Paulo Dybala (93 Viewers)

Legend or Rookie? ***non-official poll***

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
I am the delusional one because I'd sacrifice the soon to be 36 year old who earns 30+ million in wages? FYI, our results haven't improved since he arrived. We were eliminated in the QFs of the CL last season, and we're possibly going to suffer a humiliating and ignominious elimination at the hands of Violin Garcia and his Lyon in the 2nd round. Yes, coaching and a shitty midfield have something to do with it, but the fact remains that we reached 2 CL Finals under Allegri, without CR7 here.

Like you said, it doesn't have to be either/or, but if it is, I know who I'm backing, and for good reason.

Jun 16, 2020
We need to find a balance between building the squad around Dybala and getting Ronaldo in the best position the score. Ronaldo’s best quality is finishing, without a doubt. He’s no fast dribbler anymore and should be served in the penalty area.

Dybala I find at best just outside the penalty area, he should have the freedom to roam around the field.

After almost 2 years I think we need a striker who can hold the ball, a Firmino kind of player. Otherwise a killer type like Cavani.

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
Ronaldo really isn’t a better player than Dybala anymore. You are still stuck in the past.

Dybala was our best player this season until COVID.
That is nuts.

Dybala is currently playing his second worst season at Juventus. That purple patch really got people spinning because they were all ready to shout 'Allegri we told you so', but really Ronaldo and his goals are the only reason we are in the title race to begin with.

I am the delusional one because I'd sacrifice the soon to be 36 year old who earns 30+ million in wages? FYI, our results haven't improved since he arrived. We were eliminated in the QFs of the CL last season, and we're possibly going to suffer a humiliating and ignominious elimination at the hands of Violin Garcia and his Lyon in the 2nd round. Yes, coaching and a shitty midfield have something to do with it, but the fact remains that we reached 2 CL Finals under Allegri, without CR7 here.

Like you said, it doesn't have to be either/or, but if it is, I know who I'm backing, and for good reason.
Yeah the reason being you adore Dybala and he can do no wrong. Reality is no one in the world would take Dybala over CR, no matter the age.

Being younger is not a talent. Two years ago no one could've predicted what would be happening now, so much changes in a seemingly small time period. And we're not a club that's looking more than a year into the future. Two years from now CR could retire, we could sell Dybala and have someone completely new.

I can't believe I even have to argue this. You people laugh at United fans for their delusion but this is no different. Like choosing Kyrie over LeBron lmao

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Yeah the reason being you adore Dybala and he can do no wrong. Reality is no one in the world would take Dybala over CR, no matter the age.

Being younger is not a talent. Two years ago no one could've predicted what would be happening now, so much changes in a seemingly small time period. And we're not a club that's looking more than a year into the future. Two years from now CR could retire, we could sell Dybala and have someone completely new.

I can't believe I even have to argue this. You people laugh at United fans for their delusion but this is no different. Like choosing Kyrie over LeBron lmao
No one would take Dybala over a 30 year old Ronaldo, even a 32 year old Ronaldo, but a 35 year old Ronaldo on 30+ million wages? I take Dybala 9 times out of 10.

As for your comparison with Kyrie and Lebron, The Lakers took Lebron and, without help, he didn't make the playoffs, so it's not just about one player. Like I said, if you bring in a Mbappe or even a Neymar in place of Dybala, then it's hard to argue. However, this management enjoy downgrading, not upgrading. A Dybala in exchange for a Lolcaku or an Icunti? Fuck off with that shit.

Still, we did reach 2 CL Finals, without Ronaldo! These are facts. Do we need Ronaldo to win Serie A? We won 7 titles in a row before he got here, so I think that question practically answers itself.

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
No one would take Dybala over a 30 year old Ronaldo, even a 32 year old Ronaldo, but a 35 year old Ronaldo on 30+ million wages? I take Dybala 9 times out of 10.

As for your comparison with Kyrie and Lebron, The Lakers took Lebron and, without help, he didn't make the playoffs, so it's not just about one player. Like I said, if you bring in a Mbappe or even a Neymar in place of Dybala, then it's hard to argue. However, this management enjoy downgrading, not upgrading. A Dybala in exchange for a Lolcaku or an Icunti? Fuck off with that shit.

Still, we did reach 2 CL Finals, without Ronaldo! These are facts. Do we need Ronaldo to win Serie A? We won 7 titles in a row before he got here, so I think that question practically answers itself.
I know you would. But Ronaldo still is and, if healthy, will be much much better than Dybala for the next 2-3 years. I'm not saying Ronaldo over Dybala for 10 years, but for the duration of his contract it's not close.

Ofc you need help. But it's still LeBron fucking James over Kyrie any day of the week.

Who said anything about downgrading? I'm just talking Dybala-Ronaldo 1v1. If you get in other fantasy prediction stuff... selling Dybala and getting Pogba for that money, I'd take that any day of the week. Then you'd have the player similar age to Dybala who fits perfectly with CR (which Dybala doesn't) and can still continue after him. You sell Dybala you can still get someone in his age bracket who's just as good (better IMO but I don't want to start another discussion lol) and fits better with Ronaldo. You sell CR you can't get anyone as good as he is.

Yeah, and Ronaldo won more than twice CL trophies than we did as a club in 100+ years history. Ronaldo is not the problem in this equation. And we also reached one of the finals without Dybala. And he had ONE match on the level of CR during that '17 run. Ronaldo scored 5 goals in 4 CL KO games just last year while Dybala has 5 KO goals in his career ffs. You're talking as if CR is a step away from retirement and Dybala was scoring 40 per season no sweat without him. I guess it depends on how long you think CR can maintain this level, but are we more likely to reach another CL final with Dybala or Ronaldo as the main player? Come on...

I know you love him and I appreciate that. But think about it honestly - throughout his career has Dybala shown, with his ability and goal scoring record and mentality and consistency, that he can be THE main player on a perennial CL contender and eventual winner? That player that just elevates you in the big moments? I can't believe you people watched Ronaldo vs Atletico last year and think Dybala is anywhere close to that, let alone Ronaldo from a few years back. Some of our best games in CL over the years have been without Dybala. That isn't a coincidence and just can't happen if you want to be a player of that level.

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
Im pretty within 3 years 38 year old Ronaldo will still be better player than 30 year old Dybala. Ronaldo at 41 and Dybala at 33 would get to somewhere even fight.

No disrespect, but that's how it is.

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
That is nuts.

Dybala is currently playing his second worst season at Juventus. That purple patch really got people spinning because they were all ready to shout 'Allegri we told you so', but really Ronaldo and his goals are the only reason we are in the title race to begin with.
Dybala has 12 assists this season (the highest in his Juve career so far), plus 13 goals equals 25 goal contributions. Ronaldo has 25 goals and 4 assists, that is 29 goal contributions. Not a big difference. Excluding penalties taken, I believe Dybala has more goal contributions than Ronaldo.

Then there are things that are not covered by stats. Whenever Juventus struggle, Dybala usually drops deep before Ronaldo. Dybala is a better playmaker, a better passer, and a better dribbler in tight spaces. These are intangibles that help a team but do not show directly on the scoresheet.

If we look at 2019/20 in an vacuum, Dybala and Ronaldo are two players of equal ability.

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
Dybala has 12 assists this season (the highest in his Juve career so far), plus 13 goals equals 25 goal contributions. Ronaldo has 25 goals and 4 assists, that is 29 goal contributions. Not a big difference. Excluding penalties taken, I believe Dybala has more goal contributions than Ronaldo.

Then there are things that are not covered by stats. Whenever Juventus struggle, Dybala usually drops deep before Ronaldo. Dybala is a better playmaker, a better passer, and a better dribbler in tight spaces. These are intangibles that help a team but do not show directly on the scoresheet.

If we look at 2019/20 in an vacuum, Dybala and Ronaldo are two players of equal ability.
No, he has 6 assists. Transfermarkt counts deflected shots that someone scores as an assist, maybe even penalties and FKs won etc, I'm not sure. On whoscored he has 6 assists.

I agree. Such as Ronaldo's mentality and fear he strikes into opposition. He's also a better scorer, faster, stronger, better in the air and has better movement without the ball.

But this is childish. Schoolyard arguments of comparing one skill vs another as something definitive. I don't need to dissect every fiber of their being to know CR is at the absolute worst a top 3 player in the world. Dybala let's just say is not particularly close to that.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
It wasn't about who's better now though, but who to sell IF we had to. And that's an easy choice for me, simply because one is 35 with maybe 2 years to go at Juve, whilst the other one is 26. Feel free to disagree.

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
No, he has 6 assists. Transfermarkt counts deflected shots that someone scores as an assist, maybe even penalties and FKs won etc, I'm not sure. On whoscored he has 6 assists.
I don't see a problem with counting PKs won as an assist. There's a reason why Dybala is fouled so often in the box (I'll let you figure that one out).

Anyway, I used transfermarkt for both Ronaldo and Dybala's stats, so I am using a consistent source for both.

Outside of stats, I would say that Dybala has been our best performer in the big games. Dybala was the best player on the pitch in both games against Inter. Dybala was the best player on the pitch at home against Atletico. Dybala was not great but still our best attacker against Lyon.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Ronaldo's periods of bad form are lasting longer and longer these days. He's an absolute legend and to this day one of the best players in the world when on form but lets be real here, no one is immune to time. I love Buffon too, but I'm not going to claim that he's going to be just like he is now in two years from now because that would be ridiculous. Have to prepare for the future while you can, otherwise you end up like Milan.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

If only dybala tried as hard to play football as you do making silly comparisons

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
It wasn't about who's better now though, but who to sell IF we had to. And that's an easy choice for me, simply because one is 35 with maybe 2 years to go at Juve, whilst the other one is 26. Feel free to disagree.
Again, age is not a talent. The only time it matters is how long a club has before they have to replace that player. I'd rather have Ronaldo's production from the last two years in the next two than Dybala's production from the past 5 in the next 5.

Also, age comparison may work if you compare similar level of player. When the difference is so big as it is between CR and Dybala it's irrelevant.

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
Again, age is not a talent. The only time it matters is how long a club has before they have to replace that player. I'd rather have Ronaldo's production from the last two years in the next two than Dybala's production from the past 5 in the next 5.
Why are you acting as if Ronaldo has been scoring 50 goals per season with us?

He scored 28 goals last season as the main man, Dybala scored 26 the season before. In both seasons, we won the league and got knocked out in the QF of the UCL. A better team knocked us out in 2018 than 2019. We also won the Coppa in 2018, which we didn't do in 2019.

Our team hasn't improved at all since Ronaldo took over as the main man from Dybala.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
If only dybala tried as hard to play football as you do making silly comparisons
But the point of the discussion isn't to make comparisons. I honestly have no idea why Nedved took it there. Btw, Adama Traore reminds me of you. I saw him warning up, and I was it's Gordo on Roids :D

- - - Updated - - -

I know you would. But Ronaldo still is and, if healthy, will be much much better than Dybala for the next 2-3 years. I'm not saying Ronaldo over Dybala for 10 years, but for the duration of his contract it's not close.

Ofc you need help. But it's still LeBron fucking James over Kyrie any day of the week.

Who said anything about downgrading? I'm just talking Dybala-Ronaldo 1v1. If you get in other fantasy prediction stuff... selling Dybala and getting Pogba for that money, I'd take that any day of the week. Then you'd have the player similar age to Dybala who fits perfectly with CR (which Dybala doesn't) and can still continue after him. You sell Dybala you can still get someone in his age bracket who's just as good (better IMO but I don't want to start another discussion lol) and fits better with Ronaldo. You sell CR you can't get anyone as good as he is.

Yeah, and Ronaldo won more than twice CL trophies than we did as a club in 100+ years history. Ronaldo is not the problem in this equation. And we also reached one of the finals without Dybala. And he had ONE match on the level of CR during that '17 run. Ronaldo scored 5 goals in 4 CL KO games just last year while Dybala has 5 KO goals in his career ffs. You're talking as if CR is a step away from retirement and Dybala was scoring 40 per season no sweat without him. I guess it depends on how long you think CR can maintain this level, but are we more likely to reach another CL final with Dybala or Ronaldo as the main player? Come on...

I know you love him and I appreciate that. But think about it honestly - throughout his career has Dybala shown, with his ability and goal scoring record and mentality and consistency, that he can be THE main player on a perennial CL contender and eventual winner? That player that just elevates you in the big moments? I can't believe you people watched Ronaldo vs Atletico last year and think Dybala is anywhere close to that, let alone Ronaldo from a few years back. Some of our best games in CL over the years have been without Dybala. That isn't a coincidence and just can't happen if you want to be a player of that level.
Long story short. If we're selling Dybala to bring in Icunti or Milk, then I'm totally against it. If sacrificing Dybala means improving the team and allowing for more quality and balance, who am I to say no to that? However, I have serious doubts the same management that hired Chain Smoking Cancer and were willing to trade Dybala for Lolcacku are capable of making solid decisions. They'd probably spend the Dybala money on someone we don't need and buy a couple of stopgap quick fixes for the midfield, so Dybala stays.

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
Shouldn't sell Dybala, he's part of us but im afraid his best days are behind him. I just can see certain players peaking in 20-25 and then slowly getting worse till like 30, when they're ready to move to China/MLS. Game's getting faster and faster and since Dybala never been the fastest, how he's going to do at 31 in 4 years? Has a great left foot, good in small spaces but can't really offer more than that. Can't really track back to defend either and putting him somewhere in the middle, his stamina/physique just ain't enough, but could it be doable in the future? Why he couldn't new new Toni Kroos for example, who isn't the most physical or fastest, but has great technique and vision?

Dybala and James Rodriquez have alot in common, don't know which one is better but both are having pretty much same career path and will end up not being part of top teams in Europe in their early 30s or atleast not in starting 11 - that's my guess, sad as it is.

Jun 16, 2020
Dybala scores at least 5 goals less per season because Ronaldo takes the penalty’s and most (this season less than the previous) free kicks. And he’d score probably more.

In my opinion it’s useless to just look to the statistics. Dybala played various roles for us, and had to change a lot to make room for Ronaldo. Last year he clearly had a hard time adapting, meanwhile we changed our system to perfectly fit in Ronaldo. Dybala suffered for this.

Personally if I had to choose between Dybala and Ronaldo I’d choose Dybala as he is far younger and costs us a lot less.

The real problem here is that they both need a #9 as point of reference. Ronaldo is a great finisher, deadly in the penalty area. Dybala’s real qualities are outside the box, he’s perfect to link the midfield and the attack and has insane shooting skills. We can see it on the heatmaps; if they both play we’re lacking someone who occupies the box.

Its not about being the ‘main man’. Give them what they need and they both will preform well. This would be another discussion if Dybala would be a left winger, but he isn’t.

sgjuveboy

Oct 31, 2012
Dybala scores at least 5 goals less per season because Ronaldo takes the penalty’s and most (this season less than the previous) free kicks. And he’d score probably more.

In my opinion it’s useless to just look to the statistics. Dybala played various roles for us, and had to change a lot to make room for Ronaldo. Last year he clearly had a hard time adapting, meanwhile we changed our system to perfectly fit in Ronaldo. Dybala suffered for this.

Personally if I had to choose between Dybala and Ronaldo I’d choose Dybala as he is far younger and costs us a lot less.

The real problem here is that they both need a #9 as point of reference. Ronaldo is a great finisher, deadly in the penalty area. Dybala’s real qualities are outside the box, he’s perfect to link the midfield and the attack and has insane shooting skills. We can see it on the heatmaps; if they both play we’re lacking someone who occupies the box.

Its not about being the ‘main man’. Give them what they need and they both will preform well. This would be another discussion if Dybala would be a left winger, but he isn’t.
They need higuain. As simple as that.
But then we have a dementia coach who says it’s difficult to fit these three together and expect the goals to come.

Shut de f up Sarri, it is difficult to score any goals with our midfield. Stop blaming it on our strikers you old kunt.

Honestly we could have Messi Mbappe Mane in the club, and they will still be struggling the moment they put on our hideous black and white jersey and share the same locker room as matuidi.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 82)