Paul Pogba (42 Viewers)

How many minutes will he play for jj in 23-24 season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Mou took a team that finished 5th, one point outside the top four. He bought the best player in Serie A, the best player in Ligue 1 and the best midfielder in the Bundesliga + Bailly and finished 6th, a full seven points from the top four positions.

In performance terms the team definitely regressed under him. The cup win and the easy way to a Europa win is just placing bandaid over a deep severe cut in that team and hides the fact that they are now worse than before.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't stand that show :D you musta liked friends too
I cant stand it either. Seinfeld and Curb are much better for sure!

Akshen

Aug 27, 2010
Mou took a team that finished 5th, one point outside the top four. He bought the best player in Serie A, the best player in Ligue 1 and the best midfielder in the Bundesliga + Bailly and finished 6th, a full seven points from the top four positions.

In performance terms the team definitely regressed under him. The cup win and the easy way to a Europa win is just placing bandaid over a deep severe cut in that team and hides the fact that they are now worse than before.

- - - Updated - - -

I cant stand it either. Seinfeld and Curb are much better for sure!
Bro why so harsh, they were just unlucky, if they would win the matches where they lost or draw they would be fighting with Chelsea for 1st spot.
Also they completly destroyed Celta in the semis of EL.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Bro why so harsh, they were just unlucky, if they would win the matches where they lost or draw they would be fighting with Chelsea for 1st spot.
Also they completly destroyed Celta in the semis of EL.
But they didnt win because their character is incredibly weak and they pooped their pants consistently. This is a team that is very weak mentally and when they did win it always felt like a huge burden have been lifted. Mou consistently saying we are tired and calling out players publicly makes it even worse.

Its obviously true that any team that wins the matches they lost or drew would be first.Thats like saying whoever scores more wins in Michael Owen style :D

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Close, but not quite.

Bailly was arguably their best player this season. He's the main reason (alongside Mourinho's negative tactics) they were so good defensively.

Zlatan, Herrera and Bailly are 1-2-3. Pogba is a clear 4th best though. But at the same time, he's also one of the main reasons United are massively underperforming this year (again alongside Mourinho's inane tactics).

Pogba's been given a lot more freedom than Osman and Zizi have been suggesting imo. He's basically had carte blanche to do what he wants on the field for the entire last half of the season. When I watch them play he spends half the match up near the opponents box joining in attacks, and trying to "pull the strings". He's created quite a decent number of chances, though many are half-chances, and he's also killed off an insane number of attacks by inviting too much pressure and trying to dribble too many players, being dispossessed eventually. He also is worst shooter in football (of players taking 3+ shots per game). 8 goals from 175 attempts at goal speaks volumes about how ineffective he is shooting, and how much of a problem that is for that team when you have a player wasting that many attempts on goal which basically lead to a turnover in possession.

His other problem is that he's quite a lazy player when his team loses possession while he's up field and rarely puts effort in to get back and help break up counters leaving United's defense under pressure. It's not been such a big deal against the minnows, but it has been one of the reasons United has picked up the least points against other top 6 teams of all the top 6 teams.

Anyways. He needs better coaching. He needs to be told to simplify things at times, when going for the spectacular is obvious to fail. He isn't Messi, don't be trying to dribble 4+ players. He doesn't have an accurate shot (his "Pogbooms" all but disappeared in his last year at Juve too), so don't be taking 3+ potshots from outside the box every match. And be more aware of the pressure it puts your defense under when you lose possession and don't hustle back.

He's quite obviously going to be one of the best CMs in the world. Top 10 for sure. But what's looking less sure is whether he will be the best CM in football, which looked like an obvious eventuality by the end of last season.
I think Bailly was very good whenever he played, but there were stretches in the season when he didn't play, and Man Utd were just as good defensively. Man Utd's backline changed so much during the season, and they were always relatively solid. I think more had to do with Mourinho's tactics and his organization of their defense than Bailly himself. Pogba has been very important to their build up play, he has been their chief creator of chances, and someone who you can rely on to take the ball and advance it through the lines by using his dribbling and strength. Their midfield IMO has looked much less creative without him.

I completely agree with you about him overcomplicating things and trying to be something he isn't. Correct me if I'm wrong here, you obviously know him more at Juve, but my impression is that this problem has become worse ever since he was given the #10 shirt at Juve. Too many times he loses the ball unnecessarily, by trying to do more than he should. He really needs to iron that out of his game if he's to fulfill his potential.

Mourinho moved him around to be honest. If you remember at the start of the season, he was being played as a DM in a midfield two, as the season progressed he was given more freedom and had the likes of Herrera and Carrick playing behind him. His problem is that it seems he has to play in a very specific position to perform; specifically, as a CM in a 3 man midfield with a DM that covers behind the two CM's. He can't play too close to the goal in the AM positon, nor can he play too deep in the DM position. It creates quite a headache for a manager, but when you pay 100M+ for a player, and that player has the kind of ability Pogba has, I'd say you have to play him in his best position and play to his strengths.

Again, his performances aren't enough for a player of his ability, wages or price tag. But I feel there is a lot of exaggeration about how "poorly" he's played. I'd be very surprised if he wasn't one of the league's best players next season. I hate Mourinho, but he's a world class manager, he's known to extract the best out of his players. I think he will get the best out of Pogba next season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 29)