[Peace Cup] JUVENTUS 0-0 (3-4) Aston Villa, August 2nd 2009 (7 Viewers)

Furia Ceca

Mar 21, 2008
Evening.

Villa fan here.

Looking forward to the final, I'd have to admit Juve were my preferred pick as soon as we beat Porto, I've an immense dislike of Real so was glad to see you fellas go through, despite the fact that Real would probably be the easier bet.

Anyway, I'll fill you in Villa as we stand right now since if you've watched any of our matches you might see a few unfamilar names.

The squad is incredibly thin and pretty weak actually that we've sent to the cup, partly down to the manager losing and selling some players with few buys, yet, and partly because we chose to leave the likes of Agbonlahor, Milner and Craig Gardner out of the squad thanks to their England U21 exploits earlier in the summer. So, the squad as it stands in the Peace Cup...

Friedel - Veteran US keeper, well known but starting to decline, been sidelined for the last 2 matches in favour of Guzan.
Guzan - Young US keeper been given his chance in the Cup and, tonight especially, grabbed it with both hands. He looked a class above tonight and the former MLS Goalkeeper of the Year (snigger) is a big prospect for us.
Parish - Youth keeper you'll not see or hear of.

Cuellar - Big Spainard bought from Rangers struggled in his first season but there are high hopes he'll be much better this season. Tonight proved to be a monster against Porto, and has the ability to be a top defender with good ability in the tackle.
Davies - Big still slightly raw defender, excells when fit and confident with a good partner, like the sadly departed ex-Serie A man Laursen. Hasn't quite settled in this tournament but on his day can be an asset.
Clark - Young English defender with high hopes from the Academy, came on tonight for Davies early on and took to the task of Champs League regulars with glee, but still very very young and raw.
Lichaj - American youth defender, again high hopes but not ready yet, he's been thrown into the side as we've been ravaged by injuries and small squad at RB, not disgraced himself but Cameranesi on the left will get joy against the lad.
Shorey - LB who should have done better than he has. Slower than continental drift, very average, understudy to sadly unfit Bouma.

Nigel Reo-Coker - CM with a great engine, will run and tackle all game long, sadly couldn't pass more than 5 yards if his life depended on it.
Sidwell - Much maligned CM, more or less back up really but can do well, and has a good shot on him. Can also disappear all match.
Albrighton - Youth player again with high hopes from the Academy. Has been a revelation in the Peace Cup, came on early in the first game and hasn't looked back, fast and capable of a great cross, still raw but could be a great player.
Ashley Young - The teams star. Can change a game on his own with pace and trickery, capable of glorious crosses and excellent finishes. Needs to cut out some petulance and diving from his game, goes down like a Thai hooker. But vital to us.
Bannan - Another Youth player called up, tiny Scotsman with an eye for a pass.
Lowry - And another youth, versatile and combative.
Herd - See above.

Carew - Familiar name round Europe, loved by the fans at Villa Park, the big man seems to have found home and is, on his day, completely unplayable.
Harewood - A reserve we should be selling, he's not very good but he's full of heart.
Weimann - Youth striker, has done well at reserve level and looked hungry at this tournament.

Those are the players you're likely to see. There are others, like Heskey who was sent off tonight, that we have with us but are unlikely to play.

To be honest, I'm surprised we've got this far. We're not a bad side at all, but we're severely weakened, as the amount of youth players we've brought shows. The losses of Barry, to Citeh's billions, and Laursen, to injury, have been felt and not replaced, and we have picked up other injuries too, player of the season Petrov dislocating his shoulder against Atlante, Luke Young to a persistant thigh injury and so on. However we've grown in stature as the tournament has progressed and should give you a game, though to be honest I'm certain you'll win. Then again I was sure Porto would win and we shocked them, petulant diving bastards they are.

To a good game anyway!
Welcome :beer:
Some very good info, thanks.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
I like Villa. Not just their players, mainly their manager. O'neil has always been superb at what he does, and when Ferguson finally retires, I expect him to be the man to replace him. He knows how to build a team, the right components to include and importantly, he demands from as well as gives in return, respect, to players, fans and other clubs alike. I like his style. A solid, decent man of rare integrity for the modern game.

As for the team. I am glad, for this game only, that Barry has left. Its good news for us, but bad news for Villa, because he has quality as well as stamina. Same can be said for Milner, but at least, for the Villans, he remains in the midlands club set-up.

Carew wont be a threat as long as Chiellini is on him. But Ashley Young will test our fullbacks as much as, perhaps more than, ROnaldo did last night. Because he is already an integrated part of their team, tactics and flow...whereas the same cannot be yet said of Ronaldo at Madrid. Their plan was to just give him the ball, and let him do the rest...Which didn't work against us, because even when he went past a man, or two, there was cover, and his passing options were limited due to sound marking and covering other areas of the pitch by our defence and Melo.

Reo Coker and Melo will be an interesting collision.

Other than Young, though...I expect Villa to be less threatening than Madrid. Which should allow us to enjoy the 4-3-1-2 formation a little more than when one side of that is under constant attack. If Camo is suspended, then I will hope that Marchisio will come in on the right of the midfield trio. It would be useful to have someone a little more defensive to play on the side of that three, which will be seeing the most of Young. Yes, taking out Camo means less creativity, but it matters little if Diego is back.

Villa to me are a fair, hard working team, who for various periods of a season go on decent runs fuelled by everyone gelling and the team spirit being sky high. No primadonnas...they have an english feel, even with their stranieri....and play decent, honest football.

We are also lucky that Agbonlahor is not included in their peace cup squad, because like Young, he has devastating pace, and can finish.

On paper, we should win this one, but I doubt that any team of O'Neil will be a pushover.

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
Evening.

Villa fan here.

Looking forward to the final, I'd have to admit Juve were my preferred pick as soon as we beat Porto, I've an immense dislike of Real so was glad to see you fellas go through, despite the fact that Real would probably be the easier bet.

Anyway, I'll fill you in Villa as we stand right now since if you've watched any of our matches you might see a few unfamilar names.

The squad is incredibly thin and pretty weak actually that we've sent to the cup, partly down to the manager losing and selling some players with few buys, yet, and partly because we chose to leave the likes of Agbonlahor, Milner and Craig Gardner out of the squad thanks to their England U21 exploits earlier in the summer. So, the squad as it stands in the Peace Cup...

Friedel - Veteran US keeper, well known but starting to decline, been sidelined for the last 2 matches in favour of Guzan.
Guzan - Young US keeper been given his chance in the Cup and, tonight especially, grabbed it with both hands. He looked a class above tonight and the former MLS Goalkeeper of the Year (snigger) is a big prospect for us.
Parish - Youth keeper you'll not see or hear of.

Cuellar - Big Spainard bought from Rangers struggled in his first season but there are high hopes he'll be much better this season. Tonight proved to be a monster against Porto, and has the ability to be a top defender with good ability in the tackle.
Davies - Big still slightly raw defender, excells when fit and confident with a good partner, like the sadly departed ex-Serie A man Laursen. Hasn't quite settled in this tournament but on his day can be an asset.
Clark - Young English defender with high hopes from the Academy, came on tonight for Davies early on and took to the task of Champs League regulars with glee, but still very very young and raw.
Lichaj - American youth defender, again high hopes but not ready yet, he's been thrown into the side as we've been ravaged by injuries and small squad at RB, not disgraced himself but Cameranesi on the left will get joy against the lad.
Shorey - LB who should have done better than he has. Slower than continental drift, very average, understudy to sadly unfit Bouma.

Nigel Reo-Coker - CM with a great engine, will run and tackle all game long, sadly couldn't pass more than 5 yards if his life depended on it.
Sidwell - Much maligned CM, more or less back up really but can do well, and has a good shot on him. Can also disappear all match.
Albrighton - Youth player again with high hopes from the Academy. Has been a revelation in the Peace Cup, came on early in the first game and hasn't looked back, fast and capable of a great cross, still raw but could be a great player.
Ashley Young - The teams star. Can change a game on his own with pace and trickery, capable of glorious crosses and excellent finishes. Needs to cut out some petulance and diving from his game, goes down like a Thai hooker. But vital to us.
Bannan - Another Youth player called up, tiny Scotsman with an eye for a pass.
Lowry - And another youth, versatile and combative.
Herd - See above.

Carew - Familiar name round Europe, loved by the fans at Villa Park, the big man seems to have found home and is, on his day, completely unplayable.
Harewood - A reserve we should be selling, he's not very good but he's full of heart.
Weimann - Youth striker, has done well at reserve level and looked hungry at this tournament.

Those are the players you're likely to see. There are others, like Heskey who was sent off tonight, that we have with us but are unlikely to play.

To be honest, I'm surprised we've got this far. We're not a bad side at all, but we're severely weakened, as the amount of youth players we've brought shows. The losses of Barry, to Citeh's billions, and Laursen, to injury, have been felt and not replaced, and we have picked up other injuries too, player of the season Petrov dislocating his shoulder against Atlante, Luke Young to a persistant thigh injury and so on. However we've grown in stature as the tournament has progressed and should give you a game, though to be honest I'm certain you'll win. Then again I was sure Porto would win and we shocked them, petulant diving bastards they are.

To a good game anyway!
Hey, I think this person deserves the award for the Best Opponent Introduction.

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you have made all Aston Villa proud by your post. Very good representative of a team.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
Buffon
Zebina Canna Chielini Sali
Marchisio - Melo - Tiago
Diego (if he can play)
Trez - IQ

Would like Trez and DP to pick up a goal in this tournament, tho'

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
No Camoranesi and no Diego sucks. Anyway, with a better turf and with more possession than in the Madrid game, Giovinco will probably shine.

Zanetti Melo Tiago
Giovinco
Amauri DP

Kosta

The Eccentric
Jul 16, 2006
You guys probably missed Cronios , otherwise I can't explain why this Chindie post was qouted so many times in the thread. :D

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
No offense but that Villa squad looks everything but impressive. You'll need your Agbonlahors and Milners (and hopefully some new additions to replace those that left).

Malaga beat them and so should we.

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
They are not much of a team but with a great manager...Their most dangerous players are Young and Carew so if Melo takes on Young and Chellini holds Carew we will finish them :D

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
channels prodcasting the final:

ART Sport 3
Gol TV (America) **
Kuwait TV3
La 7
La Sexta
MaXimo 2
Orange Sport (Fra)
Sharjah TV2
Sport TV2
SuperSport 3 (ZA)
SuperSport 3A
SuperSport 3N
~ Sport TV HD

Luftwaffles

Il terzo uomo
Dec 1, 2005
Aston Villa play with tremendous team spirit. The loss of Gareth Barry was a big blow to them.

Diego is 10% chance of playing any part of the final.

Part of the £2m prize for winning the Peace Cup should be used to make a small donation to Mutu's €16m fine:heart:

Gep

The Guv'nor
Jun 12, 2005
Im not underestimating Villa for one second. Just hope the boys dont either. Lets just finish this job off so we can finally have the smell of success again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)