Patrick Vieira (5 Viewers)

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Dominic ] ++
I disagree Jeeks and Andy. To me, Emerson should be given a more advanced role. Emerson is the more polished- and better alround player. The brazilian has better all round technique and much more smarts, he rarely makes a wrong decision when passing the ball forward. Anyone judging from his roma days and especially Leverkusen days would agree.

The Vieira singing will see a more 'loose' Emerson next season.
This is where the smartness of both players as well as Capello's will appear. None of them should be given a specific role rather alternating roles, one pushing forward and creating plays where the other covers. It is a wonderful combination and I think with Capello's love of two poles, Vieira is the best solution to partner Puma.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
I wonder if that'd work though, the role alternating. Take Lampard and Gerrard for England for example, it has never worked before. Though Sven Goran obviously isn't Capello.
It would be best to at least give both partially specific roles, at least until the midfielder partners have settled in playing together.

Another midfield parther for Emerson, would still have been my preference though.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I disagree Jeeks and Andy. To me, Emerson should be given a more advanced role. Emerson is the more polished- and better alround player. The brazilian has better all round technique and much more smarts, he rarely makes a wrong decision when passing the ball forward. Anyone judging from his roma days and especially Leverkusen days would agree.

The Vieira singing will see a more 'loose' Emerson next season.
To be honest, IMO Vieira is more adept with the ball at his feet, however both Emerson and the Frenchman are about equal in the passing department. I remember when Emerson was with Roma Capello gave him a license to roam forward with Dacourt/Tomassi holding back and I remember him making some nice link up plays on the edge of the 18 along with the likes of Totti and Cassano. Although I noticed same thing with Vieira and his Arsenal teammates over the years when Dial played some of the best football in the world, so both are fantastic two way players.

I'll tell you what will probably happen though...both Vieira and Emerson will periodicly move forward to attack, basically taking turns with each other; if one goes up, the other one will cover. That's what normally happens with a straight 4 midfield, so I'm rather certain we will see both Emerson and Vieira taking turns helping out in attack. I'm just glad Blasi won't have to do that anymore..

OP
/usr/bin
Mar 6, 2005
  • Thread Starter #65
    Off Topic: Speaking of Blasi, what foot does he prefer? FM has him as either, but no one can use both feet equally..

I'm just curious..:D

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Jeeks ] ++

This is where the smartness of both players as well as Capello's will appear. None of them should be given a specific role rather alternating roles, one pushing forward and creating plays where the other covers. It is a wonderful combination and I think with Capello's love of two poles, Vieira is the best solution to partner Puma.
    That is exactly right Jeeks. For this to work we must have two players who are equally adept at attacking and defending, and we certainly have them in Emerson and Vieira.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    I wonder if that'd work though, the role alternating. Take Lampard and Gerrard for England for example, it has never worked before. Though Sven Goran obviously isn't Capello.
    It would be best to at least give both partially specific roles, at least until the midfielder partners have settled in playing together.
    The thing is though both Vieira and Emerson are better defensively than the English duo, and being the professionals as they are I don't really see a problem with the players switching and covering for each other. Even Blasi and Emerson switched with each other last year, and that worked out most of the time (except when Blasi gave the ball away). Hell, even when I play midfield with my team we do basically the same thing, so I don't really foresee a problem with them taking turns attacking. IMO that is when the straight four midfield is most lethal.

OP
    /usr/bin
    Mar 6, 2005
  • Thread Starter #69
    ++ [ originally posted by Arif ] ++

erm, Nedved, Zambrotta?
    Nedved may be an exception, but if you see his games, you'll see he depends on his right foot to control the ball, etc.

Zambrotta isn't that good with his left foot really.. He even lines up his crosses for his right foot, most of the time..

Boksic

May 11, 2005
    how can you say nobody in Juventus is Two-footed. Nedved is especially he can power long range shots on either foot, not to mention Del Piero, Zlatan, Mutu, Zambrotta.................

OP
    /usr/bin
    Mar 6, 2005
  • Thread Starter #72
    ++ [ originally posted by Boksic ] ++
    how can you say nobody in Juventus is Two-footed. Nedved is especially he can power long range shots on either foot, not to mention Del Piero, Zlatan, Mutu, Zambrotta.................
    I'm not talking about shots! I'm talking about the ball handling, the dribbling, everything! Nedved uses his right foot to dribble (mostly), and Zambrotta doesn't have that much of an affinity to using his left foot..

Qaterminator

Nov 15, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Nawaf ] ++

I'm not talking about shots! I'm talking about the ball handling, the dribbling, everything! Nedved uses his right foot to dribble (mostly), and Zambrotta doesn't have that much of an affinity to using his left foot..

but he was born left-footed so using the other foot dribbling well is a talent

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
    Blasi seems to be better with his left foot, but his passing isn't that good anyway so I could be wrong.

Sneijder is always saying that he is so good with his left foot, but he almost always uses his right.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

I'll tell you what will probably happen though...both Vieira and Emerson will periodicly move forward to attack, basically taking turns with each other; if one goes up, the other one will cover. That's what normally happens with a straight 4 midfield, so I'm rather certain we will see both Emerson and Vieira taking turns helping out in attack. I'm just glad Blasi won't have to do that anymore..
    Lets not forget, Vieira will be linking up with French teammate David Trezeguet in attack, quite the same way he did with Henry at Arsenal. Definitely think their understanding will develop quicker than one would think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)