplayable.
Harewood - A reserve we should be selling, he's not very good but he's full of heart.
Weimann - Youth striker, has done well at reserve level and looked hungry at this tournament.

Those are the players you're likely to see. There are others, like Heskey who was sent off tonight, that we have with us but are unlikely to play.

To be honest, I'm surprised we've got this far. We're not a bad side at all, but we're severely weakened, as the amount of youth players we've brought shows. The losses of Barry, to Citeh's billions, and Laursen, to injury, have been felt and not replaced, and we have picked up other injuries too, player of the season Petrov dislocating his shoulder against Atlante, Luke Young to a persistant thigh injury and so on. However we've grown in stature as the tournament has progressed and should give you a game, though to be honest I'm certain you'll win. Then again I was sure Porto would win and we shocked them, petulant diving bastards they are.

To a good game anyway!
Much appreciated..looking forward to the match.

OP

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
  • Thread Starter #13
    Evening.

Villa fan here.

Herd - See above.

To a good game anyway!
    :tup:

Welcome! :beer:

Chindie

Aug 1, 2009
    Mellberg is one of the most loved players of recent years at Villa Park. He mightn't always have been the best of defenders but he endeared himself to us. Spent the best part of his career with us in some low times for the club and we loved him for it. Genuinely 'got' the club, celebrated like a fan would when we beat local rivals Small Heath (Birmingham City to everyone else) 5-1 a couple of years back. And on leaving for you fellas he bought all the travelling supporters to his final game a shirt with a farewell and thank you message on the back. Great man, my favourite player when he was still with us, one of the few players who genuinely did leave the club with good wishes from all.

So yeah it is a shame he's moved on really! I know a few Villans would have happily had he come back from his time with you.

Chindie

Aug 1, 2009
    He played for England in the U21 Euro Championship, along with Agbonlahor and Craig Gardner, so we gave them an extended break and they weren't included in the squad. We could have done with them to be honest, thats 2 first teamers and a useful back up missing, but it's a fair enough decision I suppose, especially in Gabby's case since his game is so much about pace he burns out easily.

Suns

Release clause?
    May 22, 2009
    Evening.

Villa fan here.

Herd - See above.

To a good game anyway!
    Thank you. I saw that kid Delfouneso on TV and he looks really good in the U-19 championships.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
    Mellberg is one of the most loved players of recent years at Villa Park. He mightn't always have been the best of defenders but he endeared himself to us. Spent the best part of his career with us in some low times for the club and we loved him for it. Genuinely 'got' the club, celebrated like a fan would when we beat local rivals Small Heath (Birmingham City to everyone else) 5-1 a couple of years back. And on leaving for you fellas he bought all the travelling supporters to his final game a shirt with a farewell and thank you message on the back. Great man, my favourite player when he was still with us, one of the few players who genuinely did leave the club with good wishes from all.

So yeah it is a shame he's moved on really! I know a few Villans would have happily had he come back from his time with you.
    Yeah Mellberg was a really cool guy and welcome to the foum :beer:

Italians dont win against english teams too often these days but im pretty confident of Juve winning on sunday :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)