Old-school Football (Anything pre-2000's) (2 Viewers)

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
Thanks guys :tup:, CK interesting that it's a myth, you wonder then if he was allowed to leave then why didn't he go at some point? I suppose Brazilian football was at a pretty high standard in the '60s, but would have been nice to see him in Europe, and playing for us too :D

We tried to buy Eusebio too but supposedly the government intervened

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #142
    @Emmet Also there was a sort of ownership that the clubs had over players back then that made them stay. Players were tied to their labor contracts, they had to have their saying or they couldn't leave. Or... they could and good luck finding another career somewhere else.

So even though his regular contract would run out every 3 years or so, he was pretty much like a property, a patrimony owned by Santos institution. Some might call this "slavery" but i've never heard of a slave making that much money. :D

Decades later FIFA did something about it and coincidentally asked Pelé for the rights to use his name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelé_Law

"The Pelé Law is a Brazilian law that forces professional sports clubs to observe business law and pay tax within two years.
    On March 24, 1998, Law N. 9.615/98, stipulates that by 2001 clubs can sign a maximum five-year contract with a player when he turns 16 and stand to receive only a "penalty fee" of up to 100 times his monthly wage if he leaves before then.

If a player fulfills the contract without renewing then he can leave and join a new club as a free agent. The previous club receives no transfer fee or compensation in this transaction with his new club."

All in all, the only way Pelé could leave is if the club allowed him to. And they did, but only when he was older and close to the end of his career.

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
    Wow I didn't know that at all, thanks my man :tup:

I'm currently reading Golazo! the history of Latin American football, pretty good read so far.

Bought Garrincha's book also

Jul 11, 2014
    The F1 remains as of 2013 one of the fastest production cars ever made; as of July 2013 it is succeeded by very few cars including the Koenigsegg Agera R, the SSC Ultimate Aero TT,and the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport. However, all of the superior top speed machines use forced induction to reach their top speeds, whereas the McLaren F1 is naturally aspirated.

piotrr

Мodеrator
    Sep 13, 2011
    Bad luck Canizares' stories:

-was told that his mother just passed away during the halftime of the UCL 2001 final.
    -missed the 2002 World Cup after accidentally shattering a bottle of aftershave in his hotel sink. A piece of glass fell on his foot, severing a tendon in his big toe. He was supposed to be the first-choice gk.

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #147
    Bad luck Canizares' stories:

-was told that his mother just passed away during the halftime of the UCL 2001 final.
    -missed the 2002 World Cup after accidentally shattering a bottle of aftershave in his hotel sink. A piece of glass fell on his foot, severing a tendon in his big toe. He was supposed to be the first-choice gk.
    [h=1]Thread: Old-school Football (Anything pre-2000's)

:D[/h]

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #155
    I don't think many people outside of Brazil ever seen this goal. I remember watching it on the news on the same day and everybody in Brazil had a laugh about it for weeks. His post match interview is also the funniest, just a naive kid fooling one of the best Gks in the game. That's Ronaldo :D

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015

i know why you like him :klin:
    Thankful for this but not only...Ronaldo was the most exciting striker to watch in my entire football fanning career that started in mid 90s. That explosiveness and deadly certainty he is going to score right now and that two defenders in front of him won't be able to do shit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)