Old-school Football (Anything pre-2000's) (3 Viewers)

PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
@CrimsonianKing @PedroFlu

Writing a piece on Brazil vs Argentina at Italia '90, Diego's legendary run through half the Brazil team etc, you guys any recollections of that game and what's the brazilian take on it after all these years? I know Lazaroni wasn't really like because he tried to adapt an european approach.

Any insight would be appreciated!
Pretty much what crimsonian said. It's seen as a poor generation. But irrelevant when the 7 goals are still in fresh memory.

And the most incredible part: 2 years later, David Luiz and Fernandinho are still starters. Lel

OP
CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #185
    Diego pass is the most powerful thing I remember from this game
    and it seemed to me argintina fought the whole match
    I was 10 years old
    :cry:
    Oh man, Careca was such a phenomenal striker.

Btw @Emmet something I forgot to mention. Ricardo Rocha, who played in that match, was one of my dad's childhood's friend. They played Football together when they were kids, some of his family still lived in the same street as the one I grew up in.

I remember one day, and this is a true story, right after the 94' WC, probably late 94 or 95... My dad was having a beer out the house and somebody parked the car in front of it. It was Rocha, he took a seat, a beer and they were talking for a while. I went inside got an old ball I had and asked him to sign it. He seemed like a cool guy. :D

Alex-444

Sep 5, 2005

Btw @Emmet something I forgot to mention. Ricardo Rocha, who played in that match, was one of my dad's childhood's friend. They played Football together when they were kids, some of his family still lived in the same street as the one I grew up in.

I remember one day, and this is a true story, right after the 94' WC, probably late 94 or 95... My dad was having a beer out the house and somebody parked the car in front of it. It was Rocha, he took a seat, a beer and they were talking for a while. I went inside got an old ball I had and asked him to sign it. He seemed like a cool guy. :D
    :tup:

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006

That's a fucking amazing story! I've wrote about him in the piece funny enough, he pushes Maradona to the ground just before he passes it to Caniggia.

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
    Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #190

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
    Not the best memory to have :D But the article is great as always, my friend Emmet. I've been reading some of your older articles and interesting is not a good enough word to express how captivating they are. Always looking forward to a new article, keep them coming.
    Thanks amigo, greatly appreciate it :D :MJ:

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
    http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/remembering-ronaldo-at-barcelona/

"I love [Lionel] Messi, I played many times with Cristiano [Ronaldo] and I adore him, Neymar is outstanding, Ronaldinho was exceptional—but if you put all of them together, you might get what Ronaldo was that season."

"Some players were technical, some were quick, some were strong, some were smart...Ronaldo was all of those. He was a beast; it was unfair to everyone else."

Quinton Fortune on Ronaldo
    @Zacheryah @CrimsonianKing @all the other dudes loving Ronaldo

- - - Updated - - -

If this guy never got injured, still one of the biggest what ifs in sport

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
    http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/remembering-ronaldo-at-barcelona/

"I love [Lionel] Messi, I played many times with Cristiano [Ronaldo] and I adore him, Neymar is outstanding, Ronaldinho was exceptional—but if you put all of them together, you might get what Ronaldo was that season."

"Some players were technical, some were quick, some were strong, some were smart...Ronaldo was all of those. He was a beast; it was unfair to everyone else."

Quinton Fortune on Ronaldo
    @Zacheryah @CrimsonianKing @all the other dudes loving Ronaldo

- - - Updated - - -

If this guy never got injured, still one of the biggest what ifs in sport
    I agree. We see today that Messi is very clinical when he gets space, in an era which restrict allready very average to weak defenders. Sometimes you see him abuse the space between defenders for a mazing run, and he's insane at it.
    But thats modern defenders, and modern strict fouling.

Ronaldo ? He made the space. There are so many compilations of him seemingly beeing closed down. He's my greatest player in history. Today he would fly past opponents. Back then, they could easily foul you. So he had to use tricks and pure technique to send them on the wrong foot.

I remember the cup final between inter and lazio. Closed down by Nesta, Mihajlovic and some other cm. fancy feetwork, elastico and got past. Consistantly raped Nesta the entire game. No fucking chance, shitty inter won 3-0 against a team that was levels ahead of todays juventus.

I remember that time he took ayala on the side. You need to watch it in slow motion to see, cause it looks like he's making some unnatural move, its my favorite dribbel of all time.

This guy was just 20-22 when he was absolutely insane. Messi was amazing at early age, but significantly kept developping untill he was 24-25 at his best season.

Ronaldo got injured and didnt had any incentive to further develop. If you played the best defences in history, and rape them without training, how does one motivate ?

Imagine, if Maradona and Ronaldo played at the same era, and Il fenomeno never got injured.

I'm sorry, i saw this ronaldo. I never rated messi 'cornering' past poor defenders. I saw ronaldo humiliate legends. Saw Ronaldinho do sick things against lesser legends. I just liked that alot more.

Also this is why i like Pjaca. Fucking stepovers, where have you been

- - - Updated - - -

I love that part

"he quickly realised he wasent going to be gifted oceans of space like in la liga"

Adapts and scores 34 goals in 47 games aged 21 in his debute season in that league when it was amazing as balls if you win 3 games in a row

Fucking hell, what a player

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)