Old-school Football (Anything pre-2000's) (6 Viewers)

OP
CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #161
    I always thought Dybala reminded me a bit of the old Ronaldo, the way he moves with the ball at his feet.

There's just a little difference. Dybala's 21. Ronaldo at 16 years old was already the better player.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Nomuken

NUMB
    Contributor
    Dec 14, 2009
    No big deal. Today's world stars look worse than 16yo Ronaldo.
    Agreed there's been a decline in world football in quality of play. Either you can't get away with the tricks they pulled off back then, with the current defense in Europe or where just in a decline.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
    :tup: i remember that article. some english players may actually become interesting pundits and good writers.

just on a sidenote: last night the national tv broadcasted the city-juve match. the two pundits were 2 (ex-)players. one scored against manchester united in the cl, the other played 10 seasons in the pl. they know nothing about serie a tho, and they kept renaming our players to stuani (sturaro), hernandez (hernanes) and pideon (padoin). :rofl: what a contrast to neville or lineker.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
    Still the best player ive seen live.

in his day, defending was different. Today you just keep it close and wait for the foul as you run aside.
    Back then, youd get torn, you needed brilliance, agility and tricks to send defenders the wrong way.

Really like them vids of he or zidane showcasing how they send aggressive players thw wrong way with just ease.

Look how quickly he executed that. Then notice that big gut. Yeah..

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #173
    Still the best player ive seen live.

in his day, defending was different. Today you just keep it close and wait for the foul as you run aside.
    Back then, youd get torn, you needed brilliance, agility and tricks to send defenders the wrong way.

Really like them vids of he or zidane showcasing how they send aggressive players thw wrong way with just ease.

Look how quickly he executed that. Then notice that big gut. Yeah..
    :agree: The more I watch modern Football, the more I see how very few players are actually truly skilled, it's more about speed and cutting to the side of the defenders, not actually confronting and getting past him using skills. And how one is always waiting for a foul it's become a disease.

Rivellino said it best, players today spend more time baiting for a foul/on the ground than actually playing. In his time it was "wrong" to let the ball go out at any given time, they always wanted to keep it on the pitch, playing.

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #175
    :agree:

- - - Updated - - -

Damn i recall how defenders use to step out and tackle forward

A forwad sliding tackle, can you imagine !!

Miss those
    Refs today would easily start showing red cards for those.

Seriously, man... one of the funniest things to happen in Football in the last couple of years was at the last Copa América, when Messi complained about being tackled too much and too hard and the ref goes "This is how we play in América" which translates to stop being a pussy, you soft fuck. :lol:

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
    Refs today would easily start showing red cards for those.

Seriously, man... one of the funniest things to happen in Football in the last couple of years was at the last Copa América, when Messi complained about being tackled too much and too hard and the ref goes "This is how we play in América" which translates to stop being a pussy, you soft fuck. :lol:
    For that game alone, the 2015 Coppa America will keep a special place in my heart.

Each night i was like, YES, lets watch some 90ties intensity football, where tackles are normal, diving is outlawed, and the cards dont matter.

Then you recall players like Zidane, Platini, Ronaldo, Romario, Rivaldo, etc thriving under such brutal displays

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
    @CrimsonianKing @PedroFlu

Writing a piece on Brazil vs Argentina at Italia '90, Diego's legendary run through half the Brazil team etc, you guys any recollections of that game and what's the brazilian take on it after all these years? I know Lazaroni wasn't really like because he tried to adapt an european approach.

Any insight would be appreciated!

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #179
    @CrimsonianKing @PedroFlu

Writing a piece on Brazil vs Argentina at Italia '90, Diego's legendary run through half the Brazil team etc, you guys any recollections of that game and what's the brazilian take on it after all these years? I know Lazaroni wasn't really like because he tried to adapt an european approach.

Any insight would be appreciated!
    I don't think Pedro is that old, bro :D

Well, well... What I remember from 1990's WC? I remember it was the most boring International competition I have seen to this day. I remember Romário got injured just months before and didn't make it.

I remember how the whole country talked at length about the incident where their medical staff gave our players bottles of water that had some sort of tranquilizer and if we hated Argentina before ( 78' when they bought the game against Peru to see us out) this was yet another reason to hate them even more.

Lazaroni will always be known for trying to "Italy" Brazilian Football and was hated for it. I don't remember that much about his work nor did I care for tactics back then so I can't be of much help here. But I can say this, by that time late late 80's early 90's Brazil didn't play the beautiful football anymore, Football itself was changing and having 2 volantes became very popular. People thought it killed our offensive and world wide known fancy game.

I also remember around the time Brazil vs Argentina were probably the most violent matches you could watch. Compared to today's standard almost every foul would be a straight red card today and I'm not kidding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)