Paolo De Ceglie (64 Viewers)

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
the most obvious flaw is, that he has no clue what to do with the ball, when he is on the wing and there is some defender in a range of 10 metres ...

thats what i like about grosso... he does take on the defender... tries to go past him and deliver the cross ... does change speed and then accelerates to find that little space he needs to put the cross in.

de ceglie is so fucking afraid of an opponent he does either run in circles or just pass it back to safety...

in terms of attacking skill grosso is at least one class above de ceglie

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Sure you don't mean the one with his left, from the right?
That's the one I remember... wish we could finally see Amauri bury another one...

Im pretty sure that cross was left footed but regardless DC's right foot is not that bad. I can understand the criticism he receives in certain areas but his weak foot ability is not one of them
It really amazes me that someone picked that out as one of DC's main weaknesses. He has plenty but that's not one of the big ones.
I obviously disagree... I can't really remember him ever cutting in to the middle with the ball on his right foot to take on a defender, or for a shot on goal... I don't remember any right footed crosses, etc. For me, he nearly always goes wide left, or passes backwards. But no big deal.

Frankly, It really surprised me Curr when you said that Grygera was far from our worst player...

:biggrin:

Anyway, I'm happy to have De Ceglie in the squad. Ideally he wouldn't be starting, but here we are, so hopefully he proves me wrong and makes the most of this opportunity. He had a pretty decent game against Lazio.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
Sure you don't mean the one with his left, from the right?
Im pretty sure that cross was left footed but regardless DC's right foot is not that bad. I can understand the criticism he receives in certain areas but his weak foot ability is not one of them
My bad, it was his left foot :snoop:
the most obvious flaw is, that he has no clue what to do with the ball, when he is on the wing and there is some defender in a range of 10 metres ...

thats what i like about grosso... he does take on the defender... tries to go past him and deliver the cross ... does change speed and then accelerates to find that little space he needs to put the cross in.

de ceglie is so fucking afraid of an opponent he does either run in circles or just pass it back to safety...

in terms of attacking skill grosso is at least one class above de ceglie
I have no idea which grosso you're referring to there. The only taking on defenders I've seen were horrible attempts that were closed down with one step and anything that involved kicking the ball into them to get throw ins. Even his crossing, which was something he was actually good at is Molinaroisc.

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
My bad, it was his left foot :snoop:

I have no idea which grosso you're referring to there. The only taking on defenders I've seen were horrible attempts that were closed down with one step and anything that involved kicking the ball into them to get throw ins. Even his crossing, which was something he was actually good at is Molinaroisc.
you really have to be biased or not watching our games to have missed that grosso is a whole classe above de ceglie ... he does not take on defenders and try to find a way to cross ?

just watch the scene at 1:48 and you will see exactly what i mean..

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I kinda also remember a cross from De Ceglie, when he was on left, but turned to his right foot and crossed a lovely ball to Amauri, it may be just a wet dream of mine though :D

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
you really have to be biased or not watching our games to have missed that grosso is a whole classe above de ceglie ... he does not take on defenders and try to find a way to cross ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6rj_HFyKUw

just watch the scene at 1:48 and you will see exactly what i mean..
I didn't say that De Ceglie is better.

That clip was from his time at Inter, he isn't doing this consistently for us and that is precisely why we brought him here. Someone who consistently deliver in that left full back position.

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
yeah he does not do that consistently for us, while de ceglie never ever (this season) did even manage to cross when "marked" even though he plays in a more attacking position ... so right now i do not see anything that de ceglie has over grosso other then youth

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
So, according to Tuttosport Zaccheroni really has faith in De Ceglie and is going to make him a bigger part of the team. Thats nice, for DC at least. Not for us though. But thats Italy, the defensive players get the chance while the young offensive and creative players get neglected.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
DC's first performance at LB under Zacc was a much improved performance compared to his and Grosso's previous showings at LB this season. I'm not opposed to him getting another chance to play since his form seems to be improving and hes never gotten an extended run in the team to prove himself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 64)