Other Leagues 2023-24 (9 Viewers)

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
You're right, football is definitely the driver of sectarianism in west of Scotland. It seems like it slips into every day life because some people can't separate it into a 90 minute game and seems to influence their other decisions (hiring staff / voting etc), which is crazy when you think about it.

As an outsider I'd agree your take that Celtic fans aren't as bad is probably a little bias. I'm pretty sure the red stripe on Rangers sock is a myth and relates to colours of Govan/Shipyard (the stripes were in existence before the song, I've also never met a Rangers fan who believes the myth). I've also seen effigies of orangemen hanging in Celtic Park and a large amount of fans signing about orange b*stards. To me both are as bad as each other and would prefer if the rivalry never existed. I'd also agree that the majority of Rangers fans will have absolutely no idea who Billy Fullerton is.

Anyway I don't think it is going anywhere and certainly not this weekend.

How did you end up in Montevideo? Did you speak Spanish before going?
Do you have a Scottish team? Curious if you were brought up in the Celtic/Rangers dichotomy but dropped the whole thing or if you support a different team or none at all.

I left Scotland in 2015 I think it was to teach English abroad. Wanted to do something different and figured I'd get people to pay me to travel. Randomly selected a job in Mexico, met a lassie there and after I'd been in Mexico a year we moved to Uruguay together more or less as a random pick as well. It never worked out with her, but I ended up staying in Montevideo for 4 years in total. I'd love to go back at least to visit, and maybe to live. It's fuckin expensive though, I'd probably only go back permanently if I was making really solid money. I knew a tiny bit of Spanish before I left, but more or less started from scratch and by the time I'd come home again (about 5 years in latin america) it was pretty good and natural.

You always lived in Scotland (presuming you do now?) or have you moved about a bit?

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jul 15, 2006
In Uruguay? I lived in Montevideo from I think 2016-2019. Weed was long since legal, but I've never been into it really so I barely touched it.

Actually it was legal to possess and grow a certain amount at home (two plants was the standard) and that amount increased if you joined and registered with a grower's club. There was some uproar about that because if a future administration reversed the legal status of weed they would have a list of people likely to still be using it. Also it wasn't legal to buy unless from licensed sellers- and they were still in the process of working out how to implement that. In the end they went with pharmacies being the ones allowed to sell it, and you'd often see HUGE queues outside pharmacies of people waiting to buy weed lmao.

The legal way around it was when you bought weed off somebody was that it wasn't a transaction. They'd give you some weed as a "present", and then you'd give them an unrelated "present" of some cash. So it obviously wasn't an enforceable ban, but it wasn't an issue anyway because everybody knew somebody who was in a club, or grew it at home. Weed was everywhere, in my main friends group 4 or 5 of them were in clubs and they'd all swap strains and stuff.

Montevideo is great if you like a chilled city. On Sunday literally everything shuts down. When they party they party all night. I've heard there are some clubs that open in like late morning for people who are still going strong lmao. They work incredibly hard as well, and everybody is way over educated as well. It's a great wee country to live in. Some say its not that interesting to visit as a tourist and I do understand that. Buenos Aires has more touristy stuff and is beautiful, I love BsAs, but it'd be a different vibe to live there.
Thanks for typing this out ser — hope to visit it one day it's on the bucketlist

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
Thanks for typing this out ser — hope to visit it one day it's on the bucketlist
You can visit the national stadium, which is where the first world cup was played. It hasnt been changed in any meaningful way, and the football museum they have inside is full of cool stuff from the Uruguay national team's history.

There's also a Celtic scarf I donated, because I noticed they didn't have anything about the Copa Internacional final in 1967 between Celtic and Racing of Buenos Aires - the playoff was in Uruguay because the tie was equal after the games in Glasgow and Buenos Aires. It's a great football story worth telling, and an interesting part of the history of that stadium. Hopefully they'll have put something up about it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_Intercontinental_Cup

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Unbelievable achievement by Mark Robins to get Coventry into the Championship playoffs with one of the smaller budgets in the league. They are 2-3 years ahead of schedule. Now anything can happen.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
How about this from League One playoff semis:

Sheffield Wednesday (Weds) finished 3rd in the league on 96 points (it's a 24-team league), a record tally for a team not automatically promoted. Played Peterborough (Posh) in the semis first leg away, who finished 19 points behind them in the league in 6th.

Posh won their home leg 4--0. Weds looked doomed, everyone saying what a bottle job, their manager getting all sorts of abuse (despite a 96 point season), even racist abuse from one dickhead on Twitter (who has now been banned).

Second leg last night, Weds got two early goals, got a third on the hour, got the 4th to tie overall in 98th minute! Went to ET, Posh went ahead after a Weds OG, Weds got it back to 5-5 on aggregate, and then won 5-3 on penalties!

One of the best comebacks and spectacles you're likely to see.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Jesus fucking Christ, Luton should be 3-0 up. City players absolutely shitting themselves lmao.

Oh well, least there is still a half to play.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Oh well, maybe another time. Absolute miracle to get to the playoff final with that squad lmao, so many injuries and tight finances. Dabo who missed the decider is barely League One quality these days.

Fair play to Luton.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
You are the third non swede asking me about him today lol

First time hearing the name. I dont watch the domestic league, and mainly hear about hype about players in Stockholm (close by),, Malmö as Southern team might aswell be in Denmark Tho they are the best club, only club that qualifies as a fully professional one competitive or infrastructure wise.

Jul 15, 2006
You are the third non swede asking me about him today lol

First time hearing the name. I dont watch the domestic league, and mainly hear about hype about players in Stockholm (close by),, Malmö as Southern team might aswell be in Denmark Tho they are the best club, only club that qualifies as a fully professional one competitive or infrastructure wise.
copy ty

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)