Paris attacks (19 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
So you think millions and millions of Islamic people are psychopathic for supporting ISIS?

Part of the problem is people suggesting that ISIS is misinterpreting the Koran, and not actually following scripture... Which is wholly untrue... ISIS is really the first organization to really follow scripture, and sharia in hundreds of years. They have established the first Caliphate in a hundred years, and consider even previous one's false as they did not fully follow Sharia. ISIS follows it literally, to the T. This isn't a religion being manipulated or misinterpreted or modified... it's the full expression of a medieval religion gaining traction in a literal fashion in the modern world. ISIS wants that Medieval world back, and so do their followers.
Btw, you must have seen that follow-up The Atlantic bit that called out that previous (and good) The Atlantic piece, saying that ISIS is just devoutly following some Medieval version of Islam is bunk:

The Phony Islam of ISIS
http://www.theatlantic.com/internat...hat-muslims-really-want-isis-atlantic/386156/

The notion being that ISIS doesn't so much follow scripture like fundamentalists, but rather they selectively sample it like The Beastie Boys on Paul's Boutique -- selectively choosing the parts that fit their agenda while ignoring the rest.

Which is kind of like what climate change deniers and anti-vaxxers do. The difference is we don't call those people literal interpretationalists of fundamentalist science. That's just bad, fake science.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Btw, you must have seen that follow-up The Atlantic bit that called out that previous (and good) The Atlantic piece, saying that ISIS is just devoutly following some Medieval version of Islam is bunk:

The Phony Islam of ISIS
http://www.theatlantic.com/internat...hat-muslims-really-want-isis-atlantic/386156/

The notion being that ISIS doesn't so much follow scripture like fundamentalists, but rather they selectively sample it like The Beastie Boys on Paul's Boutique -- selectively choosing the parts that fit their agenda while ignoring the rest.

Which is kind of like what climate change deniers and anti-vaxxers do. The difference is we don't call those people literal interpretationalists of fundamentalist science. That's just bad, fake science.
:tup:

Ocelot and I were talking about that article earlier, and there was another article on ThinkProgress where Haykel, from the original article, clarifies some of the things the author left out.

I was definitely both simplifying and overstating it above... and I was wrong. 'twas my mistake. I suppose what I was trying to get across was that ISIS cannot be called un-Islamic, and that aspect of the original article I agree with. Now, one can certainly disagree with them, and their attempted "literal" expression of the very earliest form of Islam (while ignoring the subsequent several hundred years of development the religion has undergone)... But I don't think saying that ISIS is not Islamic is the way to approach this.

Like you say, they are selective in sampling scripture they claim to follow literally, or so it seems from other pieces I have read. Now, the same could be said of most of Islam, and most of Christianity, and most of Judaism in today's world, as to not following scripture literally, but selectively... The difference being ISIS focuses on the brutal and violent aspects of scripture.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012

States saying no. Finally.
This is such a convenient and selfish move.They just needed an convenient excuse like this to not accept refugees.
If I am correct, Obama has already rejected that idea.He was people should be screened before gaining entry into their respective countries or something along those lines.
I

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
So you think millions and millions of Islamic people are psychopathic for supporting ISIS?

Part of the problem is people suggesting that ISIS is misinterpreting the Koran, and not actually following scripture... Which is wholly untrue... ISIS is really the first organization to really follow scripture, and sharia in hundreds of years. They have established the first Caliphate in a hundred years, and consider even previous one's false as they did not fully follow Sharia. ISIS follows it literally, to the T. This isn't a religion being manipulated or misinterpreted or modified... it's the full expression of a medieval religion gaining traction in a literal fashion in the modern world. ISIS wants that Medieval world back, and so do their followers.
Shame on you.

Why must people pretend they're so enlightened when they're nothing but sheep. Using nothing but tunnel vision to analyze and reach ridiculous conclusions. Take a long hard look at yourself and your own so called superior and modern world before judging others and others beliefs.

There's consequence to everything. Decades and centuries of meddling with other peoples affairs, stealing their natural resources, deposing and placing ruthless dictators whose crimes have and continue to go unnoticed, supporting proxy wars, etc. etc. all these things have a domino effect. You can refuse to admit it but history speaks for itself, the monsters that exist today, their seeds were laid with the help of many hands both in the East and the West. Now they're coming to bite the hand that fed them. Let's try to remember what triggered the War on Terror, a certain man by the name of Osama bin Laden, an ex-ally, who with the support and funding of the CIA brainwashed several generations of aimless men who were then discarded and left to do as they wished. I wonder what the world would look like if Afghanistan had been offered something like the Marshall plan? Maybe then the Taliban, perhaps the first modern offspring of the "Mujahideen" (labelled as Freedom Fighters by the politicians and the media aka the sheep herders) wouldn't have existed or found a suitable environment in which to cultivate. Maybe then there wouldn't be millions of Afghan refugees with all their baggage the world had to deal with it.

Now just go country by country, look at its history over the past century and ask yourself, is it really "Islamic" extremism you're fighting? Or is that simply the facade? Are 1.5 billion people truly all of a sudden bat shit crazy and want to return the world to the middle ages? :sergio: Ffs, open a book.

PS: This post was made possible through the extraction of Coltan, a rare/hard to come by metal ore, found in very modern and advanced countries like Rwanda, Uganda, and the Congo. No civil wars or deaths were caused in the extraction of coltan because such an accusation against liberal peace loving countries would be absolutely insane. Only Muslims like to fight and kill each other...it's in their literature, everyone knows that. Our constitution is all about smoking that peace pipe and spreading the love yo. Thanks for reading.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
Junkies and Dealers both share personal responsibility for their actions, the same is true here.

If either side, the 'Muslim' world or the 'West' wholly blame each other, they are wholly ignorant.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Shame on you.

Why must people pretend they're so enlightened when they're nothing but sheep. Using nothing but tunnel vision to analyze and reach ridiculous conclusions. Take a long hard look at yourself and your own so called superior and modern world before judging others and others beliefs.

There's consequence to everything. Decades and centuries of meddling with other peoples affairs, stealing their natural resources, deposing and placing ruthless dictators whose crimes have and continue to go unnoticed, supporting proxy wars, etc. etc. all these things have a domino effect. You can refuse to admit it but history speaks for itself, the monsters that exist today, their seeds were laid with the help of many hands both in the East and the West. Now they're coming to bite the hand that fed them. Let's try to remember what triggered the War on Terror, a certain man by the name of Osama bin Laden, an ex-ally, who with the support and funding of the CIA brainwashed several generations of aimless men who were then discarded and left to do as they wished. I wonder what the world would look like if Afghanistan had been offered something like the Marshall plan? Maybe then the Taliban, perhaps the first modern offspring of the "Mujahideen" (labelled as Freedom Fighters by the politicians and the media aka the sheep herders) wouldn't have existed or found a suitable environment in which to cultivate. Maybe then there wouldn't be millions of Afghan refugees with all their baggage the world had to deal with it.

Now just go country by country, look at its history over the past century and ask yourself, is it really "Islamic" extremism you're fighting? Or is that simply the facade? Are 1.5 billion people truly all of a sudden bat shit crazy and want to return the world to the middle ages? :sergio: Ffs, open a book.

PS: This post was made possible through the extraction of Coltan, a rare/hard to come by metal ore, found in very modern and advanced countries like Rwanda, Uganda, and the Congo. No civil wars or deaths were caused in the extraction of coltan because such an accusation against liberal peace loving countries would be absolutely insane. Only Muslims like to fight and kill each other...it's in their literature, everyone knows that. Our constitution is all about smoking that peace pipe and spreading the love yo. Thanks for reading.
He's not wrong. If you follow the Koran you can easily do what ISIS does. If you follow the Bible, crusades are possible. We act as if it's not Islam or not Christianity, but it is.

Thankfully most muslims and christians have the common sense to apply these books in a modern world and not actually follow them literally.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Shame on you.

Where on earth did I say 1.5 billion Islamic people are batshit crazy? And where exactly did I state that most Islamic people support ISIS? I said ISIS and its supporters are espousing a Medieval version of Islam, that is filled with brutality and violence. Not dissimilar from viewpoints of Christianity and Judaism espoused throughout the past, by even institutions as prevalent as the Catholic Church. I already said I went too far in saying that ISIS was a literal exposition of early Islam. Right here. Here's the post.

:tup:

Ocelot and I were talking about that article earlier, and there was another article on ThinkProgress where Haykel, from the original article, clarifies some of the things the author left out.

I was definitely both simplifying and overstating it above... and I was wrong. 'twas my mistake. I suppose what I was trying to get across was that ISIS cannot be called un-Islamic, and that aspect of the original article I agree with. Now, one can certainly disagree with them, and their attempted "literal" expression of the very earliest form of Islam (while ignoring the subsequent several hundred years of development the religion has undergone)... But I don't think saying that ISIS is not Islamic is the way to approach this.

Like you say, they are selective in sampling scripture they claim to follow literally, or so it seems from other pieces I have read. Now, the same could be said of most of Islam, and most of Christianity, and most of Judaism in today's world, as to not following scripture literally, but selectively... The difference being ISIS focuses on the brutal and violent aspects of scripture.
So take it easy there bud and don't be ridiculous. My entire set of posts in this thread and the others has literally been arguing the side of Islam and the issue with the West trying to take all historical context and atrocities committed out of the equation.

- - - Updated - - -

He's not wrong. If you follow the Koran you can easily do what ISIS does. If you follow the Bible, crusades are possible. We act as if it's not Islam or not Christianity, but it is.

Thankfully most muslims and christians have the common sense to apply these books in a modern world and not actually follow them literally.
:agree:

He's clearly not read a single other one of my posts in these threads, which have been pretty much exclusively pro-Islam, and defending the anger and frustration that is being felt towards a history of oppression and occupation by western powers. Aside from that, I've almost stated the exact same thing he just did verbatim.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)