Paris attacks (8 Viewers)

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
I mean I don't fully agree with the message the author is trying to convey, but I could imagine a hilarious Monty Python sketch based on this :D

- - - Updated - - -

icemaη;5141814 said:
The comments, as always, are pure gold :D
"As I have said before, a truth worth telling, is a truth worth dying for. We need to call out this evil for what it really is!

Obama's Islam is evil witchcraft. They sacrifice humans to satan. The burning, the beheading, and the sacrifice of virgins (children); Proof, allah is satan. They can disguise it as freedom of religion, but it is the biggest witchcraft death cult in the world. They think they can own us, to do with us as they please. No other civilization has ever been as evil, violent and bloody as they are. We need to get these people out of America! Our lives are not safe as long as they are here. We The People, the taxpayers should have a say in what is going on!!!!!!"
I'm not even able to decide whether that's sarcasm :D

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
:agree:

The idea that the 'West' is just one big illuminati mass is something even bright members here cultivate.

- - - Updated - - -

Been there, done that. But cheers..
I don't think many members actually see it this way. I think it's a way to represent the general state of this conflict without dropping into circumlocutory nonsense about who is exactly responsible for what, and what specific part they play, with every single comment made. It's a way to easily refer to an aspect of this conflict, and its historical context.

I think everyone understands that there isn't one big malicious entity making a mess of this world called "The West".

But at the same time, ignoring all historical context and the issues and anger created by Western nations in this region over the last 150 years really doesn't help anything either. You can't just tell a people to get over decades of oppression and persecution just because you're trying to help them now. Especially when you often have no idea of how to help them in a way they actually want.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean I don't fully agree with the message the author is trying to convey, but I could imagine a hilarious Monty Python sketch based on this :D
Monty Python. Exactly what I was thinking. :D

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
I don't think many members actually see it this way. I think it's a way to represent the general state of this conflict without dropping into circumlocutory nonsense about who is exactly responsible for what, and what specific part they play, with every single comment made. It's a way to easily refer to an aspect of this conflict, and its historical context.

I think everyone understands that there isn't one big malicious entity making a mess of this world called "The West".

But at the same time, ignoring all historical context and the issues and anger created by Western nations in this region over the last 150 years really doesn't help anything either. You can't just tell a people to get over decades of oppression and persecution just because you're trying to help them now. Especially when you often have no idea of how to help them in a way they actually want.

- - - Updated - - -

Monty Python. Exactly what I was thinking. :D
People jumped down my throat for perceived generalizations, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
But you told us you believed those generalizations...
And those thumbing up a comment that contended that a drone strike is more inhuman that Yazidi mass graves or any other ISIS barbarity, that it's solely the fault of the 'west' doesn't constitute the same level of perceived subscription to harmful generalisations.?

that's a load off
Anytime.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
And those thumbing up a comment that contended that a drone strike is more inhuman that Yazidi mass graves or any other ISIS barbarity, that it's solely the fault of the 'west' doesn't constitute the same level of perceived subscription to harmful generalisations.?

Anytime.
I can't speak for @king Ale, but what i got from that comment was that all sides of this conflict are committing inhumane atrocities, so to judge only one side as barbaric is hypocrisy at its finest, and is part of the reason this conflict continues to escalate.

Recognizing that Western nations are occupiers there, and have been occupiers there for 100+ years now, and recognizing the oppression and inhumanity doled out in that region both in the past and the present by Western nations, is essential to this conflict ever starting to lessen in ferocity.

Whether we like it or not, the conditions that bring such anger and hatred towards Western nations, were largely created by Western nations. It doesn't excuse the behaviour of ISIS, but nor should the actions of ISIS excuse the behaviour of Western nations.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Whether we like it or not, the conditions that bring such anger and hatred towards Western nations, were largely created by Western nations. It doesn't excuse the behaviour of ISIS, but nor should the actions of ISIS excuse the behaviour of Western nations.
Certainly the responsibility for creating the environment is there. The current problem seems to be about "cleaning up the mess" or letting the mess stagnate and continue to choke the public. Do you get rid of Ghaddafi or let him continue to rule? There aren't easy answers to that, and any one of those that you choose comes with casualties, power vacuums, and unforeseen ramifications.

In some ways, "The West" will continue to be blamed no matter what happens. It's become what "The Man" has become to black Americans in the 1960s.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Certainly the responsibility for creating the environment is there. The current problem seems to be about "cleaning up the mess" or letting the mess stagnate and continue to choke the public. Do you get rid of Ghaddafi or let him continue to rule? There aren't easy answers to that, and any one of those that you choose comes with casualties, power vacuums, and unforeseen ramifications.

In some ways, "The West" will continue to be blamed no matter what happens. It's become what "The Man" has become to black Americans in the 1960s.
:tup:

It's a ridiculously complex conflict any way you look at it, and at this point unfortunately, it seems like lose-lose no matter what choices are made.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
Do you get rid of Ghaddafi or let him continue to rule? There aren't easy answers to that, .
I cant see how there is any other answer to this question than a blatant "yes". Libya under Ghaddafi was far from paradise, with civil rights being virtually non existing. But lets not forget that there is a whole part of the universal declaration of human rights and the two major conventions that followed which has to do with social and economic rights - which Ghaddafi was fulfilling much better than the several Libyan governments are at the moment and will be in any foreseeable future.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
I cant see how there is any other answer to this question than a blatant "yes". Libya under Ghaddafi was far from paradise, with civil rights being virtually non existing. But lets not forget that there is a whole part of the universal declaration of human rights and the two major conventions that followed which has to do with social and economic rights - which Ghaddafi was fulfilling much better than the several Libyan governments are at the moment and will be in any foreseeable future.
But the real question is how much of this answer is due to hindsight.

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
As a middle easterner that's my concern how to deal with the dictatorship ruling my life. That's my business. Not yours. I'm oppressed, i don't have a democracy? That's my problem. Let me deal with it. My religion is violent? Fine, leave it for me. Just stay the heck out of my country. Educate yourself as to how the middle east and its people have been screwed over by the west + russia forever. If IZ's colleague's death is a personal matter for him i have lost two cousins and A LOT of relatives in a war europe and the US fueled and funded. I lived my childhood in that war. Who did saddam get his weapons from? The same people who invaded iraq later and destabilized the region. Who created al-ghaeda? Who funded taliban? This is on the west, whether you like it or not. As if we didn't already have enough with the dictatorships we were dealing with. And now the ridiculous thing is that these super civilized super humane citizens of the world riding their high horses calling muslims barbarians. As heinous and scary as Daesh's methods are, tell me how they are more dangerous to humanity than are drone strikes that are unmatched in their inhumanity? Even today, how come bombing Raqqa by France is okay in your book? Only to get rid of the mess they created, helped, funded in the first place disregarding the innocent human beings (who are as low in value as a stupid number) who live there?

This is not directed at you specifically, i respect you a lot, and i'm angry, but to me as a middle easterner who doesn't believe in islam, this is all on the west.
:star: :touched:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)