Paul Pogba (118 Viewers)

How many minutes will he play for jj in 23-24 season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Nail on head.

It's not even necessarily the money that's ruined it, I've come to realise. It's that there's now so much money to be made in the wider football industry that the actual football on the pitch is run as mere marketing. You want players to produce flashy moments so that they will be highly rated on FIFA so kids will play as your team and then subscribe to your social media. As you say, each player is their own brand and a team is simply a collection of those brands in an attempt to gather clout.

This is probs a big part of why the Jj idea bailed. We correctly saw the way football was going, but we wrongly figured that Jj could be established as a suprabrand that transcends that of the players- something which Barcelona, Madrid and Man Utd have, for example. I think all of us here argue that throwing out much of the pre-existing identity of the team was the worst way to start, and then signing Mr Brand for 100m instantly scuppered what was left of the idea, and last summer with the Pogba signing we submitted to the understanding that it's all about the players nowadays and we need to play the same game as the rest of the losers.

Nothing wrong with players securing the bag, but now it's left for us dinosaurs to remember the halcyon days when it was about the football - the 90 minutes of football not the clips edited together with enough effects to avoid a copyright strike. It was about the football and about the team. Long gone. Only upside is we're so boring to watch it's just us grumpy purists still hanging onto Juventus lol
I feel like you are overanalising it a bit. For me Pogba and Ronaldo are not linked. Ronaldo was obviously brand, but we also had just got to 2 CL finals and missed that last touch to potentially win it at that moment in time. Did we really had a model anymore if we spent 90m on a 29 year old Higuain in 2016 already? Higuain was never going to be the difference maker in CL and was labelled choker worldwide after his WC misses which happened 2014. And now we spent 90m on that player? I think its pretty clear that Agnelli sort of went with his emotions at one point and was like, f-ck it, 2 CL finals, so close, yet so far, Ronaldo relationship with Real getting worse and this is kind of once in a decade/lifetime opportunity. Im no expert in finance but covid + empty stadiums affected the outcome of all these transfers and our overall finance too one way or another. Thats also ultimately why all this superleague mess happened. What if they had crystal ball, would they still have signed Ronaldo in 2018? Surely we wouldnt be talking about superleague these last 3 years. Also they somewhat overestimated the core of the team in a "we have always signed some key players for nothing or peanuts so we can make that 1 big signing", but that resulted in Ronaldo paired with the likes of Emre Can and Rabiot, when we prior to that had a world class midfield at one point in time. particularly 2015.

Is Vlahovic also a marketing signing then? We could have signed less expensive striker who maybe would have been more useful. Rememember we have signed good players for peanuts before. Remember Tevez? But we can always blame Allegri for every shortcuming. I have grown extremely tired of Vlahovic. I feel like we got conned by Fiorentina. This guy was compared with Haaland? Dont get me wrong, i dont think Allegri is going to get any better, it seems his ideas and philosophy doesnt match with the football what is being played in order to compete, but if players fail at basic things then they also need to take some responsibility. I wouldnt be surprised if Vlahovic will be another Chelsea flop. And that is also why we shouldnt sign Lukaku. Havent they learned anything from history?

Pogba is more the result of all the financial issues + covid. Pogba was free. We didnt have to compete with anyone bidding for his signing. He knew the club, the club knew him (less likely to flop). He knows the manager, the manager knows him. Given his time at Manutd, Juve seems like the most logical place for him to potentially rebuild his career. However they should have taken his injury problems at Manutd more seriously. I already questioned the signing last summer when it happened. A 29 year old player who is injured 20 games a season at Utd, is going to turn this ship around, when we have been asking for a world class midfielder for years. And now this Pogba was going to save us? Or was it simply the result of having lost so much money with Ronaldo, Covid, getting worse in europe year by year, winning less etc, that Pogba was the best we could do. Cause replacements where a 28-29 year old Bundesliga midtable nobodies like Zakaria. Also what market does Pogba even have left anymore if you dont produce on the pitch? Pogba was one of the most criticized players in England. Sometimes justified, sometimes not. Anyone who watches a bit of football knows Pogba is not a difference maker. So we signed him for marketing, what marketing? 40-50m Instagram clicks? You cant really use him as your posterboy or face of the club if he sits on the medical table 90% of the time. We signed him cause they thought it was the best they could do in those difficult times we have been in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 104)