Paulo Dybala (202 Viewers)

Legend or Rookie? ***non-official poll***

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 6, 2015
Not sure that proves he hasn't stagnated.

You just said he was really poor in about half the time period being discussed and among the best or the best in seasons where the team sucked. That's Dybala developing/improving?

Your bar for progress is really low.
I guess it depends on what you think the starting point was. I personally think people often falsely assume that players careers and their progression is linear when it's not, you're allowed to have ups and downs.

I'm not aware of a factual way to graph player progression, but my opinion is that Dybala has been really good this season and he was really good during the Sarri season, outside of that he has mostly suffered from injury problems.

I would also say that Ronaldo's tenure here had a massive impact on Dybala's importance to the team. When Ronnie was here we didn't need Dybi that much, now that Ronnie is gone our attack is again highly reliant on him.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
I wouldn't even want him for 5 years at 6-7m. Too many questions marks around him and even 5m/5years is something i'd consider big time in our office, but most likely i'd fall on that. 10m is something that should include all the bonuses, biggest of them being able to play more than 75% of the games we have in year.

I don't want anymore if's, but's or anything, i want results.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
I guess it depends on what you think the starting point was. I personally think people often falsely assume that players careers and their progression is linear when it's not, you're allowed to have ups and downs.

I'm not aware of a factual way to graph player progression, but my opinion is that Dybala has been really good this season and he was really good during the Sarri season, outside of that he has mostly suffered from injury problems.

I would also say that Ronaldo's tenure here had a massive impact on Dybala's importance to the team. When Ronnie was here we didn't need Dybi that much, now that Ronnie is gone our attack is again highly reliant on him.
Ups and downs are allowed yes but on average the player should be getting better over time. The trend line should at least be upwards. Dybala today is no better than he was when he was young. He can be much worse in some seasons (his many downs) but his ceiling/highest level has not changed. He hasnt become more skilled at anything that he used to do a few years ago. No different from Morata's stagnation. Many ups and downs but pretty much the same player with the same skillset when we had him many years ago. His ceiling is the same ceiling of years past and his dips are too.

I am for keeping him because I fear what the replacements would look like (I am traumatized by Keane's replacement of Ronaldo), but the Bayernfan wasnt unfair in judging him as stagnant.

Jun 6, 2015
Ups and downs are allowed yes but on average the player should be getting better over time. The trend line should at least be upwards. Dybala today is no better than he was when he was young. He can be much worse in some seasons (his many downs) but his ceiling/highest level has not changed. He hasnt become more skilled at anything that he used to do a few years ago. No different from Morata's stagnation. Many ups and downs but pretty much the same player with the same skillset when we had him many years ago. His ceiling is the same ceiling of years past and his dips are too.

I am for keeping him because I fear what the replacements would look like (I am traumatized by Keane's replacement of Ronaldo), but the Bayernfan wasnt unfair in judging him as stagnant.
Fair enough. I do think he has changed (improved) as player from those day. Imo this current version of Dybala is superior to younger Dybala in the build up phase for example.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Fair enough. I do think he has changed (improved) as player from those day. Imo this current version of Dybala is superior to younger Dybala in the build up phase for example.
How far back are you looking? Sarri's Dybala was better imo but I dont hold a strong opinion on this because my memory is spotty.

Akshen

Aug 27, 2010
I'm also missing times when the free kick on the right from him was like a penalty. What did really happen with our free kick takers, was it Ronaldo or they changed balls?
Dybala looka really good in this game, wonder what did try to show with that celebration though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 178)