Other Leagues 2023-24 (8 Viewers)

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
FeralpiSalo (Lake Garda) for first time ever in Serie B. They have a really shit stadiun, it doens't match the requirements for Serie B, so they should make some investments to make their stadium up-to-date this summer, otherwise they need to play in another stadium.

Catanzaro back in Serie B, their stadium has the same problem and doens't fit the requirements. I like them, so I am happy for them.
Catanzaro scored most goals in ALL professional competitions in the world, they scored already 102 goals this season!
Calabria :heart:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
With 6 games to play Celtic have scored 103 goals in 33 games. The single-season record I believe is 106 (also was Celtic in 2017, under Brendan Rodgers)

Our goal difference is currently +78, and Rangers are 2nd in the league with 81 total goals scored. Remarkable.

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
Allegri would break that record
He'd have Celtic parking the bus against Kilmarnock and St Johnstone, never mind in the Champions League.

By comparison Postecoglu had us going at Madrid and playing them off the park for 45 minutes. In the whole CL group stage Celtic had 83 shots and only 3 goals scored (plus one OG). Imagine if Juventus had the luxury of being limited mainly by poor finishing rather than by poor coaching

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
Celtic and Jj of course.
Hmmm interesting. I think this Celtic would easily survive in this Serie A. We'd be with that group from Bologna downwards who are on 40-something points and about 10 off the leaders.

As a paranoid Celtic fan with a persecution complex I must inform you that Scottish football is just as biased and corrupt as Italian football, and as good catholic italian boys Juventus would be targeted by the establishment. Meanwhile without Celtic to hate, Rangers would no longer have a reason to exist and would simply dissolve (again)- leaving Juventus to bask in an endless stream of league titles in spite of institutional bias and have no realistic chances of winning European silverware. In other words we might as well stay in Italy :grin:

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Hmmm interesting. I think this Celtic would easily survive in this Serie A. We'd be with that group from Bologna downwards who are on 40-something points and about 10 off the leaders.

As a paranoid Celtic fan with a persecution complex I must inform you that Scottish football is just as biased and corrupt as Italian football, and as good catholic italian boys Juventus would be targeted by the establishment. Meanwhile without Celtic to hate, Rangers would no longer have a reason to exist and would simply dissolve (again)- leaving Juventus to bask in an endless stream of league titles in spite of institutional bias and have no realistic chances of winning European silverware. In other words we might as well stay in Italy :grin:
Isn't that alone worth if for you as Celtic fan :p

Boksic

May 11, 2005

I find it funny hearing both sides of the old firm's views. Both seem to be the victim of bias/corruption and claim the other is obsessed with them.

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
I find it funny hearing both sides of the old firm's views. Both seem to be the victim of bias/corruption and claim the other is obsessed with them.
Ah I was being self-deprecating :grin: Being real, imo the anti-catholic bias in Scotland and Glasgow in general has dissipated in a big way in the past 30 years. I've never been a practicing catholic but I did go to catholic schools all the way to 6th year and have a hella Irish name. I've experienced almost nothing (that I've noticed) in the way of discrimination my whole life. It seems like it was previously a much bigger deal.

Specifically with football I don't think there's any organised anti-Celtic effort. Football is business, and people are atheists now. There will always be some bias here or there in something as partisan as football but nah there's not the protestant establishment that there used to be. As for Rangers fans seeing some kind of anti-Rangers, pro-Celtic bias I think it's laughable. At least the Celtic/Glasgow irish catholic paranoia is based on historical precedent.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
Ah I was being self-deprecating :grin: Being real, imo the anti-catholic bias in Scotland and Glasgow in general has dissipated in a big way in the past 30 years. I've never been a practicing catholic but I did go to catholic schools all the way to 6th year and have a hella Irish name. I've experienced almost nothing (that I've noticed) in the way of discrimination my whole life. It seems like it was previously a much bigger deal.

Specifically with football I don't think there's any organised anti-Celtic effort. Football is business, and people are atheists now. There will always be some bias here or there in something as partisan as football but nah there's not the protestant establishment that there used to be. As for Rangers fans seeing some kind of anti-Rangers, pro-Celtic bias I think it's laughable. At least the Celtic/Glasgow irish catholic paranoia is based on historical precedent.
I can genuinely say that I have witnessed far more anti-protestant sectarianism in my life (workplace, comments from people I know, graffiti) than anti-catholic. Sadly both exist but it sometimes feels like one is taken seriously and the other laughed off. Even the tweet from Aberdeen the other day has sectarian meaning but is brushed off, I don't think people realise what words are sectarian. It brings out the absolute worst in old firm fans..

While you have a country split in two you will always have bias/paranoia. If someone is in a position of power on the opposite side from the other it can lead to it.

The problem is it doesn't look like ever going away, maybe not having separate schools would help but don't think any government would want to be the ones to do it.

Anyway, as a non old firm fan with friends on both sides, I always find it funny how each fanbase basically says the exact same thing about the other and completely dismiss the other's views.

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
I can genuinely say that I have witnessed far more anti-protestant sectarianism in my life (workplace, comments from people I know, graffiti) than anti-catholic. Sadly both exist but it sometimes feels like one is taken seriously and the other laughed off. Even the tweet from Aberdeen the other day has sectarian meaning but is brushed off, I don't think people realise what words are sectarian. It brings out the absolute worst in old firm fans..
If me posting the Aberdeen thing offended you I apologise unreservedly, mate. I'll delete it as well.

The whole thing is very complex in the way that certain things are connected and associated. For example the 'hun' word as far as I understand is because of the German roots of the royal family, right? Hun obviously being a slur aimed at Germans. So to call a Rangers fan a 'hun' in Glasgow is because of their connection to the Queen I presume (the King sorry, I keep doing that lol). But when a Rangers fan holds up a union flag with the Queen's face on it is that mainly a display of religious devotion, or political allegiance to the union and/or great britain? Or simply a collection of symbols connected with Rangers? I think at this point it's mostly the last one. I don't think most who sing The Billy Boys even know who Billy Fullerton was, or what he did or that the song is about him. If they did know I suspect they wouldn't sing it any more, or maybe they would argue that at this point it's more a Rangers song than a literal fascist anthem.

You could apply that same thread to the Celtic support. Most of us are 4 or 5 generations removed from Ireland by now. Most of us under 35 too young to really remember The Troubles as well. Singing The Soldier's Song during games is mostly part of the Celtic cannon at this point rather than expressing national pride via singing Ireland's national anthem, or support for one side in a civil war which has been over for 25 years.

I had a point when I started writing this but I've forgotten. It may come across as me saying 'both sides are as bad as each other', but being honest with you I don't actually believe that. The Billy Boys, the red stripe on the sock, the famine song etc. I've been to 100+ games at Parkhead and I'm well aware the Celtic support isn't comprised by choruses of angels but there is no equivalent to those at Celtic. I do recognise that's probably my bias.

Ah I remembered my point - I think the sectarianism in Scotland (glasgow more specifically) is being kept alive as a feature of life largely because of the association to the football. The '90-minute bigot'. I don't know how to remove it from the equation. Police surveillance of the fans doesn't do anything because 10'000 fans are not going to get banned every time The Celtic Symphony gets sung. Fining the clubs doesn't work, because the fans do fundraisers and give the excess to charity. Growing up, kids are friends with whoever and everybody's cool with everybody, and then they learn this nonsense in stadiums and take it on board as part of supporting a football team. It'll take time but I think at least the genuine vitriol is fading away. It's not gone yet but I do think things are better now than they used to be. The years without Rangers actually helped create a bit of a gap, but now they're back at the top (well...almost lmao) it's all come back. My Dad, who took me to the games but was not a practicing catholic either, always shielded me from the 'up the ra' and all that, and I never grew up with any of that inside me. It can be done.

While you have a country split in two you will always have bias/paranoia. If someone is in a position of power on the opposite side from the other it can lead to it.
Definitely. We saw the same or similar with the indyref and again with Brexit.

The problem is it doesn't look like ever going away, maybe not having separate schools would help but don't think any government would want to be the ones to do it.
I wonder if in a generation or so this will be the way forward. I really think most people are basically atheists every day of the week except Saturday. Once the boomers and Gen X are away and the millenials are the grandas- Gen Z won't give a fuck what school their weans go to as long as it's the best one available. Access to the internet has opened a lot of peoples' eyes to how petty all this nonsense is. Having lived abroad myself and explaining the Celtic - Rangers rivalry it never seemed a big enough deal to have all these years of aggro over, because in the wider context it really isn't. Gen Z are growing up understanding that. Most of the patter these days is about who's won more trophies and stuff. We won't see another episode like around Boruc blessing himself at Ibrox if you remember that? That was the last religion-based scandal I think we'll get between Celtic and Rangers. Good riddance to it.

Anyway, as a non old firm fan with friends on both sides, I always find it funny how each fanbase basically says the exact same thing about the other and completely dismiss the other's views.
Always noticed this myself lol. It's the same with us on Tuz and the FIF users lol, zero perspective or empathy. I just wish it was all based on football and not on religion or race like in Glasgow, or whatever the hell you'd call what's going on around Juve atm.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011

So you're Scottish with Irish ancestry but live in Uruguay (unless I'm confusing you with someone else)?

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
So you're Scottish with Irish ancestry but live in Uruguay (unless I'm confusing you with someone else)?
Nah that's me. Not in Uruguay any more, back in Scotland for a few years, just too lazy to change my Tuz location :tup:

- - - Updated - - -

A lot of Scots have Irish ancestry - either from millenia ago or from a century or two ago. A lot of the culture is pretty similar as well. I've never thought about myself as Irish whatsoever, but it is something I've seen some people cling onto as a part of their identity. It's a whole confusing, convoluted and at times violent thing in Glasgow especially- being typically Irish/catholic/left-wing/anti-monarchy/Celtic fan on one side vs British/protestant/right-wing/pro-monarchy/Rangers fan on the other.

As I said in the above book I wrote, I feel like a lot of it is centred around the football team as a key part of the identity rather than the religion or race at this point. I know you didn't ask about that part but I wrote it anyway :grin:

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Nah that's me. Not in Uruguay any more, back in Scotland for a few years, just too lazy to change my Tuz location :tup:

- - - Updated - - -

A lot of Scots have Irish ancestry - either from millenia ago or from a century or two ago. A lot of the culture is pretty similar as well. I've never thought about myself as Irish whatsoever, but it is something I've seen some people cling onto as a part of their identity. It's a whole confusing, convoluted and at times violent thing in Glasgow especially- being typically Irish/catholic/left-wing/anti-monarchy/Celtic fan on one side vs British/protestant/right-wing/pro-monarchy/Rangers fan on the other.

As I said in the above book I wrote, I feel like a lot of it is centred around the football team as a key part of the identity rather than the religion or race at this point. I know you didn't ask about that part but I wrote it anyway :grin:
It's interesting so I appreciate it :agree:

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
It's interesting so I appreciate it :agree:
This is ten years old and as I've said above to Boksic I do think things have improved since then, and a part of that was when Rangers were liquidated and so vanished for several years while they returned from the bottom of the Scottish football pyramid. That gap without any meaningful derbies did calm the city down a bit but it has fair come back.

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
Wow where abouts? Was weed already legal at that point? Remember watching Vice video on that
In Uruguay? I lived in Montevideo from I think 2016-2019. Weed was long since legal, but I've never been into it really so I barely touched it.

Actually it was legal to possess and grow a certain amount at home (two plants was the standard) and that amount increased if you joined and registered with a grower's club. There was some uproar about that because if a future administration reversed the legal status of weed they would have a list of people likely to still be using it. Also it wasn't legal to buy unless from licensed sellers- and they were still in the process of working out how to implement that. In the end they went with pharmacies being the ones allowed to sell it, and you'd often see HUGE queues outside pharmacies of people waiting to buy weed lmao.

The legal way around it was when you bought weed off somebody was that it wasn't a transaction. They'd give you some weed as a "present", and then you'd give them an unrelated "present" of some cash. So it obviously wasn't an enforceable ban, but it wasn't an issue anyway because everybody knew somebody who was in a club, or grew it at home. Weed was everywhere, in my main friends group 4 or 5 of them were in clubs and they'd all swap strains and stuff.

Montevideo is great if you like a chilled city. On Sunday literally everything shuts down. When they party they party all night. I've heard there are some clubs that open in like late morning for people who are still going strong lmao. They work incredibly hard as well, and everybody is way over educated as well. It's a great wee country to live in. Some say its not that interesting to visit as a tourist and I do understand that. Buenos Aires has more touristy stuff and is beautiful, I love BsAs, but it'd be a different vibe to live there.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
If me posting the Aberdeen thing offended you I apologise unreservedly, mate. I'll delete it as well.

The whole thing is very complex in the way that certain things are connected and associated. For example the 'hun' word as far as I understand is because of the German roots of the royal family, right? Hun obviously being a slur aimed at Germans. So to call a Rangers fan a 'hun' in Glasgow is because of their connection to the Queen I presume (the King sorry, I keep doing that lol). But when a Rangers fan holds up a union flag with the Queen's face on it is that mainly a display of religious devotion, or political allegiance to the union and/or great britain? Or simply a collection of symbols connected with Rangers? I think at this point it's mostly the last one. I don't think most who sing The Billy Boys even know who Billy Fullerton was, or what he did or that the song is about him. If they did know I suspect they wouldn't sing it any more, or maybe they would argue that at this point it's more a Rangers song than a literal fascist anthem.

You could apply that same thread to the Celtic support. Most of us are 4 or 5 generations removed from Ireland by now. Most of us under 35 too young to really remember The Troubles as well. Singing The Soldier's Song during games is mostly part of the Celtic cannon at this point rather than expressing national pride via singing Ireland's national anthem, or support for one side in a civil war which has been over for 25 years.

I had a point when I started writing this but I've forgotten. It may come across as me saying 'both sides are as bad as each other', but being honest with you I don't actually believe that. The Billy Boys, the red stripe on the sock, the famine song etc. I've been to 100+ games at Parkhead and I'm well aware the Celtic support isn't comprised by choruses of angels but there is no equivalent to those at Celtic. I do recognise that's probably my bias.

Ah I remembered my point - I think the sectarianism in Scotland (glasgow more specifically) is being kept alive as a feature of life largely because of the association to the football. The '90-minute bigot'. I don't know how to remove it from the equation. Police surveillance of the fans doesn't do anything because 10'000 fans are not going to get banned every time The Celtic Symphony gets sung. Fining the clubs doesn't work, because the fans do fundraisers and give the excess to charity. Growing up, kids are friends with whoever and everybody's cool with everybody, and then they learn this nonsense in stadiums and take it on board as part of supporting a football team. It'll take time but I think at least the genuine vitriol is fading away. It's not gone yet but I do think things are better now than they used to be. The years without Rangers actually helped create a bit of a gap, but now they're back at the top (well...almost lmao) it's all come back. My Dad, who took me to the games but was not a practicing catholic either, always shielded me from the 'up the ra' and all that, and I never grew up with any of that inside me. It can be done.

Definitely. We saw the same or similar with the indyref and again with Brexit.

I wonder if in a generation or so this will be the way forward. I really think most people are basically atheists every day of the week except Saturday. Once the boomers and Gen X are away and the millenials are the grandas- Gen Z won't give a fuck what school their weans go to as long as it's the best one available. Access to the internet has opened a lot of peoples' eyes to how petty all this nonsense is. Having lived abroad myself and explaining the Celtic - Rangers rivalry it never seemed a big enough deal to have all these years of aggro over, because in the wider context it really isn't. Gen Z are growing up understanding that. Most of the patter these days is about who's won more trophies and stuff. We won't see another episode like around Boruc blessing himself at Ibrox if you remember that? That was the last religion-based scandal I think we'll get between Celtic and Rangers. Good riddance to it.

Always noticed this myself lol. It's the same with us on Tuz and the FIF users lol, zero perspective or empathy. I just wish it was all based on football and not on religion or race like in Glasgow, or whatever the hell you'd call what's going on around Juve atm.
You're right, football is definitely the driver of sectarianism in west of Scotland. It seems like it slips into every day life because some people can't separate it into a 90 minute game and seems to influence their other decisions (hiring staff / voting etc), which is crazy when you think about it.

As an outsider I'd agree your take that Celtic fans aren't as bad is probably a little bias. I'm pretty sure the red stripe on Rangers sock is a myth and relates to colours of Govan/Shipyard (the stripes were in existence before the song, I've also never met a Rangers fan who believes the myth). I've also seen effigies of orangemen hanging in Celtic Park and a large amount of fans signing about orange b*stards. To me both are as bad as each other and would prefer if the rivalry never existed. I'd also agree that the majority of Rangers fans will have absolutely no idea who Billy Fullerton is.

Anyway I don't think it is going anywhere and certainly not this weekend.

How did you end up in Montevideo? Did you speak Spanish before going?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)